• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

77gr. smk powder recommendation.

workinman

Private
Minuteman
Jul 6, 2010
Indiana
Just received a few 77 gr SMK's and loading for an AR-15 with 14.5 barrel. looking for a powder recommendation with this combo. any help would be appreciated.

I've had good luck with Tac and 77gr smk's. Work your load up, but you should be able to get to 2600fps without too much trouble in that barrel.

I've had good luck with Ramshot TAC myself. They publish data for 5.56 pressures as well as .223. I run them a little on the hot side, but haven't chrono'd my current load. Varget works, but it doesn't push them quite as fast and it doesn't meter too well from volumetric systems.

iv'e had really good luck with tac also with 77 smk's and 77gr noslers

I have pretty consistent results with AA2520, as most of my ammo rolls off of a 1050.

My personal load is 24.8, LC brass, any primer(mostly I run the wolf SRM, or 5.56's) and it runs 2839 (avg) from my RRA service rifle.

From one of the newer Colt 6920's I got 2675, so an easy 2600 from your 14.5.

Of course this load is worked into, although I got it from Phil Arrington, he probably forgot more than most of us will ever know....

http://www.arringtonaccuracy.com/tips&.htm

HTH,

sean

I have used Varget, and BL-C2 with good results. The Varget was a tad more accurate in my guns, and cleaner.

I like 24.4 gr varget seating them at 2.26". Haven't had a chance to chrony them out of my buddies 14.5" but they sail 2760 avg out of an 18" barrel and are really consistent. Please remember to work up to this load as it is an over charged load. Try working on some 69 gr smk as well. that 14.5 barrel seems to really like them. Good luck and good shooting.

Of the Hodgdon powders I've tried H4895 worked the best for 77 grain bullets.

I have all the powders you guys have listed except for blc-2 and the aa2520. Thanks for the input and info. I have some ladders to work up for my Noveske afghan.

Last edited:
Has anybody tried Alliant's MR2000 with the 77? It's supposed to give 100-150 fps faster speeds with heavier bullets. I'd like to hear it from some consumers before I believe it though.

I couldn't get enough MR-2000 into the case to get the velocities I wanted out of an A2 20" barrel. OP was asking about a SBR so it should be one of the quicker burning powders, IMR-8208, H-4895, AA2230, Tac or H335 to get velocity. Not one of the slower powders that needs a longer barrel to get a velocity advantage.

My personal load is 25.9 grains of 2000 MR with 77 gr SMK's. I'm shooting it out of my Compass Lake, and it rocks. YRMV. Start low, and work up slow.

What type of speed and groups are you getting? I have a ton of MR2000 now and want to revisit it for 223, H4895 is my favorite, but have to conserve until supplies catch up. I tried 25.2 and it was OK but not as good as I was getting elsewhere. 8208 has really surprised me as well.

I couldn't get enough MR-2000 in the case to get 2600fps. 26gr shot pretty decent though @ ~2550fps.

I've been shooting 23.5gr Tac for the last shooting season with excelent results in a wild chambered Brux barrel. Prone with a sling put 20-rounds inside a MR X-ring for me Saturday, 16 of them touching (yeah, it had me grinning). I'm thinking I'm going to try them at 600yds in practice tomorrow. Have yet to have temp issues this time but had some a while back with Tac.

By far, the most accurate powder that I've shot is the IMR 8208 but I had short-stroking issues in 2-different rifles with this powder so went back to Varget, H-4895 and now to Tac and no more short-stroking issues. I know of others that shoot it without the issues so YMMV.

H-4895 & IMR-4895 are very good powders, meters well and both produce excelent accuracy, IMR-4320 is usually overlooked but it works great also, short-cut and small diameter so it meters well.

I shoot in the South so temp-stability is a big issue for me. I've shot with some that were shooting AA2520 with good effect who did good 1 weekend and were popping primers with the same load on the next, same goes with BLC-2 and WW748.

I'd sure like to find another 8-lb jug of Tac right now.

I've had good luck with Tac and 77gr smk's. Work your load up, but you should be able to get to 2600fps without too much trouble in that barrel.

2600 fps in a 14.5" barrel? I don't know about that. I load 24.9 grains of Varget in my 18" SPR and I am getting just over 2600. That's a max load too.

It's nice to see that so many have come to the same conclusions as me. I use TAC to push a 77 a little above 2700fps. Good accuracy/velocity and flows well from a measure, can't ask for much more.

I use 24.0gr. Varget with LC brass with very good results 1/2 MOA , I tried R15 but it was inconsistent with temp changes.