• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

700 LTR vs 700 5-R?

amauro1

Private
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2011
NY, USA
Hello all, I currently own a 700 LTR with a Swfa SS fixed 10x scope, mainly used for target/competition shooting. I just bought a 700 5-R milspec with 20 inch threaded barrel also. No scope for it yet ( haven't decided), but now I'm looking to retire my 300 magnum and pick which 308 would be better off taking out in the woods and using for bear, deer, etc.. Any inputs on which is better to set up for a completion gun and the other for hunting?

Re: 700 LTR vs 700 5-R?

I have both in 308 and have taken deer with both. I like the LTR better for hunting as it is lighter and handier. While the 5R can work for hunting from a stand, not my 1st choice, much better for matches. If the fixed 10X suits you for target work put it on the 5R and a lower powered scope for hunting.

OFG

I was thinking that myself, I was never a fan of the parkerized finish on the ltr, any opinions on the nikon buckmasters scope for hunting? Or should I go swfa 3-9?

My 4.5-14x40 SF buckmaster is fine most of the time but is WORTHLESS in low light which makes it unfit for hunting rifle duty, IMO. Holds a zero, tracks accurately, and is clear during the day, but is useless as a brick about 30 mins from astronomical twilight. I'm now a believer in the 30mm main tube and a 44mm+ objective. Oh, and AO or fixed parallax on hunting rifles unless you are spending real money.

I've had a 5R 20inch Threaded Barrel and Loved It! It was very balanced and shot extremely well. Actually I have not seen/heard a 5R that didn't shoot well.

I would suggest to setup the 5R as a Hunting/All Around Rifle with a good Mid Range Scope.

Since the 5R is All Stainless it'll be better suited for all kinds of Hunting Environments.

As for the LTR use it as a Donner and rebarrel in a .260 or a 6.5 Creed and turn it into a full out comp rig.

They're factory Remingtons: It will depend not on the model, but on which rifle was built better at the factory.

Like with all Remingtons, YOU are the quality control. Shoot them to find out.

I have both rifles too, however my 5R is a 24". I have a trijicon 2-10 which is on my hunting rifle. I would just stay with the LTR 308. It is a great shooting rifle. I would just change to a variable scope.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: iyaoyas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the twist the same in both?</div></div>

no,
ltr is 1-12"
5r is 1-11.25"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oughtsix</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm now a believer in the 30mm main tube </div></div>

Just so you know, the 30mm main has nothing to do with twilight performance. Lots of people think it will make their scope "brighter", but the real application is so that it can be thicker (thus stronger) and/or to increase erector travel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the real application is so that it can be thicker (thus stronger) and/or to increase erector travel. </div></div>I see those ads in the back of magazines... So it really works, huh?!
laugh.gif

My erector travels twice as far as before! Now, if I could get the old lady to double-turn the knob!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scissorhands</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: iyaoyas</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the twist the same in both?</div></div>

no,
ltr is 1-12"
5r is 1-11.25" </div></div>

My LTR shot great with Fed 168's & 175's, why do people turn to the 1-10 twist?