• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 788 Remington 243 Carbine for Coyotes

toddconley

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2007
Kentucky
I would like to buy a 788 Remington carbine 18" 243 for coyotes. Shooting only light bullets for coyotes. I have heard most 788s shoot good. They are priced reasonable and seem like it would make a very handy 400 yd and in coyote slayer I want a little more energy that the 223 that I always carry. I could handload for it but I would try to make it shoot Hornady 58 gr stuff first. If it shot under a 1" I would just buy two boxes a year and be done. I think for weight I would consider that new nikon m223 rifle scope 1" tube and good looking knobs to to turn. Thoughts?

Re: 788 Remington 243 Carbine for Coyotes

I have owned many 788s and they were all tack drivers. The older non-carbine stocks with a monte carlo and no cheek piece was a very well fitting stock, the best factory wood stock IMHO. The bolt is not silky smooth like a Tikka but in the late 70's you could buy one at Longs Drug for $129 with a Bushnell scope factory mounted.
grin.gif
The trigger can be worked over and adding an adjustment screw to the sear engagement like the 540-X and annealing or shortening the spring helps reduce wop.

I have never tried 58gr bullets but off the top of my head I think 400yds might be a stretch, wind drift on that bullet with the bc of a loaf of bread might be pretty bad after the velocity dies off, but I again I've never tried it, someone with experience might offer their thoughts.

Even though I'm a fan of the 788 I think for about the same money you could find a used T3, a much nicer and I think lighter rifle with the same reputation for accuracy.

You think the tika would be lighter? I also like the short barrel of the carbine? Tikas do shoot good. I have one in 223 as my main coyote rig.
T

The T3 is definetly lighter. The 788 is kinda chunky. The barrel can always be shortened.

u have brought about some very good points. I know for sure the tikka is going to shoot well. as they all do

i shot my first deer this year with my grandpas little 788. Chambered in .243, It was pretty nice! Althought the stocks a little beat downn

Would love to get mine back...I loaned it to someone in one of my hunting clubs for a kid and have yet to get it back...don't remember who borrowed it....it has/had a 3x9 Loupy on it.

I think a nice ol' 788 carbine would make for a great coyote rifle. Compact, accurate, drop magazine, hard hittin' 243...it's got all ya need (except the earplugs). Personally, I'd rather carry that classic firearm in the woods than a new plastic Tikka any day...

I am still kinda eat up with the 788. I think I like the idea as much as anything.

wonder how fast you could get the 87 gr out of the 16 barrel?

I am only gonna say this once because it hurts, I searched well over a year for a bolt for 788 243. If you own a 788, never break one single thing especially the bolt, the bolt handle, the trigger the safety etc.

They are tight shooters for sure and I can remember when they were 100 bucks in the hardware stores, but I am telling ya, parts is scarce!!!!

I hear what people say about the classic part. But I beat up my coyote guns and I dont know why. I find that because of this I prefer the plastic stocked guns for coyotes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STRICK9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am only gonna say this once because it hurts, I searched well over a year for a bolt for 788 243. If you own a 788, never break one single thing especially the bolt, the bolt handle, the trigger the safety etc.

They are tight shooters for sure and I can remember when they were 100 bucks in the hardware stores, but I am telling ya, parts is scarce!!!! </div></div>
...and I lost a magazine everytime I went out. They just fall out...or mine did!!

I sold the Rem M788 Lefty in 6mm Rem i had, it was the biggest mistake I have ever made. stupid - stupid - stupid.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hatchie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STRICK9</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am only gonna say this once because it hurts, I searched well over a year for a bolt for 788 243. If you own a 788, never break one single thing especially the bolt, the bolt handle, the trigger the safety etc.

They are tight shooters for sure and I can remember when they were 100 bucks in the hardware stores, but I am telling ya, parts is scarce!!!! </div></div>
...and I lost a magazine everytime I went out. They just fall out...or mine did!! </div></div>

Duct Tape...

My first Rifle was a 788 in 243 at age 10, I still have it and it is still a tack driver. From what I recall it was only out for a few years and while it was out it was in pretty high demand I know a few guys that would get them put it in a match stock and re barrel it and they liked the action better than the rem 700 action. I have not used it in a while, but it was my primary deer hunting rifle until I moved to Colorado where I put it in a safe and bought an 06 for Elk and Mule deer.

my first rifle at 9 was also a 788 in 243 which i still own and plan to pass down (he'll be here in July).....it is the carbine and was 15 yrs old when i got if from my grandpa.......still a shooter to this day and loves 85gr Barnes XLC's with 4064....not sure about coyotes but they put the hammer down on deer....great rifle for sure