• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm Sherman Short

Hondo1

Sergeant USMC
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 2, 2014
    Colorado
    Looking for some good first hand experience from those of you who run the 7mm SS in a AICS fed short action. There are some pretty bold claims on the LRH forum of sending 180’s at 3k. Is this a realistic expectation?
    Any information would be much appreciated.

IMO it is very possible. I have a short action 300 WSM that pushes a Berger 208 LRHT at 3030 out of a 26" with the right powder like RL26. The question is would it do it a mag length? My OAL is at 3.05 for the 300 WSM. I don't have any experience with the 7SS but it is possible.

Reactions: Hondo1
    I shoot the 195’s at 2850 from a 26” barrel. Had them up to about 2900 so 3k with a 180 might be doable.

We ran my shooting buddy's 180 hybrids across my labradar at 2950 out of a 24". He had some ejector marks, but we think it was from virgin brass being a bit short on headspace. I think 3K would be doable.

3k seems like a lot for that case capacity without a 26”+ barrel. Especially considering the 7 prc with more case capacity is spec’d as a 180 at 3k. I’d bet 2900 or 2950 is doable. A 180 at 2900 out of a short action is a pretty effective combination. I know the general consensus is that the Sherman cartridges are over marketed in the velocity department

Looking for some good first hand experience from those of you who run the 7mm SS in a AICS fed short action. There are some pretty bold claims on the LRH forum of sending 180’s at 3k. Is this a realistic expectation?
    Any information would be much appreciated.
    Depends on the 180 your barrel and environment honestly. I’m running 180gr ELDm at 2900 out of a 24” proof with a max load of RL26. I haven’t run into pressure yet with my good batch of brass. 50 of my pieces rich had to turn and i think are on the thick side. I need to turn them.

A shorter 180 like the hybrid which the Sherman was basically designed around will be able to hit 2900+ with relative ease with RL26 or N570.

I still stand that it’s the best true 7mm short mag on the market if you’re willing to fireform.

Off topic but this was why i was so disappointed in the 7 prc. Cartridge should’ve been at least medium. We have plenty of long action 7 mags.

Forgot to mention my OAL is 2.970. Even if you can’t get 3K out of a 180 it’s an absolute land cannon at 2900. Truthfully there isn’t much that rivals that much performance out of a true short action. I think I’m supersonic to 1900yds or something insane last i checked for my load. The doe in the bottom pic is through and through at 525yds.
    E4C22232-8B69-4504-88FF-0760BB4B5440.jpeg

91B99854-AD8E-4BD2-8BF7-5AE76A8267F1.jpeg

7E35F4C0-8C4D-4358-B96F-2C06046E6FC1.jpeg

465ABF7C-8DD1-4A31-A270-0F765D83B791.jpeg

Last edited:
    • Wow
    Reactions: BAKPAKR and BCX
    Reactions: 5RWill
    I had one briefly, couldn’t get the performance out of it I thought I should be getting. Turned out the reamer the smith used was apparently “worn out”. I sold the rifle to a buddy that is far more experienced than me at hand loading. Thinking it was my hand loading that was making it anemic. He called the smith and they got it worked out. Said all that to say, that even at 2780 fps with 175’s everything I pointed it at died with authority. I love a short mag.

I have one. 26” Bart. Shooting the 180 ELD with Norma brass and RL 26. It’s right @3000 fps in the summer and @3030 fps when it gets cold. COAL I want to say is about 2.92ish. Going off memory there.

I have a 27" 7SS. 180 hybrids are 2980 and 184 hybrids are 2960s with RL-26. I could go faster but don't see the need to. Not sure on exact COAL, but I'm pretty much using all the room in a MDT short mag magazine.

I was on the fence trying to decide on a 7saum or 7ss if I replace my 300wsm for hunting. In reading thru the other forums where the Sherman rounds are pushed hard it's hard to tell if it's legitimate accolades or just fanboys being fanboys.

That said it looks popular and should be good to go.

I have 2 6.5 Max's. The only relevant crossover I can offer is that the Sherman cartridges and ADG brass hide pressure very well. Primer pockets after 3rd hot firing were really the only telltale sign. I worked up the hot loads in a factory Tikka 6.5 that was cleaned up with the Max reamer. After finding the limits, I added a fresh Bartlein and kept the charges sane.

Reactions: Hondo1 and jbuck88
    I maxed out a 195 Berger in 7 MAX on a long action at 3050 fps w N570 in 26 inch barrel. My accuracy load is 2925 fps. 5th firing on brass.