• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

75 ELD-M in a 8 twist

BallisticPrimate

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2017
I can't seem to find the length of this bullet anywhere on Hornady's website. I've been told they recommend a 7 twist barrel. Keen to try these in my Tikka 8 twist but only if they will stabilise. Any info much appreciated. BP

It will stabilize in an 8 twist. I can give you the length when I get home Thursday if someone doesn't chime in earlier.

It will stabilize....I know several guys using the 80 ELDM in 8 twist barrels with great success.

Yeah shouldn't have any problems im running 80 grain bergers in a 8 twist and they do great. I know a guy running 75 amaxs in an 8 twist as well his stabilize fine as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't seem to find the length of this bullet anywhere on Hornady's website. I've been told they recommend a 7 twist barrel. Keen to try these in my Tikka 8 twist but only if they will stabilise. Any info much appreciated. BP

Just measured 3-4 of them and they were all 1.1180", I shoot them out of a 24" 1:8 AR-15 and they work great, very accurate.

IMG_6961_zpswvveriby.jpg

While I was waiting for the 75gr ELD to show up in stock I passed the time playing around with the 73gr ELD. Very happy with what I found with the 73gr in my Tikka 1-8 twist varmint. Below is one of the four nodes I found with two different powders. Cant wait to try the 75gr next.

Running a length of 1.1180 I get a gyroscopic stability factor of approx 1.27. Depending on the environmentals this number could shift a bit - but not beyond marginal stability. So the question then becomes, will the degradation in the BC of the 75's make the 73gr's a better choice.

Running a length of 1.1180 I get a gyroscopic stability factor of approx 1.27. Depending on the environmentals this number could shift a bit - but not beyond marginal stability. So the question then becomes, will the degradation in the BC of the 75's make the 73gr's a better choice.

G7 of the 73 is 200 and the 75 is 235. I would think you will only drop about 3% off the stated BC so you should still be ahead with the 75 ELD-M over the 73. I understand Hornady folks are really diggin' that 73 ELD-M. I'd say for mid-range either will work but past 700 yards or so you will still get a good gain from the 75.

G7 of the 73 is 200 and the 75 is 235. I would think you will only drop about 3% off the stated BC so you should still be ahead with the 75 ELD-M over the 73. I understand Hornady folks are really diggin' that 73 ELD-M. I'd say for mid-range either will work but past 700 yards or so you will still get a good gain from the 75.

That's my assumption too - I guess I'll find out as I've ordered a bunch :)

While I was waiting for the 75gr ELD to show up in stock I passed the time playing around with the 73gr ELD. Very happy with what I found with the 73gr in my Tikka 1-8 twist varmint. Below is one of the four nodes I found with two different powders. Cant wait to try the 75gr next.

Good shooting. What length barrel is your Tikka Varmint? Thanks

Shot some of the 75 ELD the other day in some load testing. My barrel is a 7.7 twist but as it's been shown they work in an 8 but just wanted to show they are accurate as well.

CFE223 5 shots
3GOPgX5.jpg

Varget best group. Bad primer or I am sure the 5th would have been in with them.
438wOJ9.jpg

Reactions: nrspence