• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing 700 remington donor rifle question

Warbone

Private
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2011
I have been looking for a remington 700 rifle for a donor action to build into a long range perscion rifle. I want to do it as a project not just buy a perscion rifle outright. Ive got a guy that i can get a remington 700 338 win mag that was built in 1961. Im wondering if this action is to old and will give me problems or if i would be something i should use.
Any input out there would be a big help.

more info i am looking to do something in either a .260 remington, 6.5mm creedmore, or 6.5x47L, maybe a magnum caliber but i doubt it to costly to shoot.

There are no vital differences between old and new 700 actions so nothing to worry about there.

The fact that it is a long action magnum bolt face though makes that one less than ideal for what you want to build on it. Look for a 243, 22250, or 308 those will be your best foundation.

Sent from my GS5 on Tapatalk

Chances are its a 300 Win Mag or 30-06 not a 338. Remington didn't make a 338 back then, I don't believe.

Also, if it is a Win Mag or any other Long Action, I don't think you will want to do the cartridges you selected. I think those are generally put into a short action. I have a mid 60's long action that I will be building a 300 Win Mag out of a long action 30-06.

-JD-

What year did remington change the height of the rear scope base area? Dont want to get into issues finding a scope base!

It's a piece of junk and you don't want it. I'm a nice guy so I'll give you $50 for it - just so you won't worry. Okay, $100. </sarc>

My rem 700 LA receiver is serial number 14xxx. It is chambered in 300 win mag. I have put maybe 4,000 rounds through it -- it is on its fifth barrel, this barrel has about 900 rounds through it. It still shoots very well. I am thinking about replacing the factory bolt with a PT&G but then I will have to get it coated -- grrr!

Around 1995, Mike Walker (yeah, THAT Mike Walker) won a 200 yard match at the Super Shoot at Kelbys using a Rem 700 AMU wide-tang receiver. Mike was almost blind in his right eye so imagine a plate screwed into the scope base holes in the top of the gun that extended to the left with a scope mounted on it. He shot right handed but looked through the scope with his left eye. The gun looked like one of his 3-year old grand kids had painted it with spray point then thrown sand on it. He had this GREAT group and this sly little grin.