• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm Remington Magnum ELR is it worth it?

I hate belted cartridges because the belt is irrelevant.
Why is it there?
Because of ignorance.
Wouldn't the cartridge be better off without the belt? Of course it would.
I have a 7mm RM, I like it immensely. You know what would make it better? No stupid, useless fucking belt.
The belt is there for the reasons I explained earlier about the transition from Nitro double guns to smokeless bolt guns and the limitations of cartridge design in the early 20th century. The belt remains because it was a case that already existed from which other cartridges were born. It's irrelevant but it's the standard for standard Magnums. If you think it keeps you from building a great shooting gun or makes reloading more difficult, you are ignorant and/or ignorantly biased.

Reactions: RTH1800
The belt is there for the reasons I explained earlier about the transition from Nitro double guns to smokeless bolt guns and the limitations of cartridge design in the early 20th century. The belt remains because it was a case that already existed from which other cartridges were born. It's irrelevant but it's the standard for standard Magnums. If you think it keeps you from building a great shooting gun or makes reloading more difficult, you are ignorant and/or ignorantly biased.
1962 was "early 20th century"?
Maybe you should revisit history.
The 7mm Remington magnum was designed LONG after the transition from nitro double guns to smokeless bolt guns
Seems you are incapable of understanding the thread as I said the exact same thing BEFORE you did in regards to the reason for the belt, though you went into much ore detail.
There is one reason and one reason only that there is a belt on the 7mm Remington magnum (and the 300 win mag).
It is because the window licking American sportsman demanded that it couldn't be a magnum without a belt.
Apparently you are too ignorant to accept facts.
I never said that you couldn't build a great shooting gun on a belted magnum, I merely stated the belt what useless and stupid. It serves no fucking purpose.
It's like putting a dishwasher in the back seat of a GT350 mustang. There is no fucking reason for it to exist.

Great info. I am thinking about a 7mm RM for target shooting only. Ballistics on it are great.

I run a custom 7RM for shooting steel too. Shooting 180 berger hybrids over retumbo and getting 3040 fps with them an SD of 6.2 and an ES of 15. At my current elevation ~300 ft above sea level they don't go subsonic until 1800 yards, so it will get you to a mile no problem. I'm gonna give the Berger 195 EOL's a try at some point but haven't had the time to work up a new load. As some have mentioned in this thread, the belted mags can be a little finicky when reloading for if you don't have your reloading process down to a "T". I have learned a lot about the heavy 7's in the last year of owning this rifle, the main things I've learned is that the heavy 7's like RM, 28 Nosler, even 7 SAUM/WSM won't go more than 100 rounds before needing to be cleaned. My rifle won't go more than 95 rounds down the tube before it starts having wild fluctuations in MV. Hence, why lots of people have moved away from the 28 Nosler and such for ELR competition because it usually can't even make it through a 80-100 round match before the barrel is too fouled to shoot consistent MV and thus make consistent impacts at the distances of ELR comp. But, since you seem to not be interested in that side of it, it's not too big of a thing to worry about just make sure you have a solid cleaning regime. Another thing I've learned from several of the best 7mm gunsmiths is that the heavy 7's like a lot of neck clearance. So make sure you have a reamer spec'd so that you have at least 0.003 - 0.004" clearance between a loaded round and the neck, otherwise you'll be neck turning (like me). One of the smiths I've talked to entire business is centered around the 28 nosler (you can probably find him based on that information) and he builds approximately 1-2 (28 Noslers) a week . His advice is to have minimum 4 thou neck clearance. I didn't know that before I had mine built and now I have to neck turn my cases to get the required clearance. I turn my cases to 6 thou neck clearance and once I did that my SD's dropped significantly from high teens/low 20's to high single digits like it is now. Mine was also finicky in the fact that it didn't like the CCI 250's I was using, once I switched to Federal 215M's my SD's dropped as well. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Custom SAC Rifle.JPG