• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

700P vs. 700SPS

tomcat68

Private
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2010
Paris, TN
Hi, Guys
I am new here, have been lurking for weeks.

I was wondering, besides the stock. What is the difference in a 700P vs. a 700SPS?

Thanks for any replies in advance,
Tomcat68

Re: 700P vs. 700SPS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ewoaf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">none, get the sps-v, save your money for that better stock. </div></div>

+1.......

Depends on what you want to do with the rifle. I have both a sps-v and pss. Both are in different stocks (McM A5's). They both shoot about the same. The pss has a more rust resistant finish. If you are looking for a good accurate rifle to keep stock get the pss. If you eventually want to go with a different stock and parts get the sps and save some money upfront. Keep in mind with the plastic stock on the sps it won't shoot quite as good as the pss.

The 700P comes with a better trigger, and parked finish. No lock on the bolt and seems built a little nicer.

That was what I was wondering. I had almost come to that conclusion, but wanted someone else's opinion. I am still interested in other opinions also. Keep them coming.

Thanks,
Tomcat68

I agree, the SPSV factory stock is a POS. I replaced mine with a take-off 5r stock then snagged this adjustable HS for it. I can usually get 1" or less for 5 at 200yds with this rifle. It should do a lot better with somebody who can shoot
grin.gif
. My only complaint with the SPS is the sorry finsh, but that's easily fixed.
VictoriaHaileyshooting004.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomcat68</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That was what I was wondering. I had almost come to that conclusion, but <span style="font-weight: bold">wanted someone else's opinion</span>. I am still interested in other opinions also. Keep them coming.

Thanks,
Tomcat68 </div></div>

I have to apologize for my fellow Hiders. Few of these modest gents deem their knowledge of life, the shooting sports, politics, art, etc., to be of the depth needed to offer opinions. I am sorry if no one responds to your post.

I think the 700P has a metal trigger guard, a 40X trigger, and a different finish among the physical differences. There are probably other things as well.

The biggest difference is the stock, if you are planning on swapping out the stock, there isn't much other than finish separating the two. I don't see the p listed on rem's site anymore, so I'm not positive they still make it.

There it is! I didn't look in the LE section...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The biggest difference is the stock, if you are planning on swapping out the stock, there isn't much other than finish separating the two. I don't see the p listed on rem's site anymore, so I'm not positive they still make it. </div></div>

There is one other difference of note: Remington guarantees 1MOA or better on the 700P.

Most of the time this is not going to matter. However, recently some of our membership have started to notice some SPS models which are demonstrating defects in quality. Paying a little more for a 700P ensures you receive a rifle which has been pulled from the line, completed the Police process (mostly an additional inspection and parkerized) and then test fired to ensure basic precision.

+1 For The Remy 700 SPS Varmint!
IMHO - The Best Bang for the Buck!!
Decent As-Is for Hunting, or Add A Few Things to Make It Your Own, with Tons of Items Available for ALL Kinds of Shooting & Budgets.
You Can't Beat Them With An Egg Beater!!!

Same action, different finish. The 700P is parkerized the SPS-V is matte blue.

The new 700P comes with the X-mark Pro Adjustable trigger. I believe the SPS-V still comes with the standard X-Mark Pro.

Obviously the SPS-V comes with the plastic stock and the 700P comes with the H&S Precision.

If you like the H&S Stock, I suggest you get the 700P. If you would change the stock anyway, I suggest you get the SPS-V.

I am quite happy with my SPS-V. However since I swapped out the stock and the trigger, little remains to differentiate it from any other M700.

My SPS Varmint came with the X-Mark Pro adjustable.

About a year ago I took delivery of an SPS Varmint in .243 with a bent barrel (seriously there was a 3mm bow when I put a straight edge against it and was very visible to the eye). Needless to say it got sent straight back and I ending up going with a Tikka T3.
Since then I have purchased a .223 20" SPS Tactical which repeatably shoots 1/2 MOA to 500 yards (in an ACIS chassis) and a .308 SPS (yet to work up a load).
To compare these two I also have a .300WM PSS in an ACIS which shoots very well.
Like everything mass produced you get the odd one or two that are Friday afternoon specials - looks like the PSS models get vetted for obvious flaws...

The moral to the story is I opted to go with the SPS as I'll chuck away the stock for an ACIS. Certainly in the case of the .223 this has been the right decision and I've every confidence in the .308 too.

Ed

Maybe I'm just missing it all together, but I've not seen anything that says the 700P goes through any different tests or quality checks. I'm also pretty sure the trigger now is the same on SPS and Police models. You can get an HS Precision take off stock, either off a 700P or 5R, for about 200 bucks fyi. Basically the 700P is an out-of-the-box great starter rifle, and the SPS series(Tactical and Varmint) are good rifles if you want to do some hands on personalization and building. I debated on the 700P and SPS Tactical for several months before going with the SPS Tactical, deciding factor: I like to tinker with stuff and I could upgrade things quicker with this model because of the much lower base price, also had more cash to drop on a scope. You probably won't be disappointed with either, just depends on if you want a stock rifle, or a personally upgraded one.

Kelly

I have a 700P and ended up putting it in an AICS and now i have an HS stock lying around... that could have been a new trigger instead

Ah well, live and learn
laugh.gif

On the subject of triggers, the two SPS's I have are both to be fair exceptional! I ended up swapping out the 700P trigger for a rifle basix and thats still not as good as the two SPS's (the 700P is about 3 years old, I only recently bought the two SPS's).

Ed

The SPS comes with an X-Mark-Pro trigger.

I have a LTR & SPS-V and they are both very accurate and both have rifle basix triggers. I was surprised at how much better the SPS-V trigger was compared to the LTR but none of them compare to a rifle basix.

It's been posted here on another topic that the "Police" models are built with a little more care and QC. Having something to do with the new owners of Remington cutting costs wherever they can but not letting LE or Military rifles suffer. FWIW

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seddo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a LTR & SPS-V and they are both very accurate and both have rifle basix triggers. I was surprised at how much better the SPS-V trigger was compared to the LTR but none of them compare to a rifle basix. </div></div>

Not wanting to hi-jack the thread but my rifle basix has a small but distinct notch. Its still an excellent trigger though - maybe mine just needs a bit of tweaking? By comparison the trigger on my new SPS .308 is one of the best factory triggers I've come accross.

Ed