• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

700P, LTR, or 5R

GreyShirts

Private
Minuteman
Dec 29, 2011
Oklahoma
So, I have narrowed my choices down to a Remington LTR .308 and a Mil Spec 5R .308. So which way from there? If it was soley based on price I would go with the LTR, and if that was the problem I would choose the 700P over the LTR just to save the money. I can get a 700P for about $800, I can get the LTR for just under $900, and I can get the 5R for about $1075. I have the funds to purhase a 5R, but if it(5R) isn't worth it then I will save myself the extra money. I'm not interested in Savage so please don't suggest them. I think they are great rifles, but I'm a Remington man. The rifle will be for hunting and shooting for fun. I'm not a noob to shooting or hunting, but I've also never shot a rifle that cost more than $600. I have good fundamentals and practice regularly, but my current rifle no longer exceeds my expectations; I feel it is holding me back from progressing. I would like to have actual testimony if you have handled these rifles. I don't want to hear about your buddy that owned one and it shot great. No offense, but this needs to be specific. Before you say it, yes I used the search function every way possible. The "search button" is why I'm saying be specific, other threads start jumping off topic and talking about other things. Thanks in abvance, sorry the lenghty thread.

Re: Which Rifle

I'm in the same boat you are. Given the rifles you have listed and based on my needs as a hunter as well I have decided on the LTR for my choice. My reasons are as follows: HS presision stock, (As opposed to the Hogue that comes on the Tac models). the fluted barrel to conserve wieght and, the reliability of the remington. I too will be hunting with it although I am 1st and foremost a bowhunter. I have taken a interest in rifle hunting again. I also want to shoot for fun at the range and have the ability to "reach out there" for fun if I want.
I have been watching GunBroker and have seen the LTR for less than 900. I guess my overall thinking is, Lighter gun, better stock, and more money for the optic. Opinions may vary but thats my take on it.
Good luck and good hunting.

When I say 700P I'm referring to the 700 Police model, not the sps with the Hogue stock. The 5R, LTR, and 700P all come with the same basic HS stock. However, from what I've read/heard the stocks come in different lengths. I have the land to shoot from 1yrd to over 1000yrds. However, it's just for fun. I'm not into competitions yet. I also heard the flutes on the LTR really don't do that much weight/heat wise. Both, well all three of my options come with the x-mark pro from what I can tell. Which will be one of the first things gone when I make my purchase. The rifle will be with the intent to upgrade as my money and skills grow.

The deciding factor for me would be your shooting goal. The 700P and LTR both have 1:12 twist rates, the 700P with 26: bbl and the LTR with 20" bbl. The 5R has a mil-spec 24" 1:11.2 twist for heavier bullet stability. Having both a 20" and 26" 1:12 I can stabilize 168's and 175's up to 600 without issue, just haven't reached out further as of yet. I will tell you the shorter bbl gets more play simply because of portability (but I am limited on velocity because of the shorter bbl). The 24" bbl would be a perfect medium. Either way the extra buck seventy five is negligible in the long range game. That 5r will maintain its value in the secondary market.

One more thing, it is said that the 700P and the SPS-V share the same barreled action for the 308. If you are gonna restock the rifle anyway, the SPS-V is running a $50 rebate. So with the extra $300 you can pick up a nice stock from a hide member (thank goodness for rifle ADHD)

If I go with the 700P or the 5R I will have the barrel cut down to 20-22"s and throw a good bread on it. The LTR comes 20"s factory. The 11.25 twist on the 5R and the fact its SS is one of the reasons I can't turn away from it. I've heard/read it(5R) does a really good job with stabilizing. I currently have a VTR and it's 20"s, a great truck gun for the farm. So thats my reason for wanting something around 20-22"s. Also, before someone asks or says something. No I'm not planning on reloading, I just haven't gotten that far yet. AKA, I can't justify the extra expense to my wife at this point. That being said, I don't think the 5R's true ability can shine unless proper load developement is done. However, this is a work in progress.

Yes, reading your post, it sounds like you really want the 5R, and if you go for the others you may have that in the back of your mind. I do reload, but found that some long range palma type bullets really shine at 2900 fps. This is very difficult to do with a 20" tube. 168's and 175's no problem getting them to their best speeds.

Now you prob know that velocity from 24 to 20 is about 80 fps. Now to a reloader it may not be a prob, but I would see how it shoots with the 24" bbl before you cut it. I am pretty sure the same factory loads will not print the same with the shorter bbl, unless you just happen to hit a lower accuracy node.

Yeah. I know that it looses speed, but not to much and accuracy may improve out to 600yrds. Thats why I'm leaning to 22"s if I go with the 700P or 5R. Whatever I do, I don't want to second guess my decision 2yrs down the road. Which is exactly what I have done with my VTR, it was an impulse buy. I got hung up on the ninja cool barrel, and before I knew it I had one on order. Mistake, right? Maybe, but that dude will shoot. I have hit steel out to 1000yrds with it, but I was spotting splashes and using Kentucky windage. Nothing to brag about, and definately not a precision rifle. I'd say it is a 1moa rifle easy. Please don't bash my last comment!

I understand, the good thing is its still a 700 and it will knock a 300Y deer into never never land.

You should really consider reloading. Even if you get a Lee classic and a $20 Frankford Arsenal scale. You will only be neck sizing, but can tweak loads for your rifles. You may have to stick with the brass you shot from that specific rifle (because its flashformed to that chamber).

You shoot 5, nope, reload them...better, reload them..oh yeah! Heck I have to go back to the range to check my loads out. I have a full setup, but have a classic in every hunting caliber to take on hunting trips.

Man, I cant wait to retire so I can get some acreage.

I really need some first hand accounts on these rifles. Surely someone has owned one if not all at some point?

I shoot a 700 LTR and love it. Switched to a Jewell trigger and threaded the barrel for my suppressor, otherwise it's stock. Accuracy easily eclipses MOA with FGMM 168's and SW Ammo 175's.
I shoot the 168's out to 600 and the 175's out to 1000 and have never had a complaint about how the rifle performs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: greyshirts</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really need some first hand accounts on these rifles. Surely someone has owned one if not all at some point? </div></div>

You said hunting and shooting fun - I will respond in regards to this. I was in the same exact boat as you 3 months ago - so I just picked up this LTR (have about 200 rnds through it) I only have experience owning the LTR - (and shooting buddy's 700P - and him shooting next to me - never shot the 5R)...I keep up with my buddies 700P that has been worked on - (trigger and trued recv) he was shotting black hills .308 match....and some FMG/Mil surp S.A.....we were shot for shot for about 100 rnds.....
My thoughts:
The LTR (and the others mentioned) have heavier barrels. I used my LTR this year on a few hunts - and honestly, I felt bad beating the shit out of it in the NW....I don' think the HS stock would last long in the NW crap I crawl around in. Installing/removing the sling I cracked a tiny piece off the stock.
(I actually just picked up a Tikka T3 Lite for hunting - my thread on this page 30-06)
The LTR feels weird with a sling over your shoulder if you are used to normal hunting rifles. The barrel is so heavy - it just feels weird carrying it all day (it can be done - it's just not a hunting style rig).
I would assume you would go with a decent steel base, and decent steel rings - and decent Magnified glass - which all adds to the overall weight (keep in mind for hunting).
To be honest - I'm not exactly sure how my 20" barrel would do at 800-1000, I do plan on trying this year - and hopefully it will work. My LTR went from my hunting/bench/fun bolt gun - to now just bench/fun bolt gun.

Notes on the LTR accuracy....I slapped some temporary warne rings, and temporary Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 mil glass on it. I ordered and should have the Trijicon 5-20x50 glass shortly....then I'll do nightforce/badger rings as well.

I picked up some Fed Match Gold in 168 and 175....first time out to the range (actual 100 and 200 yard range) from a bench with front bag and rear bag - I did the below groups.
(the rifle - added the mag extender, and cheek riser for proper cheek weld)
I feel I could do much - much better at 200yds+ with a higher mag glass than my 3-9x40.
DSC_1087.jpg

168 gr's at 100 (left) and 200 (right)
DSC_1084-1.jpg

Top 2 groups are 175gr SMK's FMG....bottom 2 are 168gr SMK FMG....
DSC_1088.jpg

All 4 are 200 yards - still using the factory FedMatchGold...168 and 175....
DSC_1089.jpg

Then I started mixing up recipes - and trying my own re-loads....

.791" 4 shot at 100
DSC_1086-1.jpg

.447" 3 shot at 100
DSC_1087-1.jpg

.387 3 shot at 100
DSC_1088-1.jpg

.283 3 shot at 100
DSC_1222.jpg

.581 5 shot at 100
DSC_1223.jpg

.384" 3 shot at 100
DSC_1224.jpg

Also - my stock LTR came with what seems a very good stock trigger. I lightened it up as much as I could - and although the pull weight is not 1.5lbs - it stills feels and breaks like my Timney in another bolt gun. I LOVE a good trigger - and was ready to swap the stock POS out in this - but right now, have decided to hold off. My buddy with a 700P - said I got really lucky - and couldn't believe I wasn't joking after he pulled the trigger and found out it was still stock.

I agree with you greyshirts on the 5R twist - and also the stainless.....those are very big factors in your decision that should be looked at properly.
<span style="text-decoration: line-through">I just wish the 5R was 20".....
</span>
They do make a 20"!!!! Damit.
frown.gif
Wish I would have known that.
Hope any info helped ya -

Re: 700P, LTR, or 5R

Thanks for the info everyone, keep it comming. If anyone on here knows someone that owns a 5R on SH. Tell them to check this thread out and give me some feedback. Thanks again

I have a couple of 5r's, one 308 and a 223, I purchased these as my first/starter rifles and was never disappointed with either of them, in fact I am always impressed with how well they shoot. I also owned a LTR, I traded that for the 5r in 308, I can't really say the 5r is more accurate but it's no less accurate. Someone with more recent experience here with the LTR may know, but I think you get a much better trigger in the LTR, I want to say it comes with the 40x trigger but I can't remember for sure. The trigger in the 5r is junk IMHO and will need to be replaced or worked over.
You will have no probs reaching 1k with the 20" barrel providing your shooting the proper bullet.

Having owned both a 20" LTR and a 24" 5R, I'd look at the 20" 5R as the best of both worlds. But if you can, try out the stock first. Guys I know with smaller hands don't like the 5Rs stock. I liked it better...also had another inch of LOP...and that was appreciated. My LTR had a 40X trigger and it was nicer than the X-Mark Pro, but since that's probably all you can get now, if you don't like it throw in a Timney down the road.

I bought the .308 police model last month and it came with the 40x trigger not the xmark pro. It shoots 5 shot groups the size of a dime at 100 yards. It was 7 degrees outside with a 5mph head wind. 43 grn Varget 168 SMK.

target.jpg

I have the 5R in 308 and I love it. Have only gotten to take it out to 100yrds cause there aren't many places to shoot farther than that around me. It easily shoots one hole groups at 100yrds. It is a little on the heavier side for hunting but it's all up to how much is too much for you. I would say for you to just get your VTR worked over. New barrel, stock, trigger, whatever you want and you will probably be extremely happy with it. Just what I would probably do if I already had one in the same caliber.

The 5r is most likely the best rifle sub $1500 I can think of. I do like the stock on the 700p model better but that's personal preference.

I have owned all three and my favorite is the 5r. It is the most accurate 700 i have owned including my customs. My gun may be a fluke but I am consistently shooting 175 smk in less than than 3/16" group at 100yrds off a lead sled. One pro is the gun is stainless steel so weather is not as big of a worry. I dislike the coloring of the stainless though. Another plus is, Cleaning is a breeze. I shoot my 5R far more than any of my others. It makes me look good at our local range.

My .02

Stocks don't seem to be an issue since you can recoup funds out of either if you don't like. If you don't like a shiny SS finish, add money for cerakoat or some type of finish. Also, it seems the X-Pro will have to go, so add some more cash for a new trigger for the 5R.

I would safely assume the 5R will give you the most potential for long range shooting even though I observed a guy around 6 years ago with a stock LTR, at Big Piny's 800 yard range, win a competition against several custom rifles...(just check out blacktaco's targets a .283 and a .384 wow!) I once attempted to use extremely light rifles for hunting, and now I use a padded sling to carry most of the load while I stalk. However if weight is an issue, the LTR is lighter.

It seems to me you have to want the SS and the 5R "potential" to justify the 5R. As to the 20" barrel with the SS, a smith could probably cut and recrown for around 40.00 if the 24" is an issue. Flutes and stock = preference, and the stock trigger (imo) goes to the LTR. With all that said, I would still go with the 5R, just me.

Blessings,
BC

OP, I'll make this short: I have an LTR and a 700P; .308 and .300WM. I decided I wanted matching rifles so I looked into 5-R's in .223, .308 and .300WM. Found really good prices

If you want a 20" 5-R w threaded barrel, I know where you should be able to get one for just a little under $1000. Brand new. If you are willing to spend the extra cash and don't mind the stainless, I think this would be the way to go. PM me for contact info on dealer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blacktaco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I felt bad beating the shit out of it in the NW....I don' think the HS stock would last long in the NW crap I crawl around in. Installing/removing the sling I cracked a tiny piece off the stock.
</div></div>

Okay I had to address this- I don't know if you had a fluke or something, and I'm not saying the HS stock is the best build, but it IS built in the same way as the stock on the M24... And I hardly believe you put your rifle through more than we do... Our stocks have been rather reliable. Anyway, just wanted to mention that- for those who don't know may get the impression this stock is unreliable- that couldn't be further from the truth.

There is a guy at our gun range on our department that has his FFL, I only get guns through him (he gets good deals). Thanks to everyone for the input and keep it comming, this is a great thread for newbs; such as myself. I'm pretty set on the 24" 5R, I will have it cut down to 22"s I think (it definately won't stay at 24"). I did consider rebuilding my VTR, but I will end up putting just as much and probably more into it trying to get where I want...so thats a no go. I decided just buying a great base gun new is the better more efficient solution. I will keep my VTR and have it rebuilt into a better s/a caliber for my son in a few years (he's only 2 years old), it will make a great christmas gift when he's 8 or 10. Until then he will be stuck learning proper fundamentals behind a .22 and eventually .223, he won't start practicing for another year or 2.

Thanks again

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: blacktaco</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I felt bad beating the shit out of it in the NW....I don' think the HS stock would last long in the NW crap I crawl around in. Installing/removing the sling I cracked a tiny piece off the stock.
</div></div>

Okay I had to address this- I don't know if you had a fluke or something, and I'm not saying the HS stock is the best build, but it IS built in the same way as the stock on the M24... And I hardly believe you put your rifle through more than we do... Our stocks have been rather reliable. Anyway, just wanted to mention that- for those who don't know may get the impression this stock is unreliable- that couldn't be further from the truth. </div></div>
I honestly didn't know that (thank you) it makes me feel a little more comfortable. I have no idea on the punishment the stock can take. After a few days in the sticks, then cracking the stock @ sling stud - I put her away.
(the longest "hiking in" trip we did this year was 34 miles in 12" snow - in 3.5 days). I can't even begin to count how many times I slipped and fell on my rifle. There wasn't enough snow to shoe-in, so we were in boots. Not really any trails...beating brush and mapping it....

I know you gave 3 choices and said no to the sps tactical but if you think about it you can get the sps tactical for a little less than $600, throw away the junk stock, pick up a hs precision from a member here on the hide (they sell all the time for around $225) and be near the same place as the 2 options that are not the 5R.

I have the 5R in 308 with 24" barrel and I can you that it shoots to 1000 with ease. However I also have the SPS tactical in 223 with a HS Stock and it shoots good too. Once you get rid of the stock the SPS Tactical is a good choice.

Having owned all 3 at one time or another I can say that they are all basically the same rifle when it comes right down to it. The minor differences of barrel length, stock fit and weight all come down to personal preferences. Given standard variations in manufacturing tolerances you can have any of these 3 rifle models that will just plain shoot....however you are just as likely to get one that is "average", or slightly below. I have had a 5R that would shoot cloverleafs time and time again, sold it and replaced it with another that would barely stay within a MOA. Same with the others. I have an LTR that I doubt I'll sell because it is an excellent shooter (especially after my mistake dumping that first 5R). I have seen the same with PSS's or 700 P's.

Buy the one with the features you like. Or better yet find a used one that has shown its capabilities. You'll likely save some money and get something with known performance.

I have to agree with repiv, do not over look the SPS Short tacticals. I own one and would put up against any of the other three rifles in this topic. I also won the 800 yard tactical match at Big Piney last summer with it that bellycrawl talked about.
About the color of the 5R SS. That is what they make KRYLON for.

I have an SPS Tactical in .223 that was a 1"moa gun out of the box. I purchased a .223 5R and it was only a 3/4 moa gun at first. The butt pad of the 5R was damaged in shipping when I purchased the rifle so I was able to get a new stock for the gun and keep the damaged one. I took it to work with me and re-fiberglassed the rear portion that had cracked and painted the stock black. My SPS tactical with the HS stock off of my 5R now shoots .5 moa all day long. The hogue stock holds that gun back.

I agree with buggsb on this. I have an LTR that shoots extremely well and it will not be sold. I'm also considering a 24" 5R.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zwhetz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 5R now comes with the option of a 20" factory threaded barrel, looking to pick one up myself. http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2577921

and here's a link to a current gunbroker sale: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=271508893 </div></div>

I really, really, wish I would have known about this a few months back.
frown.gif

That will be by next bolt gun.

I felt the longer barrels were less balanced and nose heavy for me. I'm left handed, so my options were a bit more limited; I felt I was lucky to find an LTR. I also prefered the slimmer stock. The cost of the left handed ones are a bit higher, so I was at 1000 to start. The X-Mark Pro trigger was good, it adjusted down to right at 3 lbs with a nice break. I did replace it with a Timney anyways to get the pull down even more. The HS stock is nice, but you really will need to skim bed it (for whichever you choose) My LTR shoots .5 with hand loads and Federal Match ammo, and will even often surprise me with the cheap stuff. If I was you, I would handle all 3 if you can, just to get the feel and balance you like best. My guess is they will all shoot well, but you seem 5R biased, so just get that and move on with life.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BruceWayne</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 5r is most likely the best rifle sub $1500 I can think of. </div></div>

That's what I told my wife. Now she wants to know why I have almost $5k invested in it. I wonder if it has anything to do with the scope I just purchased
blush.gif

The "rifle" seems to always be the cheapest part of a good setup. Go figure.

para1505

Nice work with the SPS tac. Does Big Piney have 900 yards now? I thought they were working on extending years ago. Anyway, I learned the "hard way" how good some of those Remington 20" barrels shoot.

Blessings,
BC

I just want to tell everyone thanks for the info. I have decided on the 5R....I think. I will know next week after I call my FFL guy and tell him what to order. Until then I will go back and forth from the 5R to the 700P. As far as my wife knowing how much I'm spending, she knows what the rifle costs but will never know what the scope costs.

Okay, I finally did it!!! I pulled the trigger and went with the 5R Mil-Spec .308. He will get the order in today and I should have it by Friday. My smith told me not to worry about the factory trigger, he will make it very nice (I trust him). I'm wondering what is a good bottom metal for the price. I was told to look at Surgeon, but I also see people with Badger, Wyatt, etc... Also will be in the market for 20moa base and a set of rings. Any suggestions will be greately appreciated.

Things I want done in order of importance:

(1) Cut the barrel down to 20-22"s recrown and thread, otherwise I like option #2, let me know what ya'll think.
(2) Get a good break (one that will accept supressor)open for suggestions on the break.
(3) I will paint the stock myself (already went and got the paint)
(4) Have barrel, action, bm, base and rings done in duracoate or cerakote (open for suggestions), not sure on what to do with the scope yet (krylon or other coating)
(5) Get a better scope, looking at Vortex PST FFP, or FFP millet (also open for suggestions, just trying to stay below $900)
(6) Have action trued, but that will be later, like next year later.

As always thanks for the info. I will try to post pics of the rifle after I get it. However, I'm not a TI guy so we'll see.

First off - congrats!!
But - did you see the posts above about the 5R now coming in 20" threaded? I found them on-line for barely over $1,000 shipped to your FFL....(not sure what you paid - but this would eliminate you having to cut and thread).....

ETA - also, rings/bases....I pretty much left myself with only a few choices which I believe to be the top-tier. Badger, Nightforce....and Seekins was my third....

First off, congrats on the new rifle! I only found your post today or would have responded sooner. I have personal experience w/the 700P and the 5R. Presently shooting a 5R in .308 and couldn't be more pleased. My 700P was a decent if not stellar performer capable of sub MOA groups. The 5R I purchased has turned out to be cabable of just over 1/2 MOA. (I'm sure in more capable hands it could do better)I realize it's a little late for opininions regarding one over the other, since you've made your purchase. I myself am a big fan of the stainless construction of the 5R. My rifle has yet to be worked over by a 'smith but I plan to send it to Jon Beanland (here in the glorious Sooner state w/us)when funds permit. I almost imediatly replaced the trigger with a Timmney 512, and have presently installed it in an AI AICS. Very little load development has been done to date, but the thing seems to love FGMM with the 168g SMKs. Buy a good mount, rings and optic and I'm sure you're going to be pleased. I chose a base from Murphy Precision. I have used Near and Badger bases as well on various rifles and been happy with them also. As to optics,have always been a Loopy guy, but discovered Nightforce a couple of years ago and can recomend them highly. We have ordered a Vortex PST for my friends rifle, but it's been backordered for a couple of weeks so I haven't had the chance to form an opinion there.If I like it I may order one for an AR SPR I have. Good luck with your project, let us know how it all comes out. Stay warm this weekend, summer will be back in a day or two. (been a freakishly warm winter here so far, don't you think?)

I'm currently shooting a REM 700P .308 with leupold scope, CDI bottom metal, and Alpha mags. I've been running everything from 147gr bulk ammo up to 168gr Federal Match ammo through it and I have to say this thing is like a laser. My last rifle was a Savage 10FCP .308 with Nikon Monarch X scope and I never thought I would love another rifle more but I absolutely do! It is a very consistant rifle as well as solid. I personally don't see the point in getting a shorter barrel bolt gun but that's just me. I also run an AAC Cyclone on the end of mine which adds some weight and definitely some length but I don't mind it. Again that's my personal opinion.

Enjoy your 5R.....it is a great rifle. My 5R is a .308 / 24" model. Based on your needs I would have suggested a 5R with factory threaded 20" barrel to save on smithing costs. Regardless, looks like you have a good plan. Some suggestions:

- I would recommend Cerakote (mine was done by Phoenix Custom Rifles in Military Black)

- No need to have your action trued quite so fast. Go out and shoot the heck out of your factory barrel.....when it wears out, then have the action trued for a new barrel. Your 5R is a shooter.

Here is a picture of mine + first results (purchased in Dec 2011, shipped off to the smith in Jan 2012 to have some work done, now back in my hands):

R700Milspec5R_ResultsSummary_30Dec2011-1.jpg

Infidel_0068.jpg

Nice rig GTgunner. Now I'm gonna have to get mine cerakoted. what did it run, cost wise? I have a 5R in the ugly BS brown 1.5 AICS. It too lika the 168 SMK GMM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OD23</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice rig GTgunner. Now I'm gonna have to get mine cerakoted. what did it run, cost wise? I have a 5R in the ugly BS brown 1.5 AICS. It too lika the 168 SMK GMM. </div></div>

Thanks OD.....sell your skins and get the black or OD green skins. PCR did mine for $220....here is a link to their website:

http://www.phoenixcustomrifles.com/Prices_and_Services.html

Thanks. Will be checking it out. Have been eyeballing the Viper skins but haven't really done my research yet. Also been hankering for a new rifle in 6.5 something, but need to play a while longer with the toys I've got. Still haven't had the opportunity to shoot the .308 past 300 and I've got a nice pile of Lapua brass and SMKs to work with. The list goes on and on....do enjoy!