• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm STW vs 300 WBY Mag for long range elk/moose

Jeremybj

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2011
Council Bluffs, Iowa
Hey everyone,

I am getting a little closer to being able to get my next gun. I am going to go with a long range hunting rifle that I plan on using for elk and moose(deer get the 243 treatment.) I have a buddy who raves about his 7mm STW which he shot a cow elk at 700 yards last year with. I am between that and the 300 Weatherby Magnum. Which would you folks recommend and why? I dont plan on shooting that far this year, but I want to try to work up to it. On a side note, I am thinking of a Vortex PST 2.5-10 power optic on it, but I may go with a little more magnification. Any help would be great!

Re: 7mm STW vs 300 WBY Mag for long range elk/moose

I wouldn't consider either one, even though I hunt with the stw. A 300wm will
do all you need it to. The 300 weatherby has a good chance of not delivering
the kind of accuracy you'll need at 1000. Too much freebore.

My father goes on annual elk hunting trips in Idaho with his 300 Wby Mark V Ultralight with a Swarovski sumbitchin nice model on top. I've shot it some but at 100yds the best group I can get is about 2". I wouldn't trust it at 700. A lot of that has to do with the barrel not being very thick also. He has to go light as his guide does a fair amount of backpacking.

For reference, I have shot a number of .25-.5" groups at 100yds with my 308.

With more practice, it might be viable but at 3-4$ per factory load, it gets expensive fast. I'd also lean towards a 300wm as bigwheeler suggests. Cheaper to shoot, easier to find ammo, easier to find ammo components for reloading, more long range information is available, proven caliber.

I started with a 338 Edge for a long range hunting rifle, rebarreled it to a straight 300RUM. 30" Rock barrel, Nesika single shot action, McMillan HTG adj. comb stock, jewell trigger, NF NXS 5-22X50 with the NPR1 reticle. The load that shoots the best is 94gr of Retumbo w/ the 200gr Nosler accubond for 3225fps. Last fall I killed a very good mule deer at 1180 yards and the year before a bull elk at 850. The bullet performed exceptionally well at those distances IMO. I'd go the 300 RUM or the Win Mag.

The 7mmstw will be a lot harder to find any factory ammo if you ever need to for it. It is also harder to load the bigger loads. I hunt with both, and they can work extremely well.

Kris

I'm with bigwheeler. On a backpack hunt in Montana years ago, the airplane baggage handlers lost my bag with most of my .300 Weatherby ammo in it. At the time, there was NO additional .300 WBY available in Boseman or Ennis. I had 20 rounds in another bag, and it was enough...but, if I had dropped the rifle and needed to check sighting, I'd have been cutting it THIN. Get the .300 Winchester. Enough gun, and ammo everywhere...even WalMart. JMHO

That's a lot of gun for an elk. Most hunting shots are between 150 and 400 in my experience out here in colorado. More important out here is a flat trajectory (or a good degree of experience with on the fly adjustments for what you are shooting) and a working knowledge of adjustments for elevation and angle.

My favored elk cartridge is the 308 (familiarity, experience, working knowledge of adjustments in the field) but I would personally have trouble going much larger than that to avoid damaging the fur and meat any more than I have to. Shot placement is key, not necessarily bringing a howitzer.

I have a viper vortex PST. The new 4-16x50 so far has been pretty nice but to be fair i haven't had it in the trees yet. That may come this winter.

In the end I would ask you "why are you limited to those two choices? What are you getting with one of them that another option you have is not going to get you?" That second question will also help you differentiate between the two. At the end of the day, this is mostly recreation. Choose the one you are more familiar with, that you can afford to shoot often, and that you will enjoy owning and using on a regular basis.

I'd like to hear a little more about the type of rifle you're thinking about building...

Are you looking at a heavy hunting style rifle, something similar in dimensions to a Rem Sendero? Or more of a tactical style rifle like most of the rifles seen on this site?

I'd honestly rule out both the cartridges mentioned, mostly for reasons posted above. The 7 stw really is a small bullet for the case capacity. Very overbore. With that capacity I'd look for at least .30cal or larger that wouldn't require a 30" barrel to efficiently utilize the cartridge capacity. The .300WBY is a good cartridge just looking at ballistics (200gr and around 3000fps). But as mentioned above built to standard spec would have a ton of freebore, possibly/probably affecting accuracy.

.300 Win Mag really is a great choice. Very versatile cartridge, easy to load for, and easy to find factory ammo should the need arise. If you feel the need to shoot a cartridge with case capacity of 90 grains or more, I'd start looking at .338 cal, probably .338LM and 300gr bullets to get the most out of that capacity.

A custom .338LM is what I use for long range hunting here in Wyoming. The 300gr bullet sure comes in handy when the wind kicks up and the critters get large.

I am looking at a lighter weight hunting style rifle, something I can carry. I was looking at a Remington 700 in 7mm STW or a Weatherby Vanguard in 300WBY. I know everyone says get something that you can buy ammo anywhere, but really, I am not too worried(call me nieve) as I load my own stuff and we always drive, never fly. does the 300 WM deliver enough knock down to make the long shots? Another thing I was thinking of was getting a McGowen barrel for the 700 and something like a Lilja if I got the Vanguard. Not sure yet, just trying to get a feel for something that will deliver good long range accuracy with a healthy amount of knockdown power. I'm looking for input so throw those suggestions out there! I guess a budget would be $1100 or so on the rifle and $600 on the optic.

Having extra knockdown doesn't matter if you don't put the bullet where it belongs. The 300WM is proven in the accuracy department.

I shot a bull at about 700 yards with a 300WM, it did the job well. If you want 1000 yards, however, you will have to move up to a 300 RUM or a 338 Edge/Lapua. I don't carry drops past 900 yards when hunting elk with a 300WM.

If I were building a lightweight rig, I'd probably go with a 300 WSM. Anything larger and the recoil is too much (I don't use brakes). I personally don't like smaller caliber bullets on elk. I do hardcore backpacking hunts with a Sendero in 300WM though.

go with the 7mm STW, my buddys running the 168 vlds about 3100, that'll get you some elk and moose @ the longer ranges.

Here is a quick question, if I had a Remington 700 magnum action could I rebarrel it to a 300 Weatherby?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeremybj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a quick question, if I had a Remington 700 magnum action could I rebarrel it to a 300 Weatherby? </div></div>

If it is a long action and you have the right bolt face...or have it opened up to the right bolt face.

Yes, I would suggest a 30" Brux 9.7" twist with Berger 230 VLDs over VV N570 which should get you around 3100 fps and if it was built correctly, it WILL be accurate. Just my .02

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeremybj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would it be a magnum action or a long action? </div></div>

What do you define as a magnum action? People build 338 Lapuas on Rem700 long actions. 300WM, 7mmRM are shot from long actions. 300WSM, 300RSAUM can be shot from short actions. Typically the word "magnum" does not denote the action type. I have no experience with Weatherby's other than having shot one once, but I see no reason one could not be fit to a long action Rem700.

If you can, get your hands on both of these and put a box of ammo thru both of them. I know people that own both and they are both truly punishing to shoot unless you are planning on building a 20 pound rifle. You don't need a cannon to kill a moose or elk, the Swedes have been killing moose and elk since 1894 with the 6.5x55. You can do everything you need with a 284 Win out to the range you are discussing and your shoulder won't be sore. Good luck and good shooting.

I would also consider the 300 WSM. You get a tad less velocity than the WM but with a little more efficient case design. It's in a short action, and you still have the ammo availability.

I recently chopped up a 700 sps LA in 300 win mag for a lot of work but before I did I decided to mess around with it and with H-1000 and 208 A-max's that thing couldn't miss, I was hitting sideways steel targets at 100 which is less than 1/2 inch. I've heard good things about the 208 A-max and the Berger 210 VLD for hunting the type of game your talking about.

oh, and a good muzzle brake. That always helps.

What are you considering a 'long' shot? If you're wanting a lighter weight 'hunting' rifle, are we talking about the 8lb range? If so, you're looking at a 24-26" sporter barrel, in a modest magnum...I'd still vote the 300 Win mag. The 200gr Accubond is an excellent elk bullet. I suppose a 7mm with the 160's would be OK too. There are really 4 or 5 calibers in that range that would work as well as the next for that type rifle. When I hunt out west I take two rifles. One for 'HUNTING' with, and one for sitting at a good overlook position glassing a huge amount of real estate. In my mind there's nothing that does both of those things well. If you're going to be hunting mixed cover from timber to quakies where shots average 50-300 yards is one thing. If you want to hunt the breaks and see 600 yards and beyond and be able to shoot that far, that's another rifle entirely. If you go somewhere in between those two you'll be hurting yourself in both areas. Last year I used a lightweight 284 Win with 23" barrel set up with a 1.5-6 B&L scope for my 'hunting' gun, and I had a 30" barreled 300RUM for the areas I'd hike to early in the morning to glass some distant hillsides. I killed my mule deer on one of those mornings at 1180 yards with that rifle.

I would consider an ALL AROUND rifle for western big game a 24" barreled 7mm or 30 cal standard magnum rifle. You can strech them to 600 or a bit better if the rifle is up to it and it's still usable if you have to trail a big bull to his bed in mid-day. Don't go too big on optics though, I like the 3.5-10 or probably my favorite the 4.5-14 Leu with the B&C reticle. If you set it up properly with your load by adjusting the power, you can get them dead-on with your trajectory out to 500 yards or so.

Well, I think you guys are doing a good job of talking me into a 300 Win. What is going to deliver better knock down and accuracy, the 300 Win mag or the 300 WSM?

It's really a horse apiece. One thing the 300 Win mag has going for it is it will cycle a bit more smoothly on average. I have a 300 and 7mm WSM I use occasionally and although they work well, both needed a bit of tweaking in the feed rails to feed properly. The 7mm WSM is on a stiller action and the 300 WSM is on a Montana Rifleman action. My hunting load for the 300 WSM was the 168gr Barnes TTSX and I believe I was getting somewhere over 3000fps out of the 25" barrel. It did the trick on two bull elk, one at 70 yards, one at an even 600. The 600 yard shot did go through the shoulder blades so I did get expansion on it, but I don't think I'd send that bullet through ribs at that distance...too tough of bullet. I switched to the 200gr Accubond in my 300 RUM, and even at over 1100 yards it expanded very well when traveling through the ribcage of a 250lb mule deer.

I cannot speak for the 300 WBY, but I know my STW put my bull elk down dead in his tracks with one shot. He was running full tilt right at me. 1 140gr TTSX square in the chest stopped him dead in his tracks at 125 yds.

Although I love the STW, forget it unless you really like expensive components to reload.

My vote and what I have personally is the Rem 700 XCR Long Range in 300WM. If that is too heavey then I get out my Rem 700 Titanium in 7 Rem Mag. Both will kill an elk. I do have to say though that 300WM with a 200 Accubond on board flattens and elk like my 338 Lapua did.

Redirt, I wanted to rip my Ti chamber to a STW...but decided better after thinking about the recoil in a 6# rifle.