• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

700p vs 700 sps tac vs Sav Model 12 LRP

steelejones

Private
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2011
Maine
First this is an honest post I would prefer if all the fanboys stayed out of trying to turn this into a flame session.

I would LOVE to hear your input with arguments (pro and con).

I just now sold my AR15 so I can purchase/build my first long range precision rifle. My budget DOES have limits and im really hoping to keep my budget around 1k minus glass (glass will be a entire thread on its own after I purchase the gun).

My plans for this rifle ? I will not hunt, It will be a bench gun that will be used for accurate shooting out to 600 yards. I prefer to buy a cheaper ammo, something that will be plentiful that I can buy at any gun store. .243, 7mm, .223.

If you feel there is a gun that I didnt list above in the topic that would better fit my need PLEASE include it in your arguments, I would love to hear about it.

Im hoping this thread turns into a life changer for me as far as my shooting goes. This community has been so great for me so far and ive learned alot, with alot more to go.

Thanks in advance.

Re: 700p vs 700 sps tac vs Sav Model 12 LRP

Just so you know, Remington varmint rifles in .223 have a 1 in 12 twist. Not sure how well that will work for long range.

are you strictly searching for a rem 700? or are you open to other brands as well?

Im very open to ANY brand and type as long as its accurate and is in my budget.

To bad you sold your ar. you could have bought a flat top upper for it and you could met most of the criteria you listed above. you will want a faster twist barrel as mentioned above as most factory barrels are designed to shoot the lighter bullets (factory ammo) and have a slow twist rate. so factory .223 and .243 are probably out if you want to shoot out to 600. so your probably back to a .308 as factory barrel 1-12 are readily available and you can shoot 175 grain bullets which are also readily available.

ARborpro, It not that I didnt like my AR, i only sold it because the brand wasnt the greatest and my budget is limited and couldnt afford both guns. Some day ill get another AR but it will be a DD, LMT or one of the better brands.

I say jump on the Rem SPS tac. Then some middle-road glass and lots of FGGM 175. As the years go by, you can upgrade stock, glass, trigger, etc. But the sps will get you shooting and learning. Don't get too caught up in brand names...

I just recently purchased a new Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC SD with a 1 in 10 Twist, .308. It comes with the ghillie green Hogue Stock. I love it. I have a relatively cheap bipod and a CTK rear monopod.

I love this gun. I have shot the 700 LTR and an M24. I also own a Mossberg 100 ATR in 30-06. The SPS Tactical AAC SD is by far the best out of all in my personal opinion. You can pic one up for around 600 bucks too.

Yeah. Um, definitely the 700P in .308 if you can find one. Has the nicest stock available of the three you just mentioned. Has a 26" heavy barrel with a 1-12 twist. I am running something similar to a 700P set up (Stock, action, and barrel. Everything else is different). I am hitting under 0.5 moa @ 100 yards.

The 700p and the lrp come in hs stocks. I would recommend a 308 if you do not reload, plain and simple, there is just more in the way of factory choices over most, and the 308 has good factory match ammo.

Savage model 10 in the hs precision or micmillan are well worth a look, I have this model in the cabelas special with the choate tactical stock, it ran $700, and shoots 1/2-3/4 moa with federal gold medal 168 grainers. I don't know if this special is still around, I've had it skim bedded, it's heavy, but accurate.
The savage 12 ftr should be around $1000 as well.
Bottom line for me, if you want a tactical style stock and a rifle known for out of the box accuracy, savage 10fcp in the hs or micmillan, add the F/TR as well.
If you like more of a hunting style stock, Remington 5r, 700p, or the savage lrp fit the bill well.

if it's bench only.....just buy a savage f/tr in .223
shoot 855 all day long....prob can shoot 193 in it as well

when you get to the point of loading...run the 77's or 80's and shoot 1/2 or better moa out to 600, EASY

the great things with them are you buy them...and you're DONE. good stock, good trigger, great action, match stainless barrel....you literally have nothing left to do than to get bases and a scope on it

I agree that the 700p is worth the money.
that sps prob the most bang for the buck you can get.
look at both and see which stock you prefer

look on the used boards and find a great rig someone is upgrading from, and you will do even better

I love my Rem 700 SPS. I payed less than $500 for it. And used the moeny I saved to upgrade the stock. Then saved a little more and got a good optic. I would recomend .308win. If you want to do any long range shooting. Mild recoil. Lots of ammo out there. Easy to reload. The Rem 700 is a great platform to start out with. Its the Ford. F-150 of the rifle world. Lots of accsoreys, Most gunsmiths know how to work on it. Parts are plenteyfull. And not to expensive. Out of the box a great all round rifle.

I suggest any used 308 you come by at a good price... Better yet, local FTF so the Feds don't know you have it, and you save the hassle of shipping, transfer and of course, you get to touch/feel/smell it for yourself BEFORE buying. In a lot of cases, you can meet the guy at the range and he can demonstrate the rifle to you.

There is also the "ambiance" of the rifle when tou see it in person...best to pick one that speaks to you.

As stated, a Remmy, Winnie, Savage etc etc etc are all capable rifles and it really matters not which one you end up with.