• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 742 wont eject

PKRobbins

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2010
Southern MO
Brother in law gave me a nice looking 742 in 30-06 to see if I could get it to eject. Not an autoloader guy so tell me what are the problem areas on this rifle? Getting ready to tear it down and give the action a thorough scrubbing.

Re: 742 wont eject

It's been a while since I have seen one, but I think you can access the gas orifice for cleaning through a small port on the bottom of the gas lug. I would pull the screw and detent ball for a visual and drop some non-ammonia bore cleaner in there. It should seep into the bore if it's not completely clogged.

A good scrubbing will help. So to try and help further more description is needed. Is the expended shell being pulled from the chamber?

more than likely a dirty or rusted chamber. this is a common problem with this model and others like it. i have a model four that had ejection problems also.

Your best bet is to find a tall river bridge and when you drive across....bury it at the bottom!!

Being a 742, makes it pretty old and prone to the abuse of generalized 742 owners. Short stroking is a likely cause, a good cleaning is a good place to start. Also be mindful of the chamber, specifically in your cleaning and use a flexible chamber rod and something akin to a .45 acp brush to thoroughly scrub it.
Be sure and look directly at the ejector itself, could be weak or broken spring, or hole could be full of fouling and causing the spring to bind. It could need replacing of the ejector, spring and pin itself. The barrel will have to be removed to properly achieve this.

what he said i have known several people with the same problem you have to keep the chamber clean clean clean most likely its dirty or rusty never did like them things<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RMulhern</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Your best bet is to find a tall river bridge and when you drive across....bury it at the bottom!!</div></div>

Here is your answer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lukeed78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">more than likely a dirty or rusted chamber. this is a common problem with this model and others like it. i have a model four that had ejection problems also. </div></div>

Also, if it has the "chatter marks" in the receiver, its on its way out.

742 . . . man, that takes me back!!!

Wow, back to the days of the Sports Afield, Field & Stream, Jack O'Connor, The Lower Forty, Jon-E Handwarmers, Richard's Original Indian Buck Lure, Wolverine boots, Balvar-8 scopes by Bausch & Lomb, Browning "Sweet 16's" with Poly-Chokes and vented ribs . . .

But I digress . . .

. . . sorry for the hijack. Just couldn't help it. Old age, I guess.

Hell I killed my first deer with one back in the day. My dad gave it to me a few years ago. I finally put a decent scope on it and took it to the range. It shot 165 corlocts about 5 inches at 100. I then shot Remington 150 scirocco's through it and shot two .75" groups back to back. Gonna tote it in the woods some this year. You need to clean the hell out of it and put some Rem oil on moving parts.