• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

7mm-08 in a gasser?

thefitter

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 10, 2010
Who has done this? Why have I not heard more people doing it?

Who has done this? Why have I not heard more people doing it?

Bought the LMT barrel, brass shows up this week. Will update. Bought the 162 A-max's and will push to 1,000 hopefully Thur. Looks to be 95% of the creedmoor however it has knockdown power.

7mm-08 in a gasser?

USPS says my brass was delivered, no where to be found. Hope some tweaker is happy with my brass.

There is something to be said for a 23.64% increase in frontal area. Not sure how much it factors in with

the .308 case family...

BUTT!!! I respect the man that used "frontal area" in his calculations of using certain bullets for animals that
want to make your life miserable till death if you just happen to piss them off with the first round.

Those of us who have been discussing terminal ballistics over the years have come to recognize "knockdown power" as a misnomer, since any perceived "knockdown power" on impact and penetration should have more of the same effect on the shooter when they pull the trigger, since more energy is present in the firearm containing the explosion and directing the impulse into the shooter's shoulder. The Nitro Express dangerous game cartridges come to mind in that context, but most of our center fire rifle and even magnum cartridges don't generate enough momentum to knock you over, unless you are very weak or a light person.

There are several forum members who have built 7mm-08 AR10's and reported on their results. It's a good cartridge.

Yep. Built mine with a 22" heavy contour lilja barrel.
It has been less than what i hoped it would be. This is not the fault of the caliber however. I'm pretty sure that I have recently determined the reason for just "ok" accuracy in this rifle and, its predecessor. Will probably be able to confirm for sure by the end of the week.

7mm-08 is plenty for Elk. I'd prefer to accompany a hunter who has a lot of trigger time on a light-recoiling 7mm-08 than one who maybe zeroed their 7mm Remington Ultra Mag and hasn't shot more than 2 boxes in the year. With a 154gr, you're looking at 200fps difference mv, and the 7mm-08 will do 2700-2800fps with a 154gr Interbond (.530 BC).

Hunters are consistently taking medium-large, and even large game with 6.5 Grendels within 400yds, even using 18" and 20" barrels with the right bullet. Heck, there are guys who have killed trophy Audad with 14" TC Contenders in 6.5 Grendel using the 100gr TTSX.

I would prefer a 7mm hunting bullet of similar weight over the equivalent weight .308 bullet any day, mainly because of BC and the ability to hit easier in the wind. Find me a .308 hunting pill in the .530 BC range that weighs anywhere near 150gr. You need a .308 190gr SMK to touch that BC.

Another great 7mm hunting bullet is the 139gr GMX solid with .486 BC. That will blow right through Elk, with excellent expansion. It acts more like a 160gr, and is longer than a 7mm 162gr BTSP. You can shoot the 139gr GMX at 2900fps from a 24" gun.

This talk is making me think about a 7mm-08 DPMS GII now, although I've been wanting a lightweight .260 mountain rifle for a while. Don't really need it, since I have 4 Grendel's now and a .260 Remington.