• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 700 SPS V entry level optic choice

baldwadc

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2010
Daytona Beach, Fl
I'm looking to get into the bolt action world and have picked my rifle. A Remington 700 SPS Varmint in .308 as it fits my needs, current price range, and can be upgraded over time. Now I just need to get an entry level scope for it.

Currently I only have access to a 100 yard range but I'm sure with a little driving and maybe a membership I can get farther and would like to be able to shoot targets out to about 4-500 yards. It will be 99% paper work but if I get to go hunting soon would like to be able to take it as well.

I'd like to spend around 200 or so, with hitting 300 as a high limit if it's really worth the extra few dollars. I know I'll be replacing the stock and probably the scope in a year or 2 as funds allow, but this is just to start me out and still allow me to buy some ammo.

I understand this doesn't allow me to really get into good scopes, but finances are what finances are at the moment. If you could please steer me towards the right kind of scopes for my purposes, and just as importantly steer me away from the junk not worth looking at.

Thanks in advance.

Re: 700 SPS V entry level optic choice

I would seriously consider a Super Sniper 10X...

It will serve you very well and hold up to any abuse you can give it.

Matt. (LEO SOUTH GA.)

Thanks guys, it really narrows my field down and time for even more research. But if that vortex doesn't have something scream no, that looks to be a fantastic deal I may not be able to pass up.

Not sure about the Vortex, but I would be hesitant on the millet. I tried several none would hold zero and the adjustments were mushy and inconsistent. They may have improved their product line.

My brother uses a Konus M30 6-24X50 on his SPS (308) and has been happy with it and has held up well. It cost him $279.

I had a Super Sniper and was very impressed with what I got for the money.

If you are on a tight budget, i would recommend the Bushnell 3200 10x mil/mil scope.
Keep in mind a decent set of rings and a decent base are going to cost you another 90 bucks.
I run am EGW aluminum one piece base and Burris XTR 30mm rings on 2 of my rifles, it is a very good, very robust setup and will cost you about 90 bucks from midway.

The SS 10x has a very well deserved, excellent reputation but is available in mil/moa only. If you act BEFORE the end of this month, Midway has the Weaver Grand Slam tactical on sale. It offers the benefit of mil/mil and variable power, but does not have a parallax adjustment, you have to turn down the magnification at close range. Not really a big deal, you don't need 10x to shoot at 25 yards anyway. This scope is only available through midway, it is a special contract.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=598484

I have a Millet TRS-1, I am very pleased with it.
It is what it is. A 300 dollar scope with a ton of features only found on more costly scopes. The glass is very good for the price, they do make a mil/mil version.

I did remember rings and a base, I'm currently thinking a talley 2 piece base and rings. My hope if the Vortex is still around when I get my money is to be able to buy a B&C stock in the next month or two after getting the rifle and making sure I like the scope. Taht would keep me at the 300 high mark I was looking for with more than expected. If it doesn't work I'll resell, take the (hopefully small) loss and start weighing the options again. Thanks again for the great advice.

Don't take a loss on anything, Save for another couple weeks or what ever it takes you to get the Super Sniper 10x and the EGW aluminum one piece base and Burris XTR 30mm rings. Yes it will cost you more than your $300 limit if you buy new (try for sale section for better price) and when your done there won't be anything thats going to brake, need replacing or limiting about your entire setup. 500 yard will be easy money for a setup like that. Just trying to save you the time and money from a bad decision.

This one is sold but you see what you can get into one for used
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...rue#Post1891568

My cousin put a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18x40 on his rifle and he is pleased with it. It came with target turrets, mill dot reticle, as well as side focus/ parallax adjustment. They were listed on Midway USA for right around $300. Good luck.