• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

700 Police Scope Base Screws 06-48 or 08-40?

astrohound24

Private
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2012
I picked up a Remington 700 Police .308 a couple days ago. Looking forward to getting everything together and shooting. I have seen some information online at various places that says the Police versions of the 700s are now drilled and tapped for 08-40 screws from the factory instead of 06-48. I have contacted Remington but have not heard back. I figure someone here will know for sure, but apparently some have ran into this. One source said he contacted Remington and one individual there didn’t know, and one said yes all police versions are 08-40 now. I am looking for a scope base and 30mm rings also. Seekins, etc. Anyways I just want to make sure I order the correct scope base with the correct screw size. If I can’t verify I guess I can try to measure the screws. I would feel better to have confirmation from some of you because I know you guys will know. I am open to suggestions also on a scope base and rings, bipod, etc. Thanks for your time.
Greg

Attachments

• 9339CABC-ED4B-4D12-9957-743691F0ADB2.jpeg
    9339CABC-ED4B-4D12-9957-743691F0ADB2.jpeg
    21.7 KB · Views: 62
I measured the diameter of one of the holes and it was nearly 5/32 across so I guess that translates to a number 8 screw but if anyone can verify what they know about it I appreciate it. Thanks.

Most likely 6-48 if your rifle is a few years old.

The 8-40 thing is relatively new for the 700P's.

You could buy a Leupold Mark 4 base as it comes with both sized screws and the base will work with either size.

I picked up a Remington 700 Police .308 a couple days ago. Looking forward to getting everything together and shooting. I have seen some information online at various places that says the Police versions of the 700s are now drilled and tapped for 08-40 screws from the factory instead of 06-48. I have contacted Remington but have not heard back.

The label on the box will actually show the 8-40 designation on most of the Police models.
20200604_212339.jpg

If yours is the 8-40 version, you can get the base already factory setup with the 8-40 screws and appropriate counter sinks.
NightForce: https://www.sportoptics.com/nightforce-base-700-short-action-a146.aspx

./

Reactions: Chasing
Well that settles it. Thanks for the info everyone. It ended up being #6 screws. I know this might be a deep hole question, but should I get it tapped out to the 8s or just not mess it. Thanks again for help.

Well that settles it. Thanks for the info everyone. It ended up being #6 screws. I know this might be a deep hole question, but should I get it tapped out to the 8s or just not mess it. Thanks again for help.
I wouldn't bother having them tapped. Ive never had issue with my #6s

Years ago I made a spread sheet to compare linear length of screw size & threads-per-inch to better understand any difference
choices make in length of fastener thread engagements. You can see from the chart a 6-48 screw actually has a tiny bit more engagement
length than a 8-40, not significant but the smaller screw is a comparable choice.
Screen Shot 2020-06-11 at 5.52.12 PM.png

Reactions: astrohound24
In my mind this has needed to happen for awhile. 6-48 is proprietary to the gun industry. Going to 8-40 just makes sense from a standards perspective. There's no real good reason to use the odd ball thread size. Kind of like 1/2-28 for muzzle threads in the US, and 1/2-20 in Europe...no real reason except to make it more difficult for the end user to source their own parts and tooling.