• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

77/22 Project Done

hilbillee

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 21, 2008
Franklin, NC
I finally got my Ruger 77/22 done how I was wanting. I installed a Shilen 20" .920 stainless barrel on it which I painted flat black. Also added was a Volquartsen sear bringing the trigger pull down considerably. and a Volquartsen stock. A Millett 4-16X56 scope was mounted using Burris Ruger to Weaver conversion bases and Burris Zee rings. The rifle was tested at 50 yds. and I am quite happy with the results. I tried Wolf Match Target and SK Standard plus but thr chamber is apparently too tight for them and they would have to be removed with a knife blade. So as can be seen on the target the ammo used to test the rifle was CCI Green Tag, CCI Mini Mags, and Federal Gold Medal Match. I was shooting off an old picnic table so the rest wasn't the best in the world, plus I am not that good a shot.
7722.jpg

7722a.jpg

7722b.jpg

7722c.jpg

Re: 77/22 Project Done

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Talked to rhineland arms, they make a AI type stock for 10/22's out of wood. Would like a A5 style stock. Plus mine is a sporter barrel, will rebarrel if it ever starts shooting like crap </div></div>

Try Kevin at Stockade Gunstocks,he will make you any kind of stock you want,you can also save a ton of money by filling and finishing it yourself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DFOOSKING</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wish someone would start making stocks for these, mine is a tack driver too, but the crappy Ruger black polymer stock won't let me mount a bipod without shifting accuracy everywhere. </div></div>

I've had a McMillan on mine for 10 years. I would guess they still make them.

Very nice rifle and excellent groups.

Did you do any work such as shims for the two piece bolt?

.22 ammo is funny. My 504 doesn't 'group' Green Tag, it 'patterns' it! But it is a tack driver with Wolf Match stuff. Go figure.

Thank you. All I did was add the barrel, Volquartsen sear, and Volquartsen stock. You are right about 22 ammo being funny. When I tried Wolf Match Extra it would stick in the chamber after firing. I cycled thru a few rounds without firing them and you could see scraping on the bullet where they had rubbed. Only round that would do that. But like your 504 mine eats the Wolf up.

Great looking rifle, My goal is to someday get mine set up just like that! The only thing I think I would do differently would be that i think i would do a camo paint job on the stock. But it still looks great.

I'm just wondering but how hard was the changing the sear over? I know that I cant quite do the whole works in one shot but I'd like to start first with the sear and then see how much of a gain I get. Then do a stock and then finaly a barrel.

Nice rifle though.

The sear was the easiest part. Just remove the action from the stock and then remove the trigger group. Then you can get to the sear to remove the old one and install the new one. It definitely makes a difference in the trigger pull.

Burris makes Signature rings to fit the Ruger 77/22 without adapters. Then you can use the plastic inserts to get a 20 or 25 minute tilt on your scope. Here's mine

Stock is from Richard's Microfit. Mine is a 22mag and it really likes the 50gr Federals and regular Winchester Super X 40gr HPs.

I know. But I had the adapters & rings on hand so I didn't think there was a need to spend more money so I used them. So far they have worked out fine.

Nice 77/22.

Mine has a 10/22 Butler Creek, shortened to 17" by CPC, and re-chambered to zero tolerance. I can tell you it SHOOTS. Power points were well under 1/2" at 50. Honed trigger myself and changed spring. It's clean/light on the pull.

16-18" is all you need in a 22.

dfoosking
take the stock off , now the front stock screw [still in the stock] push it up with a finger so the thread shows inside the stock dab a bit of grease on then slip a thick washer over, re-assemble and hay presto a fully floating barrel, you may need to sand the edges of the barrel channel as once floated you will see it may touch , also the front of the stock may need a bit removed, it took me ten mins to do ,
experiment with different washers
also you can get a harris bipod stud that has a small plate on the nut fits in the stock perfect

I will go up to 22", which is a Shilen barrel on a 10/22 I am working on now. I saw another barrel advertised for a 10/22 that was 28 in. long. That one's a bit long for my taste...lol.

VERY nice. The Ruger and my Marlin were my two choices when I made my way up to Maine to the ONLY gun shop I buy rifles from. The Ruger was my first choice. Sooooo many things you can do to it. By the time I got there they had sold it. So I went with my Marlin .17 hmr, which I love also. But that's freakin sweet man.

Thank you. As soon as I get done w/ the 10/22 I've been working on I will post pics of it too.

Can we get this thread and pics going again?!