• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

700 long action

Would this lend itself to conversions?

Didn’t Remington have a bolt for the mil that was a 308/338 combo kit?

What do the Marines say is advantageous about such a beast?

./
I thought that it was the US Army that used the long action so that they could convert the rifles over to 300WM. Didn't the Marines build their M40's on short actions?

Reactions: LRI
I thought that it was the US Army that used the long action so that they could convert the rifles over to 300WM. Didn't the Marines build their M40's on short actions?
Correct..... thus my question to Hawk. Maybe he has other info.

And it took 3 decades for Big Green to start actually converting some 24s to WinMag. ....

Just in time to have the Mk22 adopted......

./

Correct. My error.

The point I was trying to make was at least one service found one advantage to the .308 on a long action.

Correct. My error.

The point I was trying to make was at least one service found one advantage to the .308 on a long action.
There are two stories postulated on the reason for the long action, one was that it was for the eventual switch to .300 WM, another was that there was a mistaken belief that there was a huge surplus of 30'06 match ammo still in inventory and they would build the rifles in 30'06, once the proposal went out and it was discovered that there was insufficient ammunition, then the change was made to .308. I would believe the later just because it is stupid enough to come from the Government.

Either way, there is no advantage to building a .308 on a long action, unless that is the action that you have, then you might as well build a 30'06 and take advantage of the greater capacity.