• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report 7mm-08 vs 6.5 creed, which is better ballistics

simpy16

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2017
Boise, ID
A buddy is claiming a 7mm-08 is a better long range cartridge than a 6.5, I would assume creed but he isn't specifying. He would build it on a long action to seat bullet out further, which would seem very much apples to oranges if relegating the 6.5 to a short action. Can anyone help me out to validate this claim?

Better for what?

They have practically identical ballistics. Drop and drift are within a couple inches of each other at 1000 yards.

Shooting competition or shooting long strings of fire, I'd go 6.5 Creedmore due to lower recoil. Don't reload? Better match grade ammo selection for 6.5 than for 7mm-08.

Any kind of hunting, I would go 7mm-08 due to its ability to push a heavier bullet, it carries more energy than 6.5 for the entire range from muzzle to 1000, and makes a bigger hole.

The army has used a long action for short action cartridges for years. His reasoning is not the same as the Army’s and probably not legit as you’re seating depth is limited to the barrels reamer dimensions. I don’t see the action size having any benefit to seating.

I’m not afraid to say that the 7mm-08 is better than the Creedmoor in a lot of ways, especially on paper and even in real life ( in way of
ballistics) often enough. I don’t know how it can be relegated to a short action. A creedmoor IS a short action cartridge. Even the 6.5 PRC is still a short action.

I went through the exact same struggle when I ordered my NULA. When I placed the order I had decided on a 7mm-08, but about a 2 months into the build, I called up Melvin Forbes to see if it was too late to change my mind. He was more than accommodating, and I went with the 6.5 Creedmoor. Glad I did.

It shoots Hornady 120 Amax and handloaded 129 SSTs & 140 Partitions to the same POI, sub-moa.

My Ruger 7mm-08 now sits idle.

Bottom line:
+1 6.5 Creedmoor

For stupid games shooting at steel off barricades, trapeze and bouncy castles, less recoil is king. In the "real world" of a hand loader, heavy-for-caliber 7mm will always be better than 6.5, even if only by a slight amount. Better is better. Of course from a long action .338 beats 6.5, 7 and 7.62mm. There are others that say the shooter's going to make the difference and the ballistics are academic.

Reactions: FredIII
A 7-08 AI makes the -08 case go OHwwww geeezsss THANKS
20” proof pushes 162 Elds at 2750.
24” pushed 162 elds at 2875
And the new one with a 22” proof is waiting for manners to finish her handle!
My wife is on her second 7-08 ai barrel and won’t shoot any thing else. All hunting with above. Were I to play sniper in a nascar looking fire suit. I would feel the 6.5 creed a little more recoil than desired. I’d be GT or dasher slut.
1A9A3CBA-6170-4B96-AB78-F771B9CBDB74.jpeg
4EBB681C-F045-47FA-8555-5FC07ECC2285.jpeg
DA41D398-37AD-43EF-991C-057E796563B8.jpeg

Last edited:
I've always been a fan of 7mm08. My new rifle, replacing the one that I built 15 years ago in 7mm08, is also getting chambered in the same.

One thing that helped is that I could load long (2.90x") in my old action.

I also use 20" barrels on each, and that's something else to consider. The "winner" with a short barrel might not be the same as with a longer barrel.

Reactions: FredIII
I've always been a fan of 7mm08. My new rifle, replacing the one that I built 15 years ago in 7mm08, is also getting chambered in the same.

One thing that helped is that I could load long (2.90x") in my old action.

I also use 20" barrels on each, and that's something else to consider. The "winner" with a short barrel might not be the same as with a longer barrel.
Being able to load longer is a big plus for 260 and 7-08.

Reactions: Odysseus1911
Someone needs to make better bullets

if companies would give it the same attention as the 6.5 it would be more popular,

consider the 260 was around for a long time, but only with token support from Remington. If they supported it early like the 6.5CM is today things would have moved faster for the 6.5. instead it’s stuck int the hunting bin.

if they started doing better match bullets you’d see more 7s, put the focus between 135 and 165 more would use it. Especially out west in the wind.

I'm getting well over 2800 with a standard 7-08 in a 26" Rock in a short action with a 162 eld-m seated over a stiff charge of 6.5 sta-ball and Starline SRP .308 necked down to 7mm

A 7-08 AI makes the -08 case go OHwwww geeezsss THANKS
20” proof pushes 162 Elds at 2750.
24” pushed 162 elds at 2875
And the new one with a 22” proof is waiting for manners to finish her handle!
My wife is on her second 7-08 ai barrel and won’t shoot any thing else. All hunting with above. Were I to play sniper in a nascar looking fire suit. I would feel the 6.5 creed a little more recoil than desired. I’d be GT or dasher slut.
View attachment 7485882View attachment 7485895View attachment 7485896
That Ackleyized 708 case just looks like a shooter

Long time fan of the 7-08. I chose it over the 6.5’s because of the long-loaded 162 Amax at the time I was switching from 308 about ten years ago. Like Lowlight said above, I really wish more companies would put some time in the 160ish class of bullets. Particularly Berger. While I still have a healthy stash of amax’s and ELDM’s, after the recent Hornady shenanigans, as well as some of my own ELD shots disappearing somewhere between me and the target, I’m ready to switch full time to Berger. Just need a hybrid in the 160-area to switch to...

Long time fan of the 7-08. I chose it over the 6.5’s because of the long-loaded 162 Amax at the time I was switching from 308 about ten years ago. Like Lowlight said above, I really wish more companies would put some time in the 160ish class of bullets. Particularly Berger. While I still have a healthy stash of amax’s and ELDM’s, after the recent Hornady shenanigans, as well as some of my own ELD shots disappearing somewhere between me and the target, I’m ready to switch full time to Berger. Just need a hybrid in the 160-area to switch to...
Sierra has a tipped 162 grain bullet that supposedly sports a pretty good BC, I think it might be their gamechanger

What's up with the Hornady 7mm "shenanigans?" I have a stash of amaxes that I've been living off of for a while, but am looking to order a barrel for my new rifle later this week. So at some point I'll need to adopt a new bullet.

Is there something I need to know?

I recall reading about bullets disappearing at magnum speeds. Are these the shenanigans? Is it an issue with 7mm08 speeds?

Thanks for the heads up on the Sierra bullet. Interesting that the BC bumps up a bit in mid-range speeds.

Sierra has a tipped 162 grain bullet that supposedly sports a pretty good BC, I think it might be their gamechanger

The 165gr tipped Game king. BC starts right at .6 and then drops to .510 under 2600fps - According to Sierra...which means, historically, the advertised BC is going to be a little higher than real life. Their TMK starts at the same .6. Amax still has the edge on them. ELDM is even a bit better than the Amax. Plus they never seem to be in stock when I go looking.

My gripe with Hornady now is that each lot of new ELDM’s I’m getting, more and more are coming right out of the bag with smooshed tips. Base to ogive variance is growing with each batch too. The first batch of ELDM’s I received when they first came out were the best. They had translucent tips and each bullet was nearly the exact same. Shot the best too. Quality has been slipping ever since, although they still shoot decent which is what matters. I just worry about the smooshed/deformed tips.

At this point, I will happily pay a little extra for Bergers for not having to deal with worrying about damaging tips, deformed tips right out of the box, melting tips, or the worry of “will this bullet explode on its way to the target?”... I’ve been meaning to start contacting them to inquire. If Hornady can churn out a 162 with a BC right on the heels of the 180 Hybrid, then I’m very interested to see what Berger could whip up nowadays. That’s what I want to pay for and shoot.

My favorite hunting rifle is my 7-08. Spun it up about 8 yrs ago when Rock Creek did a group buy on some button rifled line they were starting.

Mine has a 24" barrel and pushes a 140 (accubonds or SGKs) at 2900 with 2000MR. It could probably go faster, but don't need to, deer can't tell the difference, and frankly neither can I because I don't try to take long shots. For reasonable hunting there really isn't anything the 7-08 doesn't do well east of the Front Range.

There have been some people who have experimented with the 7-08 in long range F class. It will do OK if set up correctly, but it still gives up close to 100 FPS and the associated windage to the 284s and short mags running 180 class bullets.

For hunting I'd take the 7 over the 6.5Creed every time. A 7mm running a 140 is in the middle of it's weight range. Great balance of ballistics, weight and recoil, and can run much heavier bullets if wanted/needed.

The best option is probably the 284Win but that's not the discussion here. The 284 or some wildcat version running 180 class bullets represents about 75% of what F-Open shooters run for 1000 yard competition, and they can run anything they want.