• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk 7mm Mag for PRS

Kaveman44

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2019
getting ready to build my first PRS rifle and was thinking about using the 7mm cartridge, if the reason that not many people do is because of recoil? im 6'1" and 250 lbs but is 7mm more than is needed?

Our local club outlawed magnums on the line last year after we had a couple guys running 300's and annoying everyone. I don't see why you couldn't use it if your club allowed it though.

Now it's not exactly the most practical from a cost and recoil standpoint. If you haven't shot PRS yet, it's a recoil management game. Which is why you see everyone running 6 or 6.5's in short action cartridges.

Run a 280 AI and then you don't have to worry about whether magnums are allowed or not. You'll get close enough results without the rimmed cartridge or the magnum restrictions ever being a worry.

I run a standard 280 Rem with 162 ELD at 2840 FPS and it can carry out to around a mile supersonic. Most people push the 162 ELD over 2900 with the 280 AI.

Reactions: camotoe
Try it! I hit 3035 with the 180 ELDm with mine. Although I don’t use it for PRS.

getting ready to build my first PRS rifle and was thinking about using the 7mm cartridge, if the reason that not many people do is because of recoil? im 6'1" and 250 lbs but is 7mm more than is needed?
Go to a match or two and check it out before you do anything. Shoot what you have or borrow a gun. Ask some people to shoot their rifles. You’ll soon see why people shoot 6 and 6.5mm ‘s.

Reactions: Diver160651
i have a 300 WM hunting rile that was my dads and i also have a Rock River Arms AR-10 in 308, not many people use AR's in PRS right?

Just run your 308 at your first match. Gas guns are fine if they shoot around 1MOA

The reason people are going 6.5 or 6mm is because of a few things. You can sling the high BC bullets fast so just as good as ballistics as a heavier 7mm bullet with minimal recoil. Yes you are 6’1” and 250. I’m 5’8” 220. I lift quite a bit and can I take the recoil, yes. But managing a little 6mm and seeing the hit is the main reason people are using the smaller bullets. Will a 7mm do the trick, yes. But if your starting from scratch I’d say go shoot some different calibers especially if it is going to be a dedicated PRS gun.

I will begin to use mine for coyotes and the smaller bullet leaves less pelt damage.

I ran my 280 ai at the last K&M match for shits and giggles. Slinging the 180 ELD-Ms at 2900 was fun and there wasn't much recoil for the caliber. It hit hard. But like others said the recoil matters for follow up. I didn't even try inside 600 to spot my shots. Another thing to consider is mags. 10 rounders are single stack and comically long.Good luck getting low. We did some shooting off rocks and it was a bitch to get stable. I ended up using my 6 rounders and feeding the last 4 shots one at a time.

Also in some positions that bolt throw can get annoying...

Regardless how big you are they tend to tire you out.

Also in some positions that bolt throw can get annoying...

Regardless how big you are they tend to tire you out.

You know, I never once noticed the extra inch of throw. People always say that but as a mid pack shooter it never once limited me.

Also with that Hellfire, it wasn't bad at all. I shot 150 rounds that day and I never thought it was excessive on my body or mind. Just my .02

If you wanna smack targets hard and ring still then just run a 6 creed with 115’s.

Those damn things put a hurting on steel.

Personally I would run a 7mm anything. Now most don’t even run a 6.5. I still do but that’s gonna change when I re barrel then I will be jumping on the bandwagon and going 6mm of some sort.

You know, I never once noticed the extra inch of throw. People always say that but as a mid pack shooter it never once limited me.

Also with that Hellfire, it wasn't bad at all. I shot 150 rounds that day and I never thought it was excessive on my body or mind. Just my .02

yes, prone and some positions you have tons of room.. a 1/2" is a big deal once you are set up for obstacles.. efecialt the once that have you with the stock high

BTW I shoot plenty of long actions... just what i've found..

yes, prone and some positions you have tons of room.. a 1/2" is a big deal once you are set up for obstacles.. efecialt the once that have you with the stock high

BTW I shoot plenty of long actions... just what i've found..

No worries, I'm sure there's a point at which I'd notice the difference between the two. I'm just not there. The points I dropped where because of mag issues or positional problems. It was fun to shoot a long action. Sometimes it just fun to be different and there is no mistaking a hit even at 1k.

No worries, I'm sure there's a point at which I'd notice the difference between the two. I'm just not there. The points I dropped where because of mag issues or positional problems. It was fun to shoot a long action. Sometimes it just fun to be different and there is no mistaking a hit even at 1k.
and if you pick the correct match... the mg might be better.. but less of those today.

Unless you’re using a 284 or 7SAUM I feel like the costs outweigh the benefits and even then at most distances matches are held at you aren’t gaining much over the 6mm and 6.5’s

Reactions: Alpine 338
Most high performance bullets and cartridges have similar trajectory and wind drift out to around 800 yards. People will argue the difference, and chase it, but in reality your just splitting hairs. So you go with the cartridge with the least amount of recoil that has a pedigree of accuracy, that is why the 6 and 6.5 cartridges are the most popular in the PRS game. No one cares how much energy your bullet has, as long as it hits steel.

My first Snipers Hide Cup, I shot a 300WM. I excelled in the stages where targets we're at a distance, and usually prone, but it was a handicap on the barricade or positional stages. I ended up finishing at 72 out of 150 from what I recall? I did have a problem where the ejected cases were hitting my scope mount and randomly bouncing back into the action, so that and the short time limits didn't help me either.