• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

75gr ELD vs 77gr RDF for tac class?

jzerfoss

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2019
WV and VA
Since these 2 bullets seem to have the highest B.C. with the weight limit of 77grs has anyone compared them directly? There is plenty of data and opinions on the 75gr ELD-M and they seem to be split between great and horrible. I can't seem to find much on the 77gr RDFs in terms of accuracy and consistency over multiple lots. So I guess I'm looking on more info on the 77gr RDF.

I've had success with both and would consider them in the same league for accuracy. Both are jump sensitive so it may take a little bit of adjustment to get the load your rifle really likes.

Reactions: jzerfoss
The only thing I know about 75gr ELD-Ms is that they'r'e too long for a standard AR mag

Bought a box and loaded 3 of em before I figured that one out

M

Reactions: PappyM3
Load the 75 elds at .020” off and they will shoot. No need to put them up at the lands and they can shoot fine farther off too. Found the same with all the elds I have shot in multiple calibers.

Reactions: nrspence
The only thing I know about 75gr ELD-Ms is that they'r'e too long for a standard AR mag

Bought a box and loaded 3 of em before I figured that one out

M

That’s why they made the 73 ELD. The 75s are not made for ARs.

Reactions: PappyM3
Load the 75 elds at .020” off and they will shoot. No need to put them up at the lands and they can shoot fine farther off too. Found the same with all the elds I have shot in multiple calibers.
I figured you would chime in when hornady is mentioned lol. While I've had great luck with 88s in every barrel I've shot them in. Neither of the 2 barrels I've tried the 75s in liked them. That being said I have read others have had luck with them. I'm hoping the next barrel I'm doing likes 75s because of the price and B.C. but I'm looking for an alternative incase they don't work out.

I figured you would chime in when hornady is mentioned lol. While I've had great luck with 88s in every barrel I've shot them in. Neither of the 2 barrels I've tried the 75s in liked them. That being said I have read others have had luck with them. I'm hoping the next barrel I'm doing likes 75s because of the price and B.C. but I'm looking for an alternative incase they don't work out.
Lol just trying to help but no connection to Hornady anymore. I have loaded them with Varget and 8208XBR and both did well. A buddy uses N135 and gets great results. What powders have you used?

Reactions: simonp
I was squaded with a pro (who's currently tied for 1st in PRS Tac division) who was shooting the 75gr ELD-M's once... almost made the rest of us in the squad shooting our fancy 6mm variants look silly. They shoot (in capable hands of course lol).

Reactions: jzerfoss
Lol just trying to help but no connection to Hornady anymore. I have loaded them with Varget and 8208XBR and both did well. A buddy uses N135 and gets great results. What powders have you used?
Varget and H4895 and both were 223 wylde chambered 7 twist barrels 22" Krieger and 26" MPA. Both barrels loved 88 elds and 80 amaxs but not 75 elds

Reactions: Rob01 and simonp
Varget and H4895 and both were 223 wylde chambered 7 twist barrels 22" Krieger and 26" MPA. Both barrels loved 88 elds and 80 amaxs but not 75 elds

Odd the Varget wouldn’t work but as we know barrels can like what they want. What oal you use and powder charge? Mine are 2.470” and I use 25grns of Varget in my one load in a 27” .223 Wylde.

RDF stands for Random Damn Flier lol.

I haven't loaded any of the 22cals, but I've had great luck with the 6.5cal 140grs. The BC was a little lower in practice with them saying .330 on the box and somewhere between 0.315-0.318 matching up better.

id rather a 75 JLK

but RDF stands for random damn flyer

and i've found 75 eldm to not be as easy to load as the JLKs (or a berger)

I shot lots of .264 130 and 140 ELDM's and they worked very well but the 75 ELDM's I had no
luck with they would easy double my group size. Tried seating depths it mattered none even the 75 Hornady BTHP bullets shot way better so I gave up on them.

The RDf's are a hit or miss for me the .264 130's sucked but the .243 105's were very good. If you are looking for a 77 try the Berger.

I couldn't get the 77 RDF's to shoot in two rifles, a 20" WOA and a Rainier 18" SPR. I tried Varget, 8208, AR Comp & H-4895. The only load that the best was 23.5 of 8208. 6- 5 shot groups ranged from 1.2" to 1.4". Both rifles will shoot the Sierra 77's with the same load @ MOA or better.

Had the same issue with the 70 RDF's as well.

I tried some 73 ELDM's also, they didn't shoot real well in either Rifle. I got the best accuracy with 77 Sierras and the 75 Hornady OTM in these two uppers..

Reactions: simonp
I couldn't get the 77 RDF's to shoot in two rifles, a 20" WOA and a Rainier 18" SPR. I tried Varget, 8208, AR Comp & H-4895. The only load that the best was 23.5 of 8208. 6- 5 shot groups ranged from 1.2" to 1.4". Both rifles will shoot the Sierra 77's with the same load @ MOA or better.

Had the same issue with the 70 RDF's as well.

I tried some 73 ELDM's also, they didn't shoot real well in either Rifle. I got the best accuracy with 77 Sierras and the 75 Hornady OTM in these two uppers..
The RDF is jump sensitive and you probably aren't seating the bullet long enough to get close to the lands due to mag length restrictions. The ogive on the ones that you had success with are designed for the longer jump.

The Nosler 69 or 77 Custom Competition would be a better choice in that application.

I've shot the the 70 and 77 RDF in my bolt guns and have had success. My Remington LTR, which has a 1:9 twist, will shoot well under MOA with the 77 RDF out to 545 yards. I was pleasantly surprised that they stabilized but I'm 4400' ASL.

I’ve shot bug holes w the .223 77s but never the 75 ELDS. I’m well under 1 inch moa w ELDS but RDFS were magic in my HART BARREL. My Bartlein will shoot the ELDS and after testing jump, I landed at 45 off lands. Very consistent but I’m considering trying those RDFs in my Bart.. They were amazing in my HART and now I’m wondering if I can do same w the RDFs in my BARTLEIN. Stupidly I decided to chase BC and got off the RDFs. Wanting to try going back.

My best 1000 yard groups in a .223 TAC class rifle….( in my lifetime ) was w those 77 RDFs and
I stacked two 3-shot groups out there that blew my mind.
Pics show groups at 1000 yards, the second pic I highlighted POIs w phone ap. I want to try repeating this … guess that’s the purpose of a loading bench.

IMG_7381.jpeg
IMG_7380.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: MustangGreg66