• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

75gr A-Max Powder Recommendation

WDB_AR10

Private
Minuteman
Apr 1, 2013
I'm about to work up a load for my 16" barrel 1-8" twist AR using 75gr Hornady A-Max, and was wondering what powder people have had the best results with for that combination or one similar to it. I've heard Varget is a good one but burns slower, I have access to H4895 and H322 and have heard some good things about both. Any advice is appreciated, this is my first time.

If your trying the 75 gr A-Max in an AR-15, please realize that Hornady's recommended OAL for the 75 A-Max is 2.380". Bullet set back, at mag length (Max OAL length is 2.260" for AR-15 mags), can be a major concern since the ojive of the A-Max is inside the mouth of the case.

They can be single loaded in an AR, but that's not what an AR is designed for.

As said, the 75gr A-Max in an AR is a single-load proposition.

That said: Varget, RL15, 8208XBR, H335, 2000MR, etc etc.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm finding more and more sources that say not to load the A-Max to mag length for multiple reasons... I may decide to go with SMK 77gr instead.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm finding more and more sources that say not to load the A-Max to mag length for multiple reasons... I may decide to go with SMK 77gr instead.
This is a much better option when you're limited by mag length. The Hornady 75gr BTHP Match works well, too.