• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes 700 Tactical XCR .223, which scope?

Les Welch

Private
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2011
Wisconsin
Looking for a reasonably priced scope to put on the mentioned gun.

1:9 twist, 26" barrel.

Hoping to shoot 600 yards.

Don't have the money for a Nightforce right now. Was considering a SS in 16x or 20x, what do you guys think? Not big on the dot reticles, but would it work? Any other options? Reviews are good on the SWFA, and the price is great @ $300. Not sure if I like the fixed power? What power would work out the best for what I want? 16x, 20x? Thanks

Re: 700 Tactical XCR .223, which scope?

You're not getting answers because topics like these get posted nearly every day. Follow the link to the better search in my signature.

Re: 700 Tactical XCR .223, which scope?

It really depends on what kind of shooting you're going to be doing. For most, 10X is more than enough. If you go with either a 16X or 20X, I'd say that it's going to make your rifle almost useless in the field for anything under maybe 300 yards or so. If all you're going to be doing is punching paper and don't need the field of view, either might be fine.

Are you going to be lugging the rifle around or just shooting off of a bench. Larger scopes tend to be, well, large.

This is my SPS Tactical in .223 with a Nightforce 2.5-10X32 on it.
DSC_0001-3.jpg

This is a similar rifle in .308 with a 5.5-22X50.
DSC_0041.jpg

As you can see, a high magnification scope takes up a bunch of real estate.

Just keep in mind that although higher magnification makes things bigger, it also makes your field of view smaller. Going with a variable can help to keep things more flexible.