• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm Rem Mag parts/build list

Quicksilver

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2013
College Station, TX
Decided to stick with a 7mm Rem Mag, so I have currently purchased-

One brand new Left handed 7mm Rem Mag Remington 700 from Gander (Looked at it 5 times, negotiated 4 different times, finally got them to cut me a deal on it)
TAC21 chassis, left handed long action (3lbs, 1 oz)
Magpul PRS stock & buffer tube to screw onto the back of the TAC21 setup (2lbs)
Atlas Bipod (13 oz)
Monopod (9 oz)
NF scope w/ rings, bubble level & angle indicator (2lb, 6 oz)
Total weight of everything BUT action/trigger/bolt/barrel = Roughly 9lbs.

That's all the parts I have so far- EDIT: I shoot right handed- I purchased left handed because I see a lot of benchrest shooters using setups like that to keep their shooting hand on the rifle and keep it shouldered, also most won't remove their cheek from it- they just use the free left hand to work the bolt, then get back to using the left hand to squeeze the rear bag, adjust the rest, ect.

What trigger should I use, or can I for now just have a 'smith adjust it down to 3lbs- my factory trigger is actually pretty nice- no detectable creep, just heavy pull.

What is the thickest barrel I need for shooting 15 rounds in 15 minutes that will not heat up and distort? I was thinking maybe a #8 or #7 barrel (pretty thick) and then having it fluted.

Im trying to keep the entire rig under 16lbs. Also, I will CeraKote when finished (not that I think that will add a pound or anything) but maybe 3-4 ounces? Looking at all the BS that goes on it, I only have a 7lb window to work with on barrel/action/bolt/trigger weight.

Last edited:
I run a Kreiger heavy target on mine. it does a great job and I have had zero issues with it. On trigger I went Timney but I run alot of tactical matches and don't want to run a 1lb trigger. Also Jewel wouldn't fit into my AX chassis without modification to the chassis.

Good luck,
Merritt

I have an XLR 7mm Savage model.. I bought the barrel from McGowen precision..26" length and 9.25:1 twist...It was already built and ready to sell..I shot about 400 rounds through it out to 600 yards and accuracy is awesome...5 shots group smaller than the size of a dime.