• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Gunsmithing 700 extractor shaving the rims of brass?

5RWill

Optics Fiend
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 15, 2009
    Mississippi
    I can't figure it out. I've never had a problem like this out of my 5R until now. Most of my rounds chamber fine then there are a couple that are hard as hell to chamber due to the cam on the bolt. Any ideas?

I have a similar problem to a worse extent with the .243 where extracting a rd actually bent the rim of the case took the .243 to my smith he says it's a die problem. So i've cleaned out the chamber of the .243, switched to another die, and then shot again, brass shavings back in the chamber. The load for the .308 is 1.2 grains under max and the .243 i think is .5 grains under max.

Or is this all normal and i'm just worrying about nothing?

The load consist of this.

Nosler .308 brass
    Berger 175gr BT LR
    44gr of varget compressed
    Fed 210m primers
    COL 2.810
    Brass OL right at trim length 2.005.

2w6aryp.jpg

20f6n3s.jpg

1vz9u.jpg

epkjll.jpg

Re: 700 extractor shaving the rims of brass?

Clean inside your bolt nose recess on the barrel, looks like there could be some debris combined with the brass making an odd round tight. Could also be the bolt nose contacting the barrel unless you can explain those cylindrical scrapes on the side of the bolt forward of the lug and the shiny spots on the face near the ejector. Look for shiny spots in the barrel recess to confirm contact, a dental mirror works well here.

I would submit the problem is in or around your brass but some additional info is needed to sleuth that.

Has all the brass you use been fired from this gun?

Has all the brass you use been fired from this gun relatively the same number of times?

Do you measure the length of the brass before or after resizing to see if it needs trimmed?

Cheers,

Doc

All the brass has been fired from this gun. It's been fired around 5 times but hasn't been trimmed yet. The reason it hasn't been trimmed is on the third loading when i seated the bullets, i treated it just like a resizing die. They were also at 2.014-2.015 right around max. When screwing in the seating die i didn't back off a turn or so after letting the ram bottom out on the die. So there was a major cam on the seating process and it resulted in a mega crimp so to speak. Sorry if my terminology is off. Well i fired those loads and instead of the brass stretching beyond trim length it just blew the crimp out and i lost a lot of neck surface. I've given thought to just starting over and getting a new batch of brass. Here is what they looked like two firings ago when i screwed up. Just looked at some that were fired yesterday and still around 2.005 way below max.

ifzwhh.jpg

343jltx.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Harry Callahan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Clean inside your bolt nose recess on the barrel, looks like there could be some debris combined with the brass making an odd round tight. Could also be the bolt nose contacting the barrel unless you can explain those cylindrical scrapes on the side of the bolt forward of the lug and the shiny spots on the face near the ejector. Look for shiny spots in the barrel recess to confirm contact, a dental mirror works well here.</div></div>

Is it normal to have tiny bits of brass right at the front of the throat?

The shiny spot on the end of your bolt is normal. They all have a little bump somewhere and it rubs with no case or firing pin load on it as in opening the bolt when dry firing. If you have any doubts about the bolt touching close the bolt release the firing pin and see if the bolt moves front to back and side to side.

I had the same issue when I tried using full resized brass in my new gun with a match chamber. The brass was lapua that I'd shot in my howa 1500 and resized it for my new gun, some worked some didn't. The ones that didn't work either bent or broke a piece of the rim off. Talked to my smith he said try new brass and did and haven't had a problem since. He also said that the dies don't always resize accuratly which became evedent too and I'll be investing into some redding match dies. If I were you I'd try some new brass and maybe get some nice match dies. Hope this helps!

The brass has only been fired in this gun. Though i messed up once with this lot. Might try a new die before biting the bullet and buying lapua. Been wanting a redding comp seater and resizing die for some time now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave Tooley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The shiny spot on the end of your bolt is normal. They all have a little bump somewhere and it rubs with no case or firing pin load on it as in opening the bolt when dry firing. If you have any doubts about the bolt touching close the bolt release the firing pin and see if the bolt moves front to back and side to side.</div></div>

I'll have to look at it when i get home. Is it normal for brass shavings to be around the throat like in my second picture? I read that i could uniform the extractor groove to reduce the brass shavings also.

You can polish the extractor with a small Cratex wheel. That won't eliminate the problem but it will greatly reduce it.