• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

7mm Bullet Data?

LAKsupply

Private
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2009
Wyo
I'm having trouble finding bullet data on most of the manufacturer sites. I'm trying to find a 7mm bullet in the 120-140gr range, decent (high 400's) BC, with .580" or less ogive length. Am I just not looking in the right places or what? Berger is the only site I've been to out of Hornady, Speer, Sierra and Lapua that actually lists the dimensions of their bullet.

Re: 7mm Bullet Data?

I'm using Berger 140's and they are the best I've found in that weight range and have the highest BC I've found so far. I was using 150 Sierra HPBT match and the Bergers will gain about 50 inches in elevation at 900 yards over the 150's in my gun.

They recommend a 1:11 or faster twist G1 BC=.486 and G7BC=.249.
I don't think you'll find anythng better than those Berger 140 VLDs.

I'm using them in a 14" XP-100 at 2650fps and they are great.

Topstrap

The VLD's are the ones I was after, but I'm .012" too short for their ogive length. I would have taper in the neck... that's why I'm looking at other options. I'm limited to 2.25" and the WSSM case is 1.670". Doesn't leave much, but with the powder volume in the fat little case I can have some tail hanging in the powder column... just not too much nose out front.

OK, I am using them in a 7-08 and have a really deep throat and can really stick them way out to get near the lands. I think I'm .015 off them now and the base is still up in the case neck.

Here is a picture of some of the 7mm bullets I have so maybe you can kind of compare shapes? Sorry it is blurred but hope it might help some.

7mmbullets.jpg

Good luck

Topstrap

That does help... Thanks! The Berger VLD 140gr is just a bit too long, so now I have a POR to start from.

Are you sure that's a 140gr VLD by the way? According to Sierra their 150gr MK is .010" or so longer than the Berger, but it appears quite a bit shorter in the picture. That SST and the 140gr Sierra SPBT both look promising. How well do they each shoot?

Do you have a length on either or both of them? Berger is advertising that 140gr VLD at 1.018"

Berger 140gr VLD Hunting Match Grade = 1.286 OAL
Sierra 140gr SPBT = 1.1325 OAL
Sierra 150gr HPBT = 1.231 OAL

I rechecked the box for each and even opened up a new box of each to make sure. That Berger is a long bullet. Here are the boxes and numbers on each.

bulletselection.jpg

I haven't tried the SST for any really long distance but in my 7-08 the Sierra 140 SPBT shot very well but I gained quite a bit of elevation when I went to the Sierra 150 HPBT at 900 and gained that much more with the 140 Bergers. I just couldn't get enough velocity in my 14" barrel to match the Bergers but in a rifle they would prob be a very good choice. The Bergers just carried so much better with the velocity I was able to get. I'm limited with lower velocity so had to find the best matchup for what I'm shooting and the available bullets I can use.
Hope this helps

Topstrap

Thanks for the info... I'm checking into the SMK and a couple others, mainly due to ogive length. I can handle many of the 140gr bullets and still have good case capacity, but the big issue I'm noticing with the Berger is the loooong nose.

your on the right track with the smk , they have a notably shorter " nose " than the berger . you also might look at the nosler and swift bullets .