• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm long distance rifle build.... please advise

dudz

Private
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2010
New Zealand
Hi
After building a 7/08 which I must say I'm very pleased with for ranges from 300 to 800 yards. I want to build a 7mm cal rifle which is accurate at ranges up to 1400 yards. I want to use either 7WSM or 300RUM . Because I am going to use remington or savage actions (due to their ease of barrel swapping and low expense)
Please could Someone advise which one is the most accurate to these ranges and which eats barrels less ?

Re: 7mm long distance rifle build.... please advise

Case capacities:

7mm-08 54 grains
284 Win 66 grains
280 Rem 68 grains
280 AI 73 grains
7mm SAUM 73 grains
7mm WSM 81 grains
7mm Rem Mag 84 grains

The 284 Win chambered in a long Short Action (how's that for an oxymoron) or a regular long action will get you to 1400 yds, and have better barrel life than any 7mm with more capacity.

Heck a regular 7mm-08 makes 1200 yds pretty easy.

By long short action I mean a short action w/a Seekins WSM DBM which allows seating to 3.14". Thats about 0.085" shy of the max COAL a 284 could be and still keep a 180 gr. VLD bullet in the case.

Of course a regular long action also works well, even though it's 0.40" too long for a 284 seated to the max.

As to the most accurate, any well barreled 7mm is capable of fine accuracy, it's just that the bigger 7mm's are accurate for a shorter cycle of rounds.....

Thankyou to both of you !

BobinNC , I'm very interested in your statement that the 7/08 will do 1200 yards. What sort of bullet weight would get me there ?.
I'm using 160g SPBT and 162 A-max for 750 yards. I'm limited to only Vectan powders here. Using TU5000 in all my loads. Not getting over 2800fps.
Any advise would be much appriciated.

162 Amax, 175 SMK, 168 Berger from a 7-08 will do 1200yd around sea level DA's.

The 175 SMK will get past 1200 if you want to shoot through the sound barrier.

I'm running the 162BTHP at 2780fps and just missed by inches at 1mile this weekend. 1400Yards I'm still well above supersonic. Your current rig will do it.

Good luck,
Merritt

Merrit, that's good to hear. I've been looking for a medium/heavy bullet that flies well through the sound barrier. Sounds like the 162 BTHP is going to be the ticket for that.

I'm running 180 grain Bergers on top of 62.5 gr of H4831sc at 2990 fps in a DTA 7wsm. This combo has been very accurate out to 1 mile. I would look at the Bergers if I were you.

thanks all...

Thats great news. I shall try some 175's / 168's and the A-max to 1000 yards when I get chance.

Duds what's your twist? U may have problems with the 175s. Try the 162bthp first.

Good luck,
Merritt

I love my 7mm Remington Mag, great accuracy, lots of factory ammo choices, great brass (Norma), easy to reload for, and will take you out to 1400 yards all day long.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwroseberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Duds what's your twist? U may have problems with the 175s. Try the 162bthp first.</div></div>

rate of twist 1:9 / Barrel length = 28 inch

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Special Delivery</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love my 7mm Remington Mag, great accuracy, lots of factory ammo choices, great brass (Norma), easy to reload for, and will take you out to 1400 yards all day long.</div></div> +1
i have the same except mine is improved.
Dudz,stick with the 284 win if you want less recoil and .473 bolt face for long range use,or go with the 7wsm or 7mm mag for 1200+ range use with heavier bullets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dudz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mwroseberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Duds what's your twist? U may have problems with the 175s. Try the 162bthp first.</div></div>

rate of twist 1:9 / Barrel length = 28 inch

</div></div>

You will be fine with the 1/9 and 175gr SMK. My 1/9 Benchmark barrel in 7mm WSM had no problems with them as well as the 180 VLD it is shooting now.

1-9 on a 7-08 is borderline with a 175gr
its an equation of speed, twist rate and bullet length to get the stability factor. So a 1-9 may work for a 7wsm but it is borderline on a 7-08 depending on the speed your pushing. Do a search on Brian Litz's info on stability factors.

Good luck,
Merritt