• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 7mm-08 and other 7mm - hunting bullet of choice

6.5BR

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2007
LA
What bullet, round, and what are your conditions/game?

Figuring some Amax fans, Bergers, and others.

Whatever 7mm you hunt with, chime in w/your results - thanks.

Re: 7mm-08 and other 7mm - hunting bullet of choice

Hornaday Super Perf 7mm-08

139gr GMX, outstanding round for me ballistically and very effective on pigs/deer.

139 SST and 162 Amax, That amax will really reach out there. 7x57 and 7mm Mag. Speed goats out on the prairie.

I'll be running Bergers and Amax out of both a 7mm Rem Mag and 7mm SAUM. Which ones will depend on what shoots the best.

The Rem Mag will probably be ran the hottest because it won't get near the round count (168s and 162s)...the SAUM will get much more trigger time, so I'm thinking of running much heavier bullets at a slower speed. (180s and eventually 195s)

Because of a fuck-up from a manufacturer I threw together a load for a 7-08 and used 139gr Hornady interlock BTSP this year on a medium sized cow elk and a coues whitetail. I am happy with the on game performance, but not happy with the accuracy. (1.5MOA) This is also with only doing load work-up with one powder though.

139 SST's in the 7mm08 ROCK !

DRT everytime

IMG_05596.jpg

9-19-2012.jpg

internet_pic_3.JPG

Bullet_139_SST_weighed_76_1.jpg

Have the 162Amax loaded in my 7mm-08AI right now and some test loads with 140 Accubonds to try out. The Amax's have done well on pigs and a yote so far besides the lack of exits on the pigs which is why the Noslers are loaded up.

Dog, 45gr of IMR4064 or Varget put 5 in one tight hole, nearly as tight as Ballistic Tips w/partial sized brass, kissing lands, in a 700V w/HS stock....work up, it's about 1 gr over max..

Sounds like alot of 162s and 139 SSTs used. No doubt a Barnes works great save really far out there where they may not open as well. Thanks all - anyone else chime in. Great feedback.

162 amax.

Killed a few elk deer and antelope with them.

Nice rifle - thanks for pics, looks like great times, smile shows!

Any details on rifle? Edge? NF 2-10 it looks like. Custom?

I seem to be hearing good things overall, on the 129 and 139 SSTs. Never bad on the Amax 162s either.

-Trued 700 action, Kampfeld side release, fluting
-Callahan Shroud and firing pin
-McMillan Remington SA Classic in Edge fill/ - olive green w/black splatter paint.
-Brux #3 contour 1-9" twist stainless barrel, finished @ 22 5/8", fluted
-Jewell HVR at 1.5 lbs.
-Cerakote action/barrel in Graphite Black Cerakote
-BDL BM
-talley LW's
-NF 2.5-10x32 compact
-Montana Sling

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ANVIL11-87</div><div class="ubbcode-body">140 grain Barnes TTSX out of my 7mm STW. </div></div>

I use the 145gr Barnes LRX in my 7STW.

Also in the process of putting together a parts list for an upcoming 7MM Rem Mag build that will shoot the same. Then the 7STW will go up to 168gr Barnes LRX bullets.

Great parts/very nice. Guessing about 7 lb w/o scope?

Sounds like you have a nice 7 in the works Lancetkenyon.

140 Barnes TTSX out of 7-08

I use 160 gr nosler accubonds in my 7mm WSM. I like the results on deer and elk. I used accubonds in my .264 win mag this year on my elk trip with good results.