• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

7mm STW Sendero

317millhand

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
May 8, 2011
Hazard, Ky
I picked one up a few days ago at a great price. I do not have any experience with this round. Does it have potential, and what can be done to this rifle to make it a long range cannon?

Re: 7mm STW Sendero

It has great hunting potential. Most do not shoot it for targets or steel as barrel life can be very short. 750-900 shots. Otherwise, fine.
RTH

I have one that is on its second tube. I shot the first one up in less than 500rds. I shot a 140gr bullet with a max load of H1000. This was a hunting rifle and I used a 300yd zero and knew where to hold at 500yd. I shot plenty of deer and coyotes with it. Not to mention lots of rocks. I had that first tube hotter than hell more than one time. If you take it very easy on it you should be able to get close to 1,000. 750 to 900 sounds more in line for an average person.

Loaded up with 162amax's or 168vld's it'll be a hammer. The twist may allow for heavier rounds, but the two listed above will more than suit your needs.

As mentioned, the performance comes with a price; the barrel won't last as long as a milder cartridge.

burned my barrel in 620 rds, 82 gr of H1000 with a nosler balistic silvertip going 3600 FPS, shot a crow at 210 yds and a coyote at 936, never made another step.
hell of a caliber on game and barrel.

I run 88grs of H-1000 with a 140 Nosler Accubond with a Federal Lg Rifle Mag Primer. No pressure at all in my Sendero action with a Hart barrel. Factory barrel was gone at about 500rds. When this barrel is shot out, I will be putting another one on it. I have shot it at everything from whitetail deer to P/Ds. I love it!

Holy barrel-burner, Batman! I guess you couldn't expect much different when you're sending ~85hr H1000 down a .284" bore...

The way I work up a load, the barrel would be screwed before I ever settled on a good one.

I would think the 180-class bullets would be a real winner with the 7STW.

Most factory barrel won`t shoot the 180gr Bergers good but they usually like the 168gr Bergers and 162 AMAX.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: excaliber</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most factory barrel won`t shoot the 180gr Bergers good but they usually like the 168gr Bergers and 162 AMAX. </div></div>

Yeah, and it will hammer deer size game with either of those two bullets.

My friends and I are fans of the STW's. Several 7STW's, 3 .257 STW's and a newly built 338 STW for our elk trip. Great rounds for hunting but hard on pipes. My first barrel in my .257 STW went 450 rounds. 100 gr TSX's at 3800 fps. Minute of deer for long way. My new barrel is a "light" load of 110 AB's at 3600. I'm hoping for 500 rounds!

Shoot it. Have fun. Barrels are an expendable commodity!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rpk762</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I shot a 140gr bullet with a max load of H1000. This was a hunting rifle and I used a 300yd zero and knew where to hold at 500yd. </div></div>

What he said. Super flat shooting with the 140 and a 300 yard zero is great for hunting just about anything.

I have one in a savage and as for hunting its wicked only down side is finding ammo if you don't reload if ya do load up some 110 for ground hogs and 168 for bigger game. as for a target gun I can't say as mine rocks a sporter barrel and gets too hot after three shots

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 317millhand</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does it have potential, and what can be done to this rifle to make it a long range cannon? </div></div>

Its already a long range cannon...if you are asking how to make it more shooter friendy as far as recoil just add a break to it.

This caliber was designed for long range hunting...it is flat as hell.

I have this same exact gun, but I only throw factory 140s down the tube. I haven't played around with reloading for it yet. Too many other projects :)

hell yeah it out shoots a 7 rem mag, it uses the 8MM rem mag case which is quite a bit longer than the 7 mag and 300 win mag,

7STW case length : 2.840
300 win mag: 2.620
7 rem mag: 2.490
hope this helps.

I know its old new to alot of you guys, but I have never had any dealings with this cartridge. I did have a 300 ultra mag that had some serious kick, but no brake. The Sendero 7mm STW does already have a brake, so hopefully that will help. Im gonna try to fire it tomorrow to see if I like it. Anyway, heres some pics for those that dont know. The scope is a beatup Tasco Euroclass and came on the rifle. If I keep the rifle, that will for sure change.
Untitled.jpg

photobucket-41256-1340324462346.jpg

make sure to wear plugs and muffs, those 7 STW are loud as hell.
happy trigger time.

Loud is right, but suprisingly the brake works well. Very little recoil. I only had 6 rounds to fire of 150 gr. Federal, but they were well below moa at 100 yards. I think I like it.

I guess what I really dont understand is why this round was once so popular. Looking at the ballistics, the 300 ultra mag shoots even flatter with heavier bullets.

Run the ballistics with a 180 Berger Hybrid and I'd imagine it'd outshoot just about anything shy of a 338LM

Just wondering if any of you that shot out the factory barrel, ever sent it back to Remington to get it replaced? I know a guy that bought a Remington PSS in .223 (New), 3 months and 6,000 rds later, the barrel was toast. Ended up sending the gun back and Remington replaced the barrel for free.