• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 700 bolt swap question

19Scout77

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2007
GA
I have a 308 bare action and my buddy a 223...both of which are going to be used for custom builds. Can we simply swap bolts or must other changes be made to use the 308 bolt in a 223 action, and vice versa? Thanks.

Mag feeding I'd say no other changes that I know of, if feeding from a box mag then I'd wonder if the feed rails would give you issues. A set of calipers and the two actions side by side would answer those questions.

Jason

Should be fine with AI mags. Rail width is the same between the two but rail length and bevels are different so no go with std mag boxes.

Edit: The bottom of the 223 feed rails are not beveled so I can't say for sure an AI mag will fit. Usually there is some clearance on a 308 action with an AI mag and feed rails so there may be enough clearance with the 223. Can't say for sure because I haven't actually tried it.

Last edited:
A strong resistance well entrenched behind enemy lines is of critical importance.

No go, a .308 mag won't lock into the .223 action.

Please explain to me what this means. I know for a fact that a 308 AICS mag will lock into my AICS .223 and the other way around. The way I see it, the mag doesn't lock into the action. Instead, it locks into the bottom metal and either abuts the action or at least comes close. The mags have feed lips which I believe take the place of feed rails.

I have a R700 5r 223 in a manners stock with badger DBM, just tried my 308 aics mag and it locked in and allowed the bolt to close....

I can make a 308 mag lock in my .223 rifle, but it doesn't do it easily. The feed rails built into the action interfere with the feed lips on the mag. It's close, I'm sure tolerance between different actions and stocks will let it work on some like yours, but I wouldn't count on it. A couple minutes on the milling machine could fix it up though.

I have a R700 5r 223 in a manners stock with badger DBM, just tried my 308 aics mag and it locked in and allowed the bolt to close....

Not that it should matter, but try it loaded with the bolt closed. That's how I did mine, I'm interested to see if yours still locks the same.

5 loaded 308 rounds into the AI mag, bolt closed, mag seated fine. Opened bolt and fed the 308 cartridge out of the mag before it stopped at the 223 chamber... Tried it on my custom 223 built on a R700 action with the same results. No feeling of the mag bottoming out on the action in either. Maybe mine are on the generous side of spec spacing....

Or mine may be on the tight side, I bought this Manners secondhand with a DBM and pillars in a bag. Feeds .223 perfectly though.