• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

700 LTR, what great shooter..

ccoker

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 2, 2008
Central Texas
www.tacticalgunreview.com
Hello all
new to this forum, active in other hunting/shooting forums
lurked a while here...
very knowledgeable and no BS kind of guys

Been considering getting another bolt gun for a while, more of a hunter really but wanted a nice "precision/tactical" type gun and the LTR fit the bill.
I have shot Sakos most of my life and like ARs and have been heavy into the 6.8s for a while..

I scored a very clean 700 LTR with a jewell trigger from my local FFL today, mounted my Kahles CL 3-10x50 Multizero on it.

did my first range session this evening

worked up a few loads, stopped on #2, from the Sierra guide
43g of Varget, Federal brass (got Lapua in today) CCI BR primers and 165g Sierra Gameking BTSP, 2.80 COL

I may later try some hotter rounds, but these out shot the Federal Match, so..

the Jewell trigger is NICE and VERY light, I need to increase the weight, it's got to be down in the ounces.....

I am quite happy with the gun and hope to wack a hog over the weekend with it

4 shots (all I had of this load)

002ve.jpg

Re: 700 LTR, what great shooter..

You can't go wrong with the 700 in my opinion. The LTR is the nuts! Try seating out a bit further than 2.800", closer to the lands.

Re: 700 LTR, what great shooter..

The LTR is a great rifle, even with just FGMM when I do my part it shoots a lot of .4-.5" 5 shot groups. I'd probably spend the extra couple hundred bucks on the XCR to get the better coating and 40x trigger if I did it again. Only thing I did to it was put it in a BC light tactical stock, bed it, and put a 40x trigger in it. It can easily be built up under 10lbs with a M3 scope and most of them seem to hammer. In fact an LTR with talley mounts, compact stock, light scope etc. could end up in the 8.5lb range I'd bet.

As to the nosler accubonds I tried their 165gr accubond 308 trophy load in my LTR and got a lot of vertical stringing, on the order of 1-1.5" at 100. Oddly I also found that the black hills 168 gr tsx match loads shot HORRIBLE in my LTR as bad or worse than cheap 308 mil stuff, on the order of 2" at 100. I must have got a bad couple boxes of them.

Best results for a factory hunting load I have got out of mine is the remington sirocco 165gr. They run around .75 c-c and seem to hit right where my FGMM does out to 600, even though spec shows them 50 fps faster.

I want to try the new HSM VLD hunting 168gr loads as well, but am still waiting for them to arrive. I also have some of the hornady 155gr palma match rounds to try out.