• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm WSM. Opinions wanted

vman

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 23, 2009
Australia
www.google.com
Hi Guys

Thanks for reading. I need some opinions and have already looked around google but the information I have looked for isnt solid enough.

Im looking to build something new in the future and the 7mm WSM has taken my attention. I after something that will run Berger 180gr VLD and push them at a decent speed.

My reason for looking at a 7mmWSM is that I believe they can fit into an AICS short action, but I havnt confirmed this yet. I currently have a spare HS stock I can put my .308 into (leaving my with my AICS as a spare), in the hopes that I can get a custom action fitted to my AICS 1.5 SA in 7mmWSM. If anyone currently runs this setup please chime in as I would love to hear what you all think.

Before I decide to hand over some decent cash to a smith to get a custom build I would like to make sure I can make use of my AICS as it would really offer me some savings for a new build.

One more question for you all... The berger 180 VLD looks to be a rather large projectile and im certain that most off the shelf rifles in 7mmWSM have a throat that may potentially mean i eat up valuable case space by chosing such a massive projectile. Does anyone have any valuable advice regarding how a custom throat should be spec'd to enable smooth operation of long projectiles (168 and 180gr) or should I just leave it up to the smith to decide?

Re: 7mm WSM. Opinions wanted

I think your thoughts are correct. a 7mm wsm is a good cartridge but in a short action you will limit yourself. &WSM on a long action and you are talking about a good weapon. You would be able to seat the bullets out a little farther for more overall performance. Either way it is nice though. In a short action you may want to look at a different caliber though. Good luck

The 7 wsm does work better in longer actions. But it will do 2950 with the 180 Berger at a 2950 OAL in a short action. Magazines and actions need to be modified to make it work. Look at the 7 SAUM as it is a shorter case and the bullets don't eat up powder space.

Look for an action for WSM's to be coming soon! Not short, not long, Just right!

the 7WSM is my all time favorite caliber. I shoot it in my templar short action. Yes, I am limited to 2.96 in my AI mags, but I have to say.... its accuracy does not suffer. I have won 2 out of 4 benchrest competitions here in PA competing against 50+ decked out benchrest rifles.

180 bergers at 2900+ is a wicked round
IMG_0064-1.jpg

I think im going to do it! This is good news fellas thanks heaps!

If its of any use, im currently loading my .308 way out past what I can fit in AI mags, with the 155 Scenar. I single feed all of my rounds, unless they are short range hunting bullets.

Question...

Is it just the AICS .308 mags that you are using for the 7mmWSM/300WSM ? I loaded a 300WSM into my 5 round AI mag last night, and it fit in... it was pretty snug, but it went in and came out without too much effort.

Dpreston, thats a mean lookin stick~!

DSC_0357.jpg

A 7 WSM on a Badger Short Mag action by GAP. This is a hammer and is no problem getting 3000 out of the 180s

My 7wsm will not run 180's at 3000, nor 2950. It's a great round, but your mileage may vary from everyone else.

if i really push my 180's I can get 2950... my load has them right around 2910-2920...which is still a laser.

and yes the 308 AI mags work. I would recommend modifying them and taking the metal plate out in the front so you can seat your bullets a hair longer. I can't remember if the metal lips at the top needed to bend out or not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cheyenne19</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My 7wsm will not run 180's at 3000, nor 2950. It's a great round, but your mileage may vary from everyone else. </div></div>

What barrel do you run?
The 27"krigger I have has little problem reaching 3000 but the accuracy node is less.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jon Lester</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cheyenne19</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My 7wsm will not run 180's at 3000, nor 2950. It's a great round, but your mileage may vary from everyone else. </div></div>

What barrel do you run?
The 27"krigger I have has little problem reaching 3000 but the accuracy node is less. </div></div>
I can get over 3000 but dealing with the pressure problems that come with it has proven to be a hassle. I am loading 66.5gr of RL25 and getting 2950 avg and it's just right. Shoots great without causing me pressure issues. First pressure issue in my Defiance action seems to be hellacious bolt lift.

I load to 3.0 in Seekins mags.

GAP builds most of their 7's on a short action running AI mags. I think you'll be fine in a SA.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jedi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMHO 7saum is a better mouse trap

</div></div>What advantages do you see other than it's shorter and uses less powder? Just curious.

It's already here,the Borden Alpinemag,designed around the short mags!

I just order my Bighorn Arms short action from AJ. I am planning on putting it into a AICS short action stock as well. Going to try the 7mm saum. I currently have a GAP 7wsm in a Rem short action, shooting the Berger 180 vld's. LOVE IT! I have the 308 mags for it. Works great, just have to bend the lips out a little. Here it is one of my 7wsm videos,

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GcNn_BbtelY"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GcNn_BbtelY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Also, Frank (Lowlight) has the Big Horn Short Action in a AICS stock in this video.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xyzA6V2nevw&feature=related"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xyzA6V2nevw&feature=related" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Fantastic responses guys.

I think the 7wsm is deffinately going to be my next choice for a rifle build.

Skyking thanks for providing me with 11 minutes of sweet footage!

I'd also add that on the SA, just because you remove the front plate of your AI mag doesn't necessarily mean they will feed properly. With the 180's being seated longer, the feed ramp may also need to be milled for the tip of the bullet to feed through.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cigarcop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd also add that on the SA, just because you remove the front plate of your AI mag doesn't necessarily mean they will feed properly. With the 180's being seated longer, the feed ramp may also need to be milled for the tip of the bullet to feed through.</div></div>

Good point you make there. I think many people overlook this.

vman, I would be interested to see what you think after you finish your 7wsm build. I've been thinking about adding a 7wsm to my collection but have not yet because of concerns of short barrel life.

You're going to have shorter barrel life with just about any high performance cartridge. You have to pay if you want to play.

Finally chronoed my loads the other week with my new Rock barrel. I was hitting around 3025FPS with the Berger 182 XLRs out of a suppressed 24" Rock. That's pretty damn fast out of a SA! It has some pressure signs, but the bolt lift was pretty nornal. I might rework the load to slow it down some to save the barrel a little. The current load is 66.7gr of 4831SC at 2.960", for mag feeding.