• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

77smk loads

Wildbill8714

Private
Minuteman
Apr 8, 2013
I have a Daniels defense 18" barrel on a mk12 style rifle and wondering if anyone has any good loads to start trying I have 77 smks with canalure will that hurt accuracy? And I have 69smks. Powders I have are h335. Cfe223. Varget. Imr4064. Any help appreciated

24+ ram shot TAC. LC CASE fed 205m 77 SMK

Last edited:
My favorite accuracy load with that bullet is with 24.4gr of BL-C(2). Out of my 18" Wilson Combat Match SPR barrel I can get sub 1/2" 5 shot groups at 100 yards pretty consistently with thorough brass prep.

77 SMK
16" barrel
1:7 twist
AAC 7.62 SDN-6
H335 - 23.5 grains
LC brass
CCI #41
2710 fps

69 SMK
"everything the same"
H335 - 24 grains
2830 fps

All measured on Magnetospeed V2

I loaded some 77 Nosler CCs with CFE 223 last night.

Ill be shooting them Sunday and will post some feed back.

Thanks for the help guys I'll give a lot of these a try hopefully I can find some of these powders soon

Ran my CFE 223 loads today and botched the test. I relied on some pretty solid experience of where my factory Nosler 77 CC ammo hit and didn't have the means to confirm it while shooting today. I thought I was being conservative with my hold and expected my rounds to be on paper but they all went high even my light loads. I was able to see impacts on the backer board and 24 grains of CFE 223 looked the most promising to me.

WCC 08 1X
Win SRP
24 grns CFE 223
Nosler 77 grn Custom Competition no cannelure
COAL 2.25
LMT 16 inch CL barrel

Any other CFE shooters with similar loads

22.1gr AR Comp, loaded to magazine length with whatever primers I can get hold of. I never chrono'd it, but it was the charge that produced the best group with the 77gr SMK out of my Noveske 16" barrel. I switched from RL-15, and Ramshot TAC before that. Have not tried Varget or CFE yet.

TAC, Varget and 8208 XBR have all given me great groups with 77gr SMKs and Nosler Custom Competition pills.

Using IMR 8208 XBR, I got equal/excellent accuracy and higher MV with .5gr less than Varget.

I use 24g Varget, CCI BR primers, Win Brass, Nosler 77g HPBT with an OAL 2.257
2750 fps per the chronograph. I get 1/4 groups at 100 yards with 3 different rifles.
But I must admit the same load with Sierra 77g bullets shoot even better in all rifles.

24.5 AA2520 at 2.260 COAL gives me 2850 FPS from an 18 inch 1/8 RRA SS barrel. It is sub moa with many groups being uder .5 MOA. I can and have gone hotter but it really didn't gain much and this laod was developed in 90 degree weather so it is safe.

24.0 gr Varget under a 75-77 gr bullet is a very common .223 Rem load that will shoot well out of most guns. It can be a good go-to load if you don't want to take the time to do load development. Personally, I use 24.4 gr of Varget under a 77 gr Nosler BTHP and get very good accuracy, better than 24.0 gr, but that is an amount that I would work up to.

My service rifle load for my NM RRA with a Wylde chamber is 24.5gr Varget 77smk, Nosler, or Hornady 75gr HPBT with LC brass and Rem BR primers loaded to 2.250. I get 2750 over the chrono out of a 20in barrel with superb accuracy in all my 1/7 or 1/8 twist rifles. My Predator Pursuit shoots bug holes with these loads as well. I haven't had any pressure issues with this load in my rifles but obviously Start at 24 and work up.

My brother is in cost guard and got me a lot of lake city brass so I'll use that and I loaded 10 rounds of 77smk with 24gr varget 10 rounds with 23.7 and 10 rounds with 24.3 and my smks have canalure so I loaded them to that length which is right at magazine length which is good so I'll test them tomorrow. And thanks everyone that gave me some load ideas if I can find some other powders that some of y'all have I'll give them loads a try also. Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk