• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

7mm Practical

BCX

Powder Consumer
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 18, 2018
    Any Practical shooters here? Im torn between the 28 Nosler which i REALLY hope Nosler ramps up brass production or try the Practical w a hydro die. If i go w a Practical setup 300 WM brass would be endless.

Is this the one that they call the "7mm Long Mag" on Long Range Hunting?

7/300 WM is a pretty solid round, lots more brass options than the Nosler stuff, less overbore and easier behaved, still looooots of punch.

Basically its a 7/300 wm w a 30 degree shoulder.

I've been wanting to build one of those to Nathan's specs
    However I'm interested to see about doing it with the new 300 PRC brass instead once that gets released a bit later this year.

Reactions: Jspillm
    I have a Bartlein 7mm 1-7.5 twist waiting. I almost ordered a Manson reamer today after talking w Nosler about 28 nobler brass.

I've been wanting to build one of those to Nathan's specs
    However I'm interested to see about doing it with the new 300 PRC brass instead once that gets released a bit later this year.
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but wouldn't that just be a 7LRM?

From what I understand using the 300 PRC brass would give you capacity and velocities similar to using the 300 WM case just not having to worry about a belted case.

I am recently building 7mm Practical rifle for 2000m shooting... This is only the beginning. I just wanted to know if it has some potential. Now I will make some changes...

SC03.jpg

The very first shooting after I found some promising load - 500m was 0,3 MOA, 100m 0,2 MOA.

It is Tikka in MDT chassis and Benchmark barrel 1:8 twist. 180 ELD-M 3050 fps... Sooo some potential is here ;)

Reactions: W54/XM-388
    Awesome did you use the Manson reamer? Are you using a hydro die to form brass?

From what I understand using the 300 PRC brass would give you capacity and velocities similar to using the 300 WM case just not having to worry about a belted case.

Hornady will be making the brass correct? I don't think I want to try it after the issues with the 6.5 saum brass. The cartridge sounds awesome other than that.

Dave Tooley was in a couple threads with his experiences on the 300 PRC and he didn't seem to have issues with all the preproduction factory stuff he was using, so hard to say. But if it doesn't work out brass wise, then I'll go back to the original plan of doing a 7mm Practical on the 300wm case. Since I'm testing on an AXMC, it's just a matter of buying another barrel.

Hornady will be making the brass correct? I don't think I want to try it after the issues with the 6.5 saum brass. The cartridge sounds awesome other than that.
    I have 600 pieces of Hornady 6.5 PRC brass just waiting on my barreled action. Hopefully it holds up.

Reactions: Bradu
    Not sure why you would want a wildcat built off a belted case. You should look seriously at the 7LRM. It’s build off the 375 Ruger, a non belted case. Hornady Brass is available from Gunwerks and it performs very well. I’m shooting a 22” Barrel with 180g Berger hybrids and getting 2915 FPS without pushing it very hard.
    Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Bandit31
    Awesome did you use the Manson reamer? Are you using a hydro die to form brass?

Yes, Manson reamer.

No hydroforming, just 300WM body an shoulders then neck with bushing and it is ready to shoot... With these results... And annealing, obviously...

Why not other case? Because time and availability... I need to be ready for Ko2M in France. We will have except 2 miles even "Master of 2 Kilometers" - that is our goal - for 2 miles this setup is not enough. And it will be in April...

Reactions: shanem81
    Yes, 300PRC is 375 Ruger brass necked down. So then if you necked down a 300 to 7mm... wouldn't you end up with a 7LRM? I think the 7LRM may be shortened a bit, but that's all it is.

Ordering my reamer from Mr. Manson tomorrow..... I think this is going to be fun!!
    Order a Hydro die also. Than you can make brass for us LOL. I thought about going that route.