• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm 9.5 twist build for 180 bergers?

gravityoutdoors

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2012
Greensburg, KY
Does anyone have any knowledge about a Tikka 7mm rem. mag 9.5 twist factory rifle. I want to shoot a Berger 180 gr Match Grade VLD Hunting .284 180 0.659 BC. This would be for hunting at semi long range(out to 700.0) Berger says it is recommended to use a 9 twist. Im wondering if the barrel twist is fast enough? I also have a fn pbr 300wsm, I can convert into a 7wsm, but I'm not sure the length of this round with the Berger 180 will feed. If neither one of these are an option I may take a savage long action and build it off that. Any help would be appreciated. All this time searching the web in my deer stand has me wanting another project.

i got 7mm mag and 7 saum my 7mm mag has 9 twist my custom saum has 8.75..like everyone says .9 twist barely can stable 180gr berger..like the yelow box says require 9 twist or FASTER.to answer you question i mostly shoot 180 vld and hybrids with no problems..i do have a friend with saum 7mm 9.5 twist tried 180vld we noticed on long range bullet begining to create keyhole..so we figured barrel twist little too slow..up to 200 yrd you wont be able to see much different..maybe 162-175 youll be fine

Thanks a bunch. I think I will build off the savage and put it in a McMillan game scout and a 4 contour barrel. 8 to 9 twist depending on what the barrel companies suggestion. Now if I could just find a prefit.

You should be ok but if you're starting from scratch anyways, go with a little faster twist. I have an 8.7 and an 9.25 twist 7RM and they have no issues with 180 SMK or VLD's.

A more scientific answer would be to refer to Miller's or Greenhill's stability equation and see what values you get for your setup.... if you believe that shit.

I'm in a similar situation about 12000km away and I am being told 1:9 twist from a Lilja barrel if I want to push 180gr out of 7mm-08 to 800 metres with good accuracy.

You should be ok but if you're starting from scratch anyways, go with a little faster twist. I have an 8.7 and an 9.25 twist 7RM and they have no issues with 180 SMK or VLD's.

A more scientific answer would be to refer to Miller's or Greenhill's stability equation and see what values you get for your setup.... if you believe that shit.

How fast are you pushing them in the 8.75 , with what length barrel

1-9 or faster for 180's. I run a 1-9 Krieger on my 7-300 and all I shoot are the 180's, great to a grand with zero issues. 1-9.25 or 1-9.5 will be a crap shoot with less than desirable results especially if a button barrel.

No problems here with 180s in a 28" 9 twist Pac Nor at approximately 3000 fps in the standard 7RM close to sea level. I also shoot 180s exclusively.

28" 8.7 twist bartlein 5R. Better accuracy at 2830fps but have gone up to just under 3100fps during load development.