• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing 700 Ejection issue

jackinfl

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2008
Fort lauderdale, Fl
I am having an issue with my 700. When rapidly running the bolt the empty brass is ending up on top of the live rounds in the magazine in the bolt raceway.

Is this a sign that it is time to replace the extractor and ejector?

Thanks

Re: 700 Ejection issue

in for answers, mine started this yesterday, regardless of how fast / slow I worked the bolt, empty case ended up on top of the mag.

Look to see if your extractor is cracked.
Is there ejector marks on the brass if so it could be leaving small slivers of brass binding the ejector.
Maybe you just need a new ejector spring.

There are several possible causes.

1) Sometimes when you get a difficult extraction it will rotate the extractor in the bolt-face on the Rem 700 (non-rivited) and cause the case to eject on a downward angle. The extractor should be at a 9 o'clock/10 o'clock position.

2) You have a broken or very weak ejector spring.

3)The extrator is damaged or broken, but still extracts, but does not provide sufficient tension for proper ejection. (were borken or severly damaged your problem would be in the actual extraction)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jackinfl</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am having an issue with my 700. When rapidly running the bolt the empty brass is ending up on top of the live rounds in the magazine in the bolt raceway. </div></div>

Is the case pointing forwards or backwards?

If it's backwards, that's usually from the case bouncing against your scope turret during ejection and then going back into the gun.
The solution is to correct the lenth of pull and move the scope, or use a different scope/rings setup.

If it's forwards, then look at the extractor to be at fault.

Thanks guys. I shot yesterday and all was fine. I cleaned and lubed the ejector. The spring is still very stiff. I cleaned under the extractor as best as I could. I don't know why it happened, but it is fixed now.

I looked ay me scope there were not any marks on scope at all.

Thanks

my ejection issue only seems to occur with federal brass. RP, LC, WIN, RG all eject without issue. my Savage ejects the federal without issue??