• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm RM for class use

DaveV

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2009
_
I am considering a 7mm RM build but I want to make sure I'm not painting myself into a corner for class use. Are 7 Mags a go or no-go for most classes?

Thanks!

Re: 7mm RM for class use

Depends on what you mean by class use. Could you take a precision rifle class with that caliber, sure. I'd run a bullet with a high BC, like a 162 A-max, 168 or 180 Berger VLD. If you reload, I would work up a good load with whatever bullet you plan to use. Years ago I took a class with my 270 Win. So, yeah, it's doable.

Thanks Chad. What I meant is that short actions seem to be on the list for most classes and I was concerned that my 7mag might not be GTG. I'm already in that boat with my .338LM and didn't want to recreate the wheel. I want to stay with 7mmRM because it's the "bird in hand" but if I need to shift over to .308 I will. I plan to hand load either way, so the cost should be about a wash. Thanks.

Ok. The 7 Mag is a great round. It pushes high BC bullets pretty fast. Since it's a magnum round, you pay the price with increased recoil and muzzle blast. But with a good load and good scope, you should be fine.

Why not chamber your rifle in 7 WSM and avoid the belt?

You have to follow what the instructors want when going to a class. They can explain their reasons. Borrow a .308 from someone.

I also have a 7mmRM it is a very effective cartridge.

Good luck

Jerry

Just an FYI, I have seen some stuff "tactical" limited to 3006 and below. They said the mags were to hard on the steel. That is why I added a 308 just for tactical comps. Also, shooting 100 rounds a day at a class or comp is not a good receip for long barrel life!

I love my 7 rm mag, and for the belt stuff, pay no attention. I feel it's old thinking. Once you fire the case you are setting you headspace off the shoulder and bolt face, making the belt a non issue IMHO.