• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

7mm-08 COAL options

beanns2

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Ok, so I am having a new rifle built in 7mm-08. It will be in a Badger M2008 action. Im trying to decide on the load length I will use and have the chamber cut for. Wanting to stay in mag length with a 162gr amax for .308 AICS mags, which I measured out to 2.900" total internal length for a 5 rounder I have.
So I obviously don't want to be right at 2.900", and was thinking around 2.875" would be good. However, this is a new caliber to me and don't want to dealing with improper neck tension due to the bullets not being seated deep enough, and have bullets moving in the case neck under recoil. I have looked at many different loads other people use the COAL ranges from 2.800" out to 2.910" with the 162 amax. My goal is to get 2800fps with the 162amax out of a 24" barrel.

Re: 7mm-08 COAL options

Think you may be overthinking it.

I think you should plan to be on the lands at 2.850 or so. Maybe .015-.020 less. That way you fit comfortably in your mag and have some headroom to chase the lands a little.

You oughtta be able to simply tell your smith:

7-08, 162amax, AICS mags - and let him take it from there.

Another thought:

If you remove tge plate from your mags, you can load out to 2.925-2.950 or so. Same thing with the Alpha mags. If you do that, you'll gain a little more piwder capacity and velocity. Would have to be throated a little deeper too, of course.

Ok thanks! I asked the smith his opinion and he said he didn't have experience with handloading for 7mm-08. So I came here to get some opinions.

ETA - the mags will still be used on my .308 so not looking to modify them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beanns2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok thanks! I asked the smith his opinion and he said he didn't have experience with handloading for 7mm-08. So I came here to get some opinions.

ETA - the mags will still be used on my .308 so not looking to modify them. </div></div>

Pick your smith wisely. I'd be a shade concerned having a smith build/chamber my rifle if he was clueless about the cartridge I wanted - particularly if <span style="font-weight: bold">I</span> didn't know EXACTLY how I wanted it done already.

That said, uf he's a great smith, just doesn't know 7-08 so great, my best advice is to xall Pacific Tool and Gage, and ask Dave Kiff if he has a 7-08 reamer for a 162amax @ 2.835 (+/- .010" would be fine). If he doesn't, then make a dummy round with the 162amax @ 2.835 and send it to him to make your reamer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beanns2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, so I am having a new rifle built in 7mm-08. It will be in a Badger M2008 action. Im trying to decide on the load length I will use and have the chamber cut for. Wanting to stay in mag length with a 162gr amax for .308 AICS mags, which I measured out to 2.900" total internal length for a 5 rounder I have.
So I obviously don't want to be right at 2.900", and was thinking around 2.875" would be good. However, this is a new caliber to me and don't want to dealing with improper neck tension due to the bullets not being seated deep enough, and have bullets moving in the case neck under recoil. I have looked at many different loads other people use the COAL ranges from 2.800" out to 2.910" with the 162 amax. My goal is to get 2800fps with the 162amax out of a 24" barrel. </div></div> If you had to seat the 162s to 2.900" there would be plenty of bullet inside the case, when I tried the 162AMAXs last year I believe I set the oal at 2.910". Your goal of getting 2800fps is a big one, 2000MR powder will get you your best speed, 42grs being the max at around 2710fps, 41grs was the most accurate in my 24" tube, Rem 700. This was shot @300yds.
IMG_0262.jpg

I think you'll need to be at 2.82 or longer if you want to keep the ogive of the bullet above the case mouth...