• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

700 5R 24" VS 20" Threaded

Re: 700 5R 24" VS 20" Threaded

I'm not sure what caliber you are looking at, but remember with a shorter barrrel you are going to lose about 200 feet per second more or less. I own two 5r mil spec and both are full length barrels, I love them both.

4" difference does NOT equate to 200fps

I would be surprised if you see 100fps difference, rule of thumb is 25fps per inch ... thou this has been shown to be a WAG at best. factory barrels tend to lose more, custom barrels less.

200fps loss in 4" ... i would toss barrel

i prefer short barrels 20 to me is ideal

I have the 20 inch and it has a threaded end, the 24 did not have it.

2012-04-16155736.jpg

I could be wrong, but I think there was a thread started not too long ago with this same topic, try the search bar off to the left.

But as far as my opinion, I would go with the 20 inch barrel. You don’t lose too much FPS, while it shaves off some weight and makes the thing a bit more mobile

I may be using the search wrong, but I'm using the one on the right side of the screen and it opens up another window of google. Thanks for all the input . . . I know its hard to help noobs, I'm really into archery and am much more experienced on Archerytalk have great feedback and thousands of posts. Looking forward to do the same on this sight so I can be treated with some cred lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mossyoak79</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I may be using the search wrong, but I'm using the one on the right side of the screen and it opens up another window of google. Thanks for all the input . . . I know its hard to help noobs, I'm really into archery and am much more experienced on Archerytalk have great feedback and thousands of posts. Looking forward to do the same on this sight so I can be treated with some cred lol</div></div>

No problem, i wasnt trying to call you out as a noob, i myself am a noob. i just remember reading a few threads on this, since i had the exact same question a couple of months ago. the general outcome of those threads said that the 20 inch didnt really lose much FPS, but it did lose some. so if thats super important to you, then the 24 might be the way to go, if you dont mind dropping a few FPS, and would rather have the lighter gun, go for the 20

We're talking about a 308. Your intended use does make a big difference. I would never put anything over 20" on a 308 bolt gun, and I would do pretty much anything with a 308. If you are going to sit at a range and shoot but do nothing else, why not get a 24", but any other use and you will be in the mobility (and coolness) vs. marginal FPS gain debate. What you get for 4" is not worth it IMO.

20" is enough for me to get out to 1000 yards if needed with my handloads in my .308 SPS Tactical. What else could you need with a .308?

There is a writeup on .308 WIN on this site that should answer all of your questions:

http://www.6mmbr.com/308win.html

Be honest with yourself on what you intend on using the rifle. Are you using the rifle as LE or military perched on a roof and need as compact a rifle as possible? Do you see yourself trying to stretch your .308's range to the max? If the answer to both is "no", then it really doesn't matter that much then; go with what you get a better deal with.

How much extra does 4" of barrel really weigh, especially compared to everything else you are carrying? Not much, so go with what you get a better deal with.

If you plan on running a muzzle brake or a suppressor, you might be able to save a little money with the 20" threaded. Enough to make it break out? Probably not. I suspect that for your intended use it doesn't really matter that much; so, go with what makes YOU happy
wink.gif

FWIW, the GAP Hospitaller has a 24" barrel length, the thunder ranch has a 22" barrel length, the US Army M24 uses a 24" barrel, and the USMC M40A5 uses a 25" barrel (24" from the recoil lug). That's a trend worth considering

I would buy the 20. It's more than capable and cuts down on the size.

Since you're asking, you probably don't have an immediate need for a brake or suppressor.

If you get the 24", you can always have it threaded, cut down, or both should the need arise.

Do they make either of these 5R's in a left hand model? My buddy is a lefty and getting his first!

When I asked they told me no on the left handed I will be shooting it lefthanded

I,m a lefty also
there is a separate for sale section here just for the gifted.

Kinda hidden away in the WTB/WTT section

IMHO REM 5R barrel way over rated, hammer forged lol
when was last time ya saw a hammer forged barrel win anything?

Hit the for sale section, buy once cry once