• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

700 vs Savage 10

CrazyManInCincy

Private
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2014
I know I am opening a can of worms. Please forgive me I am trying to get all the correct information to make a informed decision.

I have decided on getting a .308 since it will be easier to source ammo and not lose the farm while buying the ammo. I know I'll be putting a lot of rounds down range while learning the craft.
I have read a lot of good things about the Savage 10P-SR. I know the 700 is a proven platform. If I want a savage I will have to call the custom shop to order a left hand version. I guess to get to the bottom line. If I order the rifle what options should I look into? If I go for a 700 what version and I know right out of the gate it sounds like I have to switch the trigger out. Where it sounds like the savage will be good to go straight out of the box? I also never thought it be so hard to find a left handed rifle local.

not again...

i like savage but remington 700 has alot more options on the after market stuff. both can be turned into great shooters.

Life is tough for a southpaw.

For a Remington, seems like the SPS Varmint 84229 is your best non-Custom Shop bet. Unfortunately, probably unobtanium with the trigger recall right now.

For Savage...a used 10 FLCP-K, or maybe a 12 FLV with a barrel swap to 308 would be your best bet.

Most important question to you is....

What are you using the rifle for?
What distances are you shooting at?

My goal is a 1,000yd shot at some point. I am in Cincinnati Ohio not more then 3hrs from 1,000yd ranges. The closes range is 600yd. I am also just starting out so I am guessing a 100yd to start.

Would it be easier and cheaper to buy just a left handed action and barrel. Then pick an aftermarket stock since it seems like the first thing to do is buy a trigger and new stock.

Would it be easier and cheaper to buy just a left handed action and barrel. Then pick an aftermarket stock since it seems like the first thing to do is buy a trigger and new stock.

I am not sure it would be easier, but you'd certainly get the gun you want that way. Either way, finding a lefty is difficult. At least for Savage cause I've tried. In the end, I've just settled to shoot a right hand bolt as a lefty. Works pretty dang good for me and all the Savages I've owned needed no work. From box to range and I was pleased with their results.

Use the search button

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Holy shit why didn't I think of that!!!! Oh wait I did! Maybe I didn't find the info I was looking for and that is why I started a thread! Damn me for asking questions on rifles that the more threads I read the more I get unsure of what to get. That's why I asked the questions and ask for the opions of others. I am left handed and can't just easily find rifles at shops. That's why I asked if I was to order one from savage what should I ask about. If I was to order a 700 the same thing. No I don't have the money for a gap or fully custom rifle from a true spiecialized gun shop at this time. So damn me for asking a questions. Maybe you could have used the search button since you have been around for awhile and posted the links from the threads you found most useful.

Maybe you could have used the search button since you have been around for awhile and posted the links from the threads you found most useful.

Yeah [MENTION=52724]tylerw02[/MENTION], WTF were YOU thinking?????? Get to work on that, bitch. And while you're at it, change your user name to Siri. OH, and ask the OP if he'd like a coffee with his bagel. :D

haha.... wow.. that got out of hand really quick.

Here is my lil bit...

I have built a couple of (Right handed) custom Savages... they are really nice to shoot.. accurate too but they both had feeding problems that were only fixed by using after market bottom metal and mag combo. Not a big deal but a small hassle if you are on a budget.
Having said that, I am not stating that all Savages have feeding issues! I had a new Model 10 Predator Max 1 .223 that was silly accurate but feeding was poor but very slick with the SSS fishnet bolt body, certainly a worthwhile upgrade if you go the Savage Route... All sorted though for $200 extra and the Accustock is more than decent until funds provide another option.

The Second rifle was a well used 16 that had a heap of slop in the bolt... could have been shimmed but really couldn't be bothered so in the end I went down the Rem line but again.. they both had factory barrels and were very accurate.

The advantage of the Savage is that Barrel swapping is relatively easy and so with a bit of Googlefoo and the Savage Shooters forum you will be swapping out barrels and changing calibres in no time.
The disadvantage is that they seem to change their Screw Spacing every few years.. this seems to limit the Stock options unless you go higher end but having said that you can still get a decent HS Precision with Bedding block for a decent price and ebay plus other forum classifieds have stocks for sale but you have to know what model you have eg 4.4 or 4.27 Screw Spacing.. Top Bolt release... Bottom bolt release... Stagger feed.. blah blah... anyway.. you can ask on the forums and someone will tell you pretty quick!! And for the most part you can do it all yourself if you are so inclined. There are also excellent Barrel pre fit options from McGowan and goodies from PT&G plus SSS (fishnet bolt is smoother than the PT&G one in my opinion and I have had both).. also Stockade do some excellent stocks with good price point options on finishes.

On the other hand.. Remington seems to be the base of nearly all Custom Builds. The choice of after market mods is amazing. Stocks... scope bases...Barrels.. Bolts... the whole shebang.

One thing is clear though. Being left handed limits you slightly as does Budget but if you have the patience something will certainly come up in the classifieds... But there is nothing quite like doing your own research, building your own custom rifle and learning the process a long the way.

If you are really interested in Savage then sign up to the savageshooters forum and pay the fee to become a full member. They have articles outlining a heap of stuff and it also allows you to buy on the forum classified section.

Hope that helps... I live in NZ so my choices are limited greatly.. I have always said though that if I lived in the USA I would build Savage Rifles off the Varmint Action and stick them into a Manners stock... the cost of importing is ridiculous down here.

Remember though that it's better to "buy once and cry once"... That has certainly been my experience in regards to Stocks and Scopes... Wishing you had the other one usually ends up resulting in buying it anyway and costing more.

Good luck.

Andre

P.S The pics are the 2 Savage Rifles I owned.. the Bottom is the 16 22-250

Oh and that lefty rifle for sale is a great option!! Good price should be pretty accurate and you can save for a decent stock. Get a pt&g bolt face for .308 and a prefit barrel....

Attachments

• 1358740571792_zps66f325bb.jpg
    1358740571792_zps66f325bb.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 20140114_075622_zps94a704ae.jpg
    20140114_075622_zps94a704ae.jpg
    514 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
I used to be a 700 fan boy but sold all that stuff long ago when I got into Savage. Big green doesn't do much for me anymore as their quality has really tanked IMO. I believe Savage offers more of a value and the end user can swap barrels with simple tools.

I know both of them can put out duds but unless I come across a smoking deal on a trued/built 700, I won't be buying any.

As for a change of events, I'm building a Tikka now and it may become my favorite. It never ends...

The good:
You can call Savage and have them build a rifle you want.
You can order from whatever they carry on the factory floor.
The action you want, the barrel you want in the stock you want (as long as it will all go together)
The bad: You'll pay MSRP

Yeah [MENTION=52724]tylerw02[/MENTION], WTF were YOU thinking?????? Get to work on that, bitch. And while you're at it, change your user name to Siri. OH, and ask the OP if he'd like a coffee with his bagel. :D

Siri sucks. It should be changed to google. I am not a coffee drinker but thanks for asking.

Holy shit why didn't I think of that!!!! Oh wait I did! Maybe I didn't find the info I was looking for and that is why I started a thread! Damn me for asking questions on rifles that the more threads I read the more I get unsure of what to get. That's why I asked the questions and ask for the opions of others. I am left handed and can't just easily find rifles at shops. That's why I asked if I was to order one from savage what should I ask about. If I was to order a 700 the same thing. No I don't have the money for a gap or fully custom rifle from a true spiecialized gun shop at this time. So damn me for asking a questions. Maybe you could have used the search button since you have been around for awhile and posted the links from the threads you found most useful.

One of the first things you learn here on SH is that there is a wealth of expertise to digest, at the cost of listening to some very ignorant douche bags. If you ask very specific questions you generally get very helpfull feedback, however ask a general newbie question (especially one that was frequently asked before) and just bend over and drop your pants and get it over with... LOL . On a topic note I was faced with your same decision, I opted for a Rem 700 simply because Of Remington's rebate promo, my local Bass Pro had the exact rifle in stock that I was interested in, and the better (than Savage) aftermarket support. However a Savage 10FCP was my immediate 2nd choice, both shoot amazingly accurate right out of the box, so no matter what you win,

With Remington recall I have haven't been able to find any 700 locally or left handed. I know if I go savage I am going to have to order a left handed rifle from them. Would it may be cheaper to have a local dealer try to order a 700 or savage ? If I order through savage I will pay MSRP. What model did you go with?

With Remington recall I have haven't been able to find any 700 locally or left handed. I know if I go savage I am going to have to order a left handed rifle from them. Would it may be cheaper to have a local dealer try to order a 700 or savage ? If I order through savage I will pay MSRP. What model did you go with?

I scored my R700 about 11 months ago just prior to the Rem trigger recall. I actually have no problem with the X mark trigger once I adjusted mine down to a 2 lb pull. I bought a R700 SPS Varmint in .308. I don't care for traditional sporter type stocks, and the stock chassis on the sps's is a flimsy POS composite one which I had all intentions of throwing in the trash anyway. I payed $580 for my SPS. I added a B&C Tatical Medalist stock, a Sightron SIII 8X32-56 scope, and a Kahntrol brake, and im good for out to 1K yds. Amazing accuracy for a box stock rifle ( my rifle far exceedes my beginner skills for the short term anyways LOL). So if I was in your shoes now I would be doing the same, probably picking up the Savage 10. Here's a pic of my basic meat and potatoes R700 :

My goal is a 1,000yd shot at some point. I am in Cincinnati Ohio not more then 3hrs from 1,000yd ranges. The closes range is 600yd. I am also just starting out so I am guessing a 100yd to start.

where is this 600yrd range? i live in dayton, try to find a range more than 200yrd.