• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

7mm STW or 300 WSM

JustPlinking

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2009
Bucks county Pa.
Greetings everyone,

I am looking to build another target/tactical rifle. The longest range I have available is roughly 600 yds. At the moment I have been leaning towards 7mm stw. I had one before, it was a nice flat shooting long ranger. My question is,. Is the 300 wsm a viable option or is it just another marketing round to sell some guns that gives no added advantages. Is it here to stay?

Thanks

Re: 7mm STW or 300 WSM

I have both, the advantage of 300wsm is short action. My 300 is built on Manners T-4 with 7 contour bbl, tactical style. My stw is built lighter weight sporter style stock. If you are going to use it for target tactical I would go with the 300 if those are the choices you have narrowed it down to!!

I'm pushing factory 180 accubonds at 2900+ out of 300wsm. I haven't even pushed the envelope with load development yet as I only really hunt with it.

Is barrel life a factor to you?

My shooting partner had a 7STW sendero. He got less than 1000 rds. before the throat is burned out (using IMR7828). He has since rechambered to 300WM. My 300WM got 1500 out of the last barrel and I'm hoping to get a lot more than that by switching to H1000. My understanding is that the 300WSM is easier on throats that the WM, but I have not verified that myself.

John

300 wsm is an accurate cartridge. A friend of mine built one that matched the 1000yd world record group. I have a 7x300wsm which is also very accurate. The WSM's aren't going anywhere.

The STW is ballistically superior to the 300wsm. Other than that it's just a personal choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not have the best of both worlds and go 7WSM. </div></div>

Nailed it! There are a lot of ballistically superior cartridges out there. The 300WSM has been building a reputation for being a precise cartridge. At 600yds there are a lot of good caliber choices. But if I had to decide for 600yds between the STW and the WSM I would go WSM for shear precision. (260's are extremely accurate at 600yds too) The 7WSM is the way to go, best balance of powder, barrel life, and velocity.

The 7WSM will do almost anything that the 7rem mag will do. The 300WSM will not do what the 300winny will do. For short mags my money is in a 7wsm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shootone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">at 600yds both are overkill i would do a 7-08 or 223ai </div></div>

I agree 110%

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cheyenne19</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 300WSM will not do what the 300winny will do. </div></div>

Hmm. There are some guys in my town running Stiller actions behind 300WSM chambers that are doing everything a WM of similar barrel would do, with 210 JLK's. Might have to qualify this statement.

John

Not to step on any toes John, but I haven't seen any 300WSM running 210's 3050+fps. They stay very close with 180 and 190 class bullets. Which imo is why the 7WSM is closer to the 7mmRM than the 300WSM is to the 300WM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cheyenne19</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to step on any toes John, but I haven't seen any 300WSM running 210's 3050+fps. They stay very close with 180 and 190 class bullets. Which imo is why the 7WSM is closer to the 7mmRM than the 300WSM is to the 300WM. </div></div>

And not meaning to step on your toes at all... my post may have come off a little ascerbic.
wink.gif
I'd say though, from my experience, 3050 for 210's is pretty hot in a WM, but I'm not an expert by any means. What length barrel and powder? I'm curious.

Norm for most of the guys I know shooting 208's, 210's is 2900-2950. The WSM is easily up to this.

John

It is pretty hot for a WM. 28" tube with 82gr of Retumbo.
I did a little looking on reloadersnest just to make sure I wasn't talking out of my ass. The avg velocity for 210's in the 300WSM is 2746 and 210's in the 300WM is 2905. I through out the slowest load for each one. So maybe 170fps isn't that big of a deal, but it's not exactly everything that a WM will do either. There weren't enough loads to do an average on the 180's in the 7WSM or 7RM.

That's a lot more than I expected, although it is an average. It's possible these guys are pushing the envelope. I haven't shot with them, just bought bullets from them.

I remember that when the uber-300WSM came out it was supposed to be the do-all, end-all .300 magnum, but first reports were that it couldn't shoot the heavies with the WM. I guess this would confirm that.

Sorry if we hijacked the OP's thread.

moving on...

John

Thank you all for replying. I am happy to hear the wsm is hear to stay and many people have had great success with it. I only was interested in the 7mm stw because I had one before and it is familiar. I am glad it was mentioned about the Sendero's short life. There has been one on gunbroker I was glassing over. I am looking for a larger cal. in magnum. So very open to ideas at this point. I have a 22-250 varmiter and a 556 tac driver among others. If money was no option I would love to build a 338 Lapua.
But that is not the case. The wife doesn't understand my justification of ...but i didn't have it in that caliber..
Thanks again

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cheyenne19</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 300WSM will not do what the 300winny will do. </div></div>

Hmm. There are some guys in my town running Stiller actions behind 300WSM chambers that are doing everything a WM of similar barrel would do, with 210 JLK's. Might have to qualify this statement.

John </div></div>

+1