• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

700 yd Soda Can w/ Vudoo

Solscud007

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
May 25, 2022
Henderson, NV
My friends and I tried to hit a soda can with .22lr. The winds were terrible. We setup the can so the wind would be coming directly at us rather than across. Up to 14 mph head winds.

Kythe was shooting Cutting Edge out of his Vudoo but then ran out and shot SK Long Range.

Kevin shot Wolf Match Target out of his Vudoo.

Both were consistently within 2mils of the can. Finally Kevin got the hit as they shot almost at the same time. Blue is the can. Red is Kythe’s miss just before Kevin hits the can.

For those who are confused, we all agree this was luck and not skill.

C8689D0B-E433-4A38-8320-2CCBE5EE33F4.png

Here are the misses I was able to capture/see with the Flir See SpotIII thermal imager.

Last edited:
My friends and I tried to hit a soda can with .22lr. The winds were terrible. We setup the can so the wind would be coming directly at us rather than across. Up to 14 mph head winds.

Kythe was shooting Cutting Edge out of his Vudoo but then ran out and shot SK Long Range.

Kevin shot Wolf Match Target out of his Vudoo.

Both were consistently within 2mils of the can. Finally Kevin got the hit as they shot almost at the same time. Blue is the can. Red is Kythe’s miss just before Kevin hits the can.

View attachment 8160692

Outstanding 👍
Any chance you have pics of the builds? Were you using adjustable scope mounts or …?

Outstanding 👍
Any chance you have pics of the builds? Were you using adjustable scope mounts or …?
My friend Kythe used an Eratac mount.
Kevin just dialed all the way and held like 30 mils.

Attachments

• 47134360-16CF-47D7-A536-9DBFE0F1AA87.jpeg
    47134360-16CF-47D7-A536-9DBFE0F1AA87.jpeg
    558.7 KB · Views: 110
  • B88376C8-7DC4-498A-8454-2B359FE137D6.jpeg
    B88376C8-7DC4-498A-8454-2B359FE137D6.jpeg
    495.8 KB · Views: 106
Looks like fun. Haven't shot my Vudoo that far yet but when I get it back from a rebarrel I will be putting my Zeiss 4-25 oon it and it has 46.5 mils in it and I ran the numbers and it says about 48 mils to 700 to I might try it.

Looks like fun. Haven't shot my Vudoo that far yet but when I get it back from a rebarrel I will be putting my Zeiss 4-25 oon it and it has 46.5 mils in it and I ran the numbers and it says about 48 mils to 700 to I might try it.
How much rail/ring/mount elevation are you running?

How much rail/ring/mount elevation are you running?
I will only have 60 moa in the base and mount now which gives me about 40 mils but I am going to bump it up another 20 moa so I have the whole range and should be at about 45 mils of dial and can hold the rest.

Yes, a lucky shot. Who cares ? Its impressive and im proud for you. Well done.

He aimed to hit the can. He achieved his goal. Maybe lucky, but he set out to do it and did.

Not making it a pissing contest...I just have a dislike of people finding an application for the law of large numbers and confusing it with skill.

Not making it a pissing contest...I just have a dislike of people finding an application for the law of large numbers and confusing it with skill.
You sound like fun. OP, cool vids and looks like a fun time. Really getting bit by the rimfire bug myself right now so I love seeing this sort of thing.

Reactions: Solscud007
Sorry if there was confusion on your part. No where did I say this was skill. Yes it took some skill by my friends but in no way do any of us believe we “made” this shot. It was luck. Skill gets us to a certain point but when dealing with winds up to 14mph and the ridiculous swings of misses yes this was all luck.

But let’s take a step back. This was fun. That’s it. And I felt like sharing the fun with people online.

We do plan to revisit this with calm to no winds if we can and see if this is repeatable. But for now, let’s just enjoy the luck.

Thanks. It was more luck than anything else. The winds were terrible. My friends spent around 80-100 rds each to get this shot. LOL
That actually doesn't sound like a ton of rounds. my PB was a fist-sized rock at 539 yds. it took 62 rounds out of a 455PT, BKL adjustable 30mm base and had to power down to make it happen. 700 yards on an even smaller target... hit probability had to be single digit I bet if you threw your scenario into the WEZ tool

That's awesome.

The furthest I've gone is 605 on 24x36 paper (2 impacts/10 shots) - 41.26 mils, hold 3.5 left for wind.

It's not bad when the ground is dry and you can see dirt splash around the target.

It's fun to fk around and send it that far but eventually you're just throwing ammo away.

Soda can @ 700 would be cool tho.....

Sorry if there was confusion on your part. No where did I say this was skill. Yes it took some skill by my friends but in no way do any of us believe we “made” this shot. It was luck. Skill gets us to a certain point but when dealing with winds up to 14mph and the ridiculous swings of misses yes this was all luck.

But let’s take a step back. This was fun. That’s it. And I felt like sharing the fun with people online.

We do plan to revisit this with calm to no winds if we can and see if this is repeatable. But for now, let’s just enjoy the luck.
The more you try something, the better the odds next time. Looks like you had a good target location and spotting angle, another plus.
Blah, blah, but the first time we tried 22LR at 600 yards, all we had was a 12" circle on the flat in the middle of a prairie trail. Our spotting angle sucked, and it wasn't until we retrieved the target and looked at the ground for bullet impacts that it became clear 90% of our shots sailed over the target.
Lol, but like you guys, if I have a goal, I'm taking it to completion. Who cares how ridiculous or costly it gets.
Video your next try too, screw dan!

Reactions: Pipefitter I’m
Out of curiosity, how many 50 yard fudd groups did you have to shoot to achieve your skill level?

Reactions: Sniperstud
Out of curiosity, how many 50 yard fudd groups did you have to shoot to achieve your skill level?

Fun Fact: a 50 yard fudd group is a 50 yard group fired for the purpose of illustrating said fudd’s skill level to fellow fudds. It consists of no more than five rounds, and is fired at 25 yards. All day long. 🙃

• Haha
Reactions: iceng