• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm PRS Cartridge

HDEAN20

Private
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2019
I am building another PRS gun. This one will not be my primary. I mainly run my dasher. With this build I'd like to build something larger, either 6.5 or 7mm shooting heavy for caliber bullets. I will shoot this gun in practice to get a little more recoil compared to the dasher I run in most matches. In addition to practice, I will shoot this gun in matches where the ranges are a little further. The Hornady PRC match from last year and this year, as well as the Montana PRS match this year come to mind. I expect this gun to weigh around 25 lbs like my other gun, so while the recoil will obviously be more than my dasher, I don't think it'll be so much that I am unable to spot shots and see trace. I'd like to achieve 2750-2800 fps with either caliber, run it on a short action, and run a standard 308 bolt face. I plan on running the 153 atips or 156.5 bergers in the 6.5, or the 190 berger or atips in the 7. Does a cartridge like this exist? I was looking at the 7 and 6.5 SST but I'd like to avoid the magnum bolt face and mag capacity issues if possible. I had contemplated just a standard 6.5 creedmoor but I doubt I will be able to get the speed I want to make it worth running those heavier bullets. Is there a magical caliber out there that I am missing?

You might be able to tease 2750 out of a 6.5CM with 153's, but it's most likely going to require a jump up to the SAUM class of cases.

7mm SAW from WTO with the longer freebore reamer might work?

I had looked at the 7 SAW, it looked promising. My concern was seating depth with the longer bullets. Longer Freeborn would solve that, do you happen to know if they are still mag length with the longer free bore reamer?

Without the binder plate I think so. That should get you out to 2.950”. I think WTO published some info on their site about heavies.

I load my 7-08 with 162 AMAX to 2.950 with binderless AI mags. .020 or so off the lands.

I get about 2650 with 26” barrel. 45 gr H4350 could probably try 4831. I’m out of room in the case.

I have 2x 7mm SAW rifles if you want any info. I have been pondering getting a heavy 7mm barrel for my AXMC and figuring out how to run 284win with 180s using modified magnum magazines though...

Reactions: Leatherlunger
I put together a 6.5 sweede improved. Look for the swedemoor on here. It has a lot of punch. A 260ai would push it as well.

I have a 7 SAW barrel for a TL3 if that would peak your interest.

Reactions: b6graham
190 A-Tips are really long

180 hybrids would be better for a short action

currently testing a 284 win, in SA

probably the best option along with 284 shehane
if you're trying to push 180gr+ bullets in a SA, non magnum

I have 2x 7mm SAW rifles if you want any info. I have been pondering getting a heavy 7mm barrel for my AXMC and figuring out how to run 284win with 180s using modified magnum magazines though...

you dont need to run a magnum magazine for 284win

you can use a 308 MDT mag, just need to open up the guide grooves in front of the feed lips

no issues feeding with an impact action

190 A-Tips are really long

180 hybrids would be better for a short action

currently testing a 284 win, in SA

probably the best option along with 284 shehane
if you're trying to push 180gr+ bullets in a SA, non magnum
The 180ELDM worked really well out of a SA mag with that long bearing surface, too bad they like to blow up now.

Perhaps a .284Win or 6.5-284 would get you there, running 2.950" COAL. I was able to get .284Win - 2,800fps with 175's with a 22" barrel without any difficulty.

i shoot a 7SAW with the SAWII long freebore reamer.

162s at 2850 and 180s at 2750. both have room to go faster

both mag fed with good bullet placement at 2.935 and 2.955 respectively

What length of barrel and powder type do you use b6?

I had contemplated just a standard 6.5 creedmoor but I doubt I will be able to get the speed I want to make it worth running those heavier bullets. Is there a magical caliber out there that I am missing?

Have you followed what Dan Bertocchini did with his 6.5 creed and heavy Bergers? Won the MDT match in WA state then took 2nd place at Hornady PRC. He talks about it a bunch in the VP Precision podcast interview with Jon Pynch. I'd suggest checking that out since it seems like the easiest route to achieve what you're trying to do. I think he was getting the speeds you're trying to achieve.

Reactions: Jeremy45
Be aware that the 284 will have a long jump on a short action if you don’t use a custom reamer. Here is an example of one loaded 0.02” off lands for one I had and one loaded to max magazine feeding length for an arc magazine. Both with 180 eldm

Attachments

• A59E0BFE-CA71-4462-A88F-48CBC4DA46CF.jpeg
    A59E0BFE-CA71-4462-A88F-48CBC4DA46CF.jpeg
    245 KB · Views: 166
while i still suggest the 7SAW

here's a little reference

their specs from a 26"
2.81 coal
2700fps
and that's short factory ammo

27"
varget 41.4gr

thats some impressive numbers

takes 10-14gr more powder in a 284win to hit 2800-2850
with either H4350 or 4831

Perhaps a .284Win or 6.5-284 would get you there, running 2.950" COAL. I was able to get .284Win - 2,800fps with 175's with a 22" barrel without any difficulty.

What powder is that with?
That kind of velocity is what you'd expect from a long action and a lot more barrel.