• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm short mag bbl length??

birddog28

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2008
GA, USA
Anybody shooting a short bbl in 7mm short? Re-barreling now that deer season is over. Going either .308 or 7mm....really want the 7 just want to go short if possible...

Any comments?

Re: 7mm short mag bbl length??

I run my 7mm WSM with a 22" barrel. It slings a 162 A-max at about 2950fps with 62.3 grains of H4831sc. I kept the velocity down so the barrel wouldn't burn out too fast. I have a little over 2000 rounds through it so far from 25-1200yds with good results. However, I could barely get the 180gr Bergers to 3000fps without pressure signs and a tight bolt....

CM

If you go with a barrel shorter than 22-24", you are probably better served, in my humble opinion, with a 280AI or similar.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you go with a barrel shorter than 22-24", you are probably better served, in my humble opinion, with a 280AI or similar. </div></div>

That would have to be in a long action, right? I think I'd rather have another inch of barrel than receiver.

Technically the short mags are all better served on a long action if you want to shoot vld bullets without having to jam them way down into the case.

Im also curious to hear some velocity reports with shorter barrels though.

Wish I could help you out, I ended up going with a 26" barrel for my 7wsm build. I wanted to get as much speed out of it as I could.

+1 I am no help my shortest barreled 7WSM is 26." Same reason I wanted max velocity from the 180 grain bullet class.

JeffVN

I've got 2 custom built 7mmSAUM one 26' barrel & one 19" get between 2750 & 2800 fps using 162 amax & 168vlds in the 19" barrel short action. The 26" is a long action for the 180 vlds & jlks