• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

75gr 22cal in a 1-9

Alaskaman11

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2009
Last Frontier
Hi guys, do you think I can get away with a 75gr Hornady in a 700 with a 1-9 twist. Got a line on these but dont want to spend on them if they wont shoot past 300 yards.

Personally I wouldn't buy them.

Maybe you get away with it, maybe you don't. I don't know. I always get 1/7 twist for 223/556 barrels.

I think 69 smks are probably as "heavy" as you want to go in a 1/9 twist.

Here's some threads with more insight.

69 SMK is a best bet. It’s been tried before. 300 yards, zero reason to gamble on a lesser bullet. Run some at 3000fps and check back in.

Reactions: Alaskaman11
Personally I wouldn't buy them.

Maybe you get away with it, maybe you don't. I don't know. I always get 1/7 twist for 223/556 barrels.

I think 69 smks are probably as "heavy" as you want to go in a 1/9 twist.

Here's some threads with more insight.

Hey, Thank you get getting all this put together. Sounds like folks with the 700P are having the best luck with the 69's. I guess i'll just stick with them.

Reactions: camocorvette
I shot thousands of 75 A-Max through Remington 700 .223's with 1:9 twist and they always stabilized and shot great with no apparent detriment to the BC. I am at 3000 ft altitude which does help with stability.

I tried 77 gr hand loads out of a 1:9 AR barrel. Most of the bullets that found the paper, did so sideways. It is sub moa with my 62 gr handloads.

I shot thousands of 75 A-Max through Remington 700 .223's with 1:9 twist and they always stabilized and shot great with no apparent detriment to the BC. I am at 3000 ft altitude which does help with stability.
being in Ten now, I cant find alt or cool weather. The summer time soup weather would not help for sure.

They look good. No keyholes. 26” barrel.

Attachments

• IMG_8568.jpeg
    IMG_8568.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 25
Hi guys, do you think I can get away with a 75gr Hornady in a 700 with a 1-9 twist. Got a line on these but dont want to spend on them if they wont shoot past 300 yards.
I'd do some searching for twist / stabilizer programs . Which H 75 are you looking at ? the 75 BTHP, the 75 A Max, or the 75 ELD-M ?

I would be hesitant to go the RMR route, i see way more people that do not like them than do.

“my gun shoots” is ambiguous.
Like I said, it’s been done. A lot.
If your Remington 700 P is marked 1/9, ……
300 and in, try a box.

Don't overlook the Berger 70 VLD, shoots good in my 9 twist ar and really good in my 7 twist carbine.

I am about 3500 and my factory Remington 1 in 9 would not shoot the 75 a max. Its was fine with the 77 SMK though.

Best way I know to find out would be to shoot a few. IF they don't shoot save them for the next barrel.

Reactions: camocorvette
The 75BTHP work fine in a 9 twist. Load them and go.

Contrary to popular belief the 77TMK shoot well on a 9 twist also. I haven’t shot my Ruger Hawkeye farther than 100yards with them but my savages have gone to 350 and do just fine. Also have shot 75gr Amax from the savages and have had zero stability issues.