• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm WSM and Berger 184 Hybrid target bullets

Iron Worker

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2005
Nevada
I have 7wsm with a Brux 9" twist 26"bbl . I have N560 N565 Retumbo IMR 8133 Re#33 and Re#26 I want the best load for Berger 184 Hybrid target bullets . Any suggestions ? Purpose long range steel .

I don’t shoot a 7mm but I’d suggest you start with the RL26…it’s magic dust in about everything

Reactions: Iron Worker
RE#26 will be great except barrel life. You should add that the rifle is a win model 70 that was re-barreled from 270 wsm.

RE#26 will be great except barrel life. You should add that the rifle is a win model 70 that was re-barreled from 270 wsm.
Honest question…how many rounds of barrel life are you talking about between the 26 and others he has listed?

Honest question…how many rounds of barrel life are you talking about between the 26 and others he has listed?
Maybe a couple hundred, but in a rifle that likely wont make it much past 2k rounds that is a lot. If he dials back the velocity with RE26, then the difference will be marginal. But then why not use one of the other powders? RE26 is not the most temp stable on the list, so if you are not chasing the velocity then why use it? (assuming you do not have a crap ton of it vs the others)

Maybe a couple hundred, but in a rifle that likely wont make it much past 2k rounds that is a lot. If he dials back the velocity with RE26, then the difference will be marginal. But then why not use one of the other powders? RE26 is not the most temp stable on the list, so if you are not chasing the velocity then why use it? (assuming you do not have a crap ton of it vs the others)
It’s a 7mm magnum, it’s gonna die early.
1500-2000
Performance comes at a cost.
If you run R26 at reasonable pressures it’s surprisingly temp stable in my 7mm

Again I’ve not shot a 7mm but i have shot 26 and it’s pretty temp stable from what ive seen

Again I’ve not shot a 7mm but i have shot 26 and it’s pretty temp stable from what ive seen
Pretty and the most are two different things (Alliant lists it as controlled temp stability, which is actually a good description). It is probably the best choice listed for the combo in a short action, but it has downsides that the OP should be aware of. RE26 gives great velocity but is hard on barrels (velocity is never free).

I don't have a "Crap Load" of Re#26 or N565. So any experience with Retumbo or IMR 8133 . I probably have a 1,000 rounds through the tube,not to concerned about bbl life. With Re#26 69grs pushes a 162 gr Amax at 3200 .

I don't have a "Crap Load" of Re#26 or N565. So any experience with Retumbo or IMR 8133 . I probably have a 1,000 rounds through the tube,not to concerned about bbl life. With Re#26 69grs pushes a 162 gr Amax at 3200 .
I use 8133 in my long action 7wsm and 180 eldms. I have pushed velocity well north of 3000 from a 28" tube with no issues, but my current load is at 2900. I use 8133 in 3 different cartridges and it always been accurate for me, and copper fouling is non-existent.

Pushing the 7 wsm hard I don't think you will get much over 1000 to 1300 rds barrel life from what I read no experience seems like a great round just no brass is holding it back. Rl26 in my experience was great temp stable til about 80 to 85 and then lost it. I do believe I does cut life on barrel way more than other powders but performance there's always a price. I use a lot of imr 8133 actually only powder I have because of shortage. I get great accuracy and low sd but you will lose speed from what I've experienced.