• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm build recommendations

mochiles

Private
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2009
Florida
So I was digging around in my safe and came across a R700 Ultra mag action I had bought years ago for a build but ended up going another way with. I decided I want to use it to build something in 7mm as I currently don't have anything in that caliber. I'm not sure if I'm going to get the action trued or just keep it simple and get a Remage barrel spun up. I'm looking for something to shoot steel up to 1500 yds. and maybe hunt with but will not be my primary rig. I plan for a Bravo chassis to run mags (CIP if necessary). I do have the ability to reload so factory ammo isn't a must but it is nice to have the option.

The main info I'm looking for is recommendations on what would be some of the better 7mm cartridges to consider and pros and cons of each?

I appreciate any insight or experience you could pass along.

Your limiting factor is the case head size.
7mm Ultra mag, if you can find the brass (you can neck down 300 ultra mag)
28 nosler might be an option.
Anything that overbore will require very slow powders, judicious application of the bang button and watching barrel temp.
It will eat throats
With the heavies, 1500 yards would damn near be a chip shot

**I don’t have first hand experience here, just what I’ve read about. But my father has a 7 rem mag and I’m desperately trying to get him to remage barrel into 7saum**

If you handload, 7saum or 7wsm. They can be loaded longer and still fit a standard long action magazine.

Reactions: r.ellison2010
Any of the 7mm’s magnum will do 1500 easily.
I shoot 7 saum.
was shooting it successfully just past 2000 today.
7RM is a good option.
28 nosler and 7 RUM are impressive but you’ll pay for that performance.

7mm MAX is another option

I built a 7RM. Have a couple hundred rounds through it. Farthest shot so far is @1160 and it has plenty left in it. Supposed to go out to 1500 this weekend. I run 175 smk's in the ammo. 28 inch Bartlein, little bastard brake, trigger tech trigger in an MPA chassis. Bushnell Elite 3.5x21 scope. Took a while to find brass but I finally did. I am very happy with the overall build and accuracy.

I have 7RM with a 26" 1:8" Bartlein on it and I load it up with the 195's over RL26 and can pretty comfortably get into the high 2800's. It's a solid option and the recoil isn't that bad and the barrel life has been pretty good. Getting close to that 28 Nosler level but seems to be a lot easier on the throat and doesn't. Another option like others have mentioned is a SAUM with the bullets seated long.

When I first started tossing around the idea I immediately though 7SAUM with plenty of room for loading long but then I saw the 7 MAX. Is there a benefit of one over the other? I’ve heard good things about 28 Nosler but also I hear they are not easy to load the heavy bullets long.

I was also holding out for an official 7-300 PRC from Hornady but that doesn’t look like it will be coming any time soon.

When I first started tossing around the idea I immediately though 7SAUM with plenty of room for loading long but then I saw the 7 MAX. Is there a benefit of one over the other? I’ve heard good things about 28 Nosler but also I hear they are not easy to load the heavy bullets long.

I was also holding out for an official 7-300 PRC from Hornady but that doesn’t look like it will be coming any time soon.

Max is faster than 7 saum.

The SAUM, SS, and Max are equivalent to the 6BR, 6BRA, and 6 Dasher. You pick up more capacity as you move up the ladder.

I was just over on the Sherman website and I see 28 Sherman Magnum brass listed. Looks like that could be a contender but is it overkill?
i shoot in Florida at practically sea level with high humidity.

I was just over on the Sherman website and I see 28 Sherman Magnum brass listed. Looks like that could be a contender but is it overkill?
i shoot in Florida at practically sea level with high humidity.
For up to 1500, I think so.
The smallest of 7 magnums is kinda boring at 1500.

Reactions: Boogieman84
The range I go to actually goes to 2 miles but that is a whole different level from where my skills are.

How is obtaining quality brass for the SAUM and the likes?

The range I go to actually goes to 2 miles but that is a whole different level from where my skills are.

How is obtaining quality brass for the SAUM and the likes?
ADG brass is fantastic
Direct order or a few dealers carry it.
Sherman brass is made by adg and sold directly

ADG also makes 7RM and 28 nosler as well.

Last edited:
I run the SAUM shooting Berger 180's at 2,700 fps through a 20" proof barrel with excellent results.

The SAUM is a very efficient case and with a long action and a properly throated barrel for said long action you’ll see 7 Rem Mag velocities with less powder.

That said, I love my 7 Rem Mag and have not felt the need to rebarrel or change calibers. It just works and works well. Very versatile, easy to load for, and in a pinch you can find Factory ammo nearly everywhere. I’m shooting 162 ELD’s at 3,050 and 180’s at 2930 out of a 24” Proof CF barrel, both with H1000 powder. A lot of people go straight to the 180 class bullets but the 162’s over 3k fps will be good to 1,500 yards in a lot of conditions.

Brass wise the SAUM and the RM both have good quality options out there. The RM is slightly more available just due to popularity. I run Norma in my 7 RM and it’s been flawless.

Cant go wrong with an SS, Max, or 28 SM

But a SAUM or Rem Mag would work fine too if you wanna be boring

Just last night, placed an an older, mint Remington 700 7mm Mag into a new Bravo LA. Worked great! Added the lower cost adjustable butt pad and a minimalist spigot which will be here next week. The Accurate Mag CIP length mag has plenty of room for the Berger 180 at 20 thou off the lands.

1592006133688.png

1592006315716.png

Should have plenty of room for the 190's after I upgrade the barrel.

Good luck with your 7mm project!

7 Rem Mag is probably my favourite cartridge. I’m getting 2875fps from a 28” barrel, SAAMI chamber, using 195 Berger’s and Retumbo. I was well into the mid 2900s but had slight pressure signs and was out of my node.

But, I also recently jumped head first into the 28 Nosler. Got a manson reamer cut to seat the 195s long. Had two barrels spun up by benchmark, bought a ton of brass but when my components are gone I’m going back to the 7 Rem with the 190 Berger Hybrid. I like being boring hahaha.

Reactions: Boogieman84
The SAUM is a very efficient case and with a long action and a properly throated barrel for said long action you’ll see 7 Rem Mag velocities with less powder.

That said, I love my 7 Rem Mag and have not felt the need to rebarrel or change calibers. It just works and works well. Very versatile, easy to load for, and in a pinch you can find Factory ammo nearly everywhere. I’m shooting 162 ELD’s at 3,050 and 180’s at 2930 out of a 24” Proof CF barrel, both with H1000 powder. A lot of people go straight to the 180 class bullets but the 162’s over 3k fps will be good to 1,500 yards in a lot of conditions.

Brass wise the SAUM and the RM both have good quality options out there. The RM is slightly more available just due to popularity. I run Norma in my 7 RM and it’s been flawless.
The 168’s are really nice to shoot and quite capable
Just last night, placed an an older, mint Remington 700 7mm Mag into a new Bravo LA. Worked great! Added the lower cost adjustable butt pad and a minimalist spigot which will be here next week. The Accurate Mag CIP length mag has plenty of room for the Berger 180 at 20 thou off the lands.

View attachment 7349952

View attachment 7349954

Should have plenty of room for the 190's after I upgrade the barrel.

Good luck with your 7mm project!
the 190’s at anything over 2800 are quite impressive.

I'll be chasing you down for info on how to achieve that in a month or so.

RL26 will answer all your questions. I had a good node at ~2905fps in my 26" 7RM with the 195's. It's the magic sexy sauce for the 7's.

I had a very pleasant phone conversation with Rich Sherman about his 28 SM today. I think this is the way I am going to go with this project as I don't like being boring. He has everything in stock to get started and I saw today Preferred is doing Remage prefits for this cartridge at a reasonable price. I think I can get up and going shooting in what would be considered quick in our world.

Reactions: b6graham