• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

7mm wsm saum 284 winchester HELP!

bjay

Private
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2009
Aloha state HI
Ok more brain bettern than one.. ill start with "i cant make up my mind" ive been following cory (skyking here on forum) youtube chanel, him shooting 2k with his GAP 7mm wsm. So i decided to try that chalenge i got of hold of him ask some advice and info about this build hes very helpful and great straight up.i then did my order trough brunos wsm action along with 31" 1:8.75 krieger cory has the same twist but bartlein.im trying to clone his... NOW the more i read these 3 cal wsm saum and 284 win.(all this is about 7mm) im getting more question which making me think twice of finishing this project.brunos already emailed my tracking order (tnx amy) i put all my precision rifle in their own teritories i use my 223 along with my grendel inside 300yd my custom built 260 by randy at r&d and my 308 5r rem from 300 to 800 or maybe 1k.so basicaly im building a rifle that i can play from 800yd to... i guess 2k since its capable.but didnt want to spend too much on thoss big magnum like 338lm yari yaria.my smith told me that go with saum 7mm more efficient and more barrel life.my 308 is about to rebarrel and i heard a lot of good things about 284 win. They even compare it to 7wsm.what am i gaining choosing 7wsm from saum? What barrel life are we talking between the two? If i rebarel my 308 to 284 win will that put my on the same level as the 7 saum and wsm?
Which on those 3 sticks to their accuracy as they travel farther.all this for target punchin paper and steel.thats why i didnt stick to my original plan 300 norma mag.
I know theres a lot of inteligent pro shooter here that can give help and advice..tnx

Pls forgive my english its an immigrant second language.
TNX SH!

Wow, I think I interpreted that you are trying to decide between those cartridges???? The saum is fantastic, it and the WSM are so close in comparison I dont know that it matters which of the two. I believe the saum has an edge in barrel life, which is why I chose it. The .284 is just behind them, and a fine cartridge in its own right, the problem I think is that you are going to have a hard time reproducing skyking's performance at sea level no matter which one you choose.

Wow, I think I interpreted that you are trying to decide between those cartridges???? The saum is fantastic, it and the WSM are so close in comparison I dont know that it matters which of the two. I believe the saum has an edge in barrel life, which is why I chose it. The .284 is just behind them, and a fine cartridge in its own right, the problem I think is that you are going to have a hard time reproducing skyking's performance at sea level no matter which one you choose.
Yes im trying to decide lol.its good to know 284 win is ltle behind 2.that part im on the right track dont want get stock with 2 precision rifle on the same level or none has an edge from the other.what barrel life bet saum wsm? What on their accuracy, is the faster wsm better as they get farther? And what barrel lenght should i go on the 2

The WSM has a slight edge in velocity due to its slightly larger case, do yourself a favor and read the cartridge pages on 6mmbr.com about the three. I think that with 150-175 class bullets the saum is capable of the same speeds as the WSM, the WSM may again have the edge in the 180+ class bullets, but I dont worry about what I dont shoot. Barrel length will depend on your choice, if you are going for max speed/range, then the 28-30 inch barrels would best suit you. My 7 saum is a 24", and I have no problem getting 175-180's over 3000fps. But my altitude is much higher than yours, so 24" may not do well for you.

The WSM has a slight edge in velocity due to its slightly larger case, do yourself a favor and read the cartridge pages on 6mmbr.com about the three. I think that with 150-175 class bullets the saum is capable of the same speeds as the WSM, the WSM may again have the edge in the 180+ class bullets, but I dont worry about what I dont shoot. Barrel length will depend on your choice, if you are going for max speed/range, then the 28-30 inch barrels would best suit you. My 7 saum is a 24", and I have no problem getting 175-180's over 3000fps. But my altitude is much higher than yours, so 24" may not do well for you.
Tnx mate. I did read pretty much all those 3 @ 6mmbr and that is why i came here because all you hear there is all the good things about those round im searchin whats the downside specialy on reloading them.here in hawaii reloading component hard to come by.ill do 28" barrel.. il be shooting strictly 180 vld and that is why i choosed 1:8.75 barrel..can a 1:9 barrel handle 180vld too? How many difference on barrel life between the two?

Tnx mate. I did read pretty much all those 3 @ 6mmbr and that is why i came here because all you hear there is all the good things about those round im searchin whats the downside specialy on reloading them.here in hawaii reloading component hard to come by.ill do 28" barrel.. il be shooting strictly 180 vld and that is why i choosed 1:8.75 barrel..can a 1:9 barrel handle 180vld too? How many difference on barrel life between the two?

Reloading the two can be touchy, the WSM is the safer bet there, the saum brass is less plentiful and even on the mainland has been hard to find for some. I myself haven't had a problem. I have heard from reputable sources that the saum barrel life can be expected in the 2-3000 rnd range, the WSM as I understand has a lower life span. Of course these are very subjective to the style of shooting they are exposed to.

Personally.... anything after 1k(targets...600 game).....I go right to my 300wm.....I personally have never gone past 1200 on anything... I looked all all the short magnums....7 saum and 300 saum (or wsm) are so close your pretty much arguing a minor difference ballistically....what it always boils down to???? What components can you always get and the cheapest... just my two cents tho

Reloading the two can be touchy, the WSM is the safer bet there, the saum brass is less plentiful and even on the mainland has been hard to find for some. I myself haven't had a problem. I have heard from reputable sources that the saum barrel life can be expected in the 2-3000 rnd range, the WSM as I understand has a lower life span. Of course these are very subjective to the style of shooting they are exposed to.

3k max barrel on saum is great for me..on other blogs and even accuracy site claiming 7wsm only has 500 -900 barrel life. i dont know if thats true..which kinda made me worried..on the other hand skyking said his barrel is 2500 so far and moon at cresent custom has already 3k a (acording to skyking)nd both still shooting good...right now im leaning towards wsm. just because reloading equip is easier to find.altho i just done reading more article about 7 saum its still a toast..so basicaly wsm only ahead on speed but not accuracy? tnx again mate you pretty much answer mostly all my delima

Personally.... anything after 1k(targets...600 game).....I go right to my 300wm.....I personally have never gone past 1200 on anything... I looked all all the short magnums....7 saum and 300 saum (or wsm) are so close your pretty much arguing a minor difference ballistically....what it always boils down to???? What components can you always get and the cheapest... just my two cents tho
true! thats why i wanted 300 norma mag first BUT remington dont make bolt facce for this cal opening bolt face is another 400.00..its a budget build thats wny i choosed rem action instead of those higher end receiver like stiller surgeon etc..if i were too choose 7 saum only beause barrel life..unless someone can guarantee me saum is much accurate on a farther distance :) tnx for adviec mate

1:9 will handle the 180 VLD's just fine, thats what I run in mine which has a 1:9 Schneider barrel (7wsm)
64.5 of H1000 gives me 2950 with Berger 28405's. Those are an awsome bullet!

As I responded in one of your other post, the hardest part is finding brass at the present time.

Good luck with your build.

The fast 7's (saum,wsm,wm,ect.) smoke the 300's unless you stack 'em up with high end Berger's and such, and the recoil incurred with those heavy bullets and the charges it takes to push them is not even comparable to the 7mm's. Dont get me wrong, I love the 30 bore, its just that the seven's get it done with less bang and buck.

I like the 7SAUM case design, and like how it packages properly in a short actio, but the (non)availability of brass is a showstopper for me.

I like 284win. It is a well balanced, capable, moderate cartridge that is neither overbore or anaemic. However, it isn't an ELR cartridge. It serves as a good all purpose cartridge, but if someone's already got a solid 1000 yard gun and is looking for more, I don't think the 284 is the right choice.

For a SAAMI cartridge, I'd choose 7wsm but choose a long action, to eliminate any chances of strange neck tension issues associated with deep seated bullets.

If one was willing to "wildcat" a little, I'd recommend a 7-270wsm/7-300wsm for the longer neck and better brass.

This all applies to the short mags.

For ELR use though, I don't understand why someone would choose a short mag...the whole point of a short mag is to approximate the standard magnum ballistics in a short action. Short actions have advantages, but none really apply to ELR...here we are talking about using shortmag cases in long actions!

That said, why not a 7 Remington mag??? Super available components and a proven performer that will outrun all the cartridges we've been talking about.

I like the 7SAUM case design, and like how it packages properly in a short actio, but the (non)availability of brass is a showstopper for me.

I like 284win. It is a well balanced, capable, moderate cartridge that is neither overbore or anaemic. However, it isn't an ELR cartridge. It serves as a good all purpose cartridge, but if someone's already got a solid 1000 yard gun and is looking for more, I don't think the 284 is the right choice.

For a SAAMI cartridge, I'd choose 7wsm but choose a long action, to eliminate any chances of strange neck tension issues associated with deep seated bullets.

If one was willing to "wildcat" a little, I'd recommend a 7-270wsm/7-300wsm for the longer neck and better brass.

This all applies to the short mags.

For ELR use though, I don't understand why someone would choose a short mag...the whole point of a short mag is to approximate the standard magnum ballistics in a short action. Short actions have advantages, but none really apply to ELR...here we are talking about using shortmag cases in long actions!

That said, why not a 7 Remington mag??? Super available components and a proven performer that will outrun all the cartridges we've been talking about.

Litle too late on 7 rem mag. Brunos already shiped my wsm and barrel..im stock with wsm or saum in 7mm. This what happen when your rushing.. i can always turn around and sell it down the road if dont like what im going to see..tnx guys for helping out i guess ill go with wsm
Now i just need to figure best barrel length to keep my speed on 180 vld with about 65gr h1000 over barrel caused to much fowling.my overall lenth is 32 fot 31 finish i might cut it a litle shorter 28"?

For what it is worth, I love the idea of the 7wsm, saum, or .284. I don't think you can really go wrong with any of them. But what I wanted to suggest was that if you are rebarreling that .308, instead of looking at the .284 (because it is so similar to the performance of the WSM and SAUM) take a look at the 7mm-08. You get some extended range over the .308, better wind bucking ability, get great barrel life, and don't have to worry about having 2 rifles for pretty much the same purpose. Although, who can have too many rifles?
Just my .02
-Red

For what it is worth, I love the idea of the 7wsm, saum, or .284. I don't think you can really go wrong with any of them. But what I wanted to suggest was that if you are rebarreling that .308, instead of looking at the .284 (because it is so similar to the performance of the WSM and SAUM) take a look at the 7mm-08. You get some extended range over the .308, better wind bucking ability, get great barrel life, and don't have to worry about having 2 rifles for pretty much the same purpose. Although, who can have too many rifles?
Just my .02
-Red
i actualy thought the same thing.OR... rebarel it 284 win 1:9 twist and stick to 162 vld or amax little cheaper on 7mm.since my wsm with 1:8.75 moon will ream it to shoot strictly 180vld..by the way do you know what is barrel life 284 win compare to 7mm 08 i know 284 is hotter

I can't speak from experience, and turbo is really the guy to ask, but 7mm08 isn't as hot so it would stand to reason barrel life would be longer. To what extent, I have no idea. As far as just shooting a lighter grain bullet in a .284, I just think you could do the same thing with your 7wsm and throw them out hotter and flatter but still have the luxury of shooting the 180 vld's when you really want to reach out. In my opinion the 7mm08 gives you that perfect stepping stone between the grendel and the WSM without stomping of either of their toes. Like I said, this is all just my opinion and Turbo is really the guy to give you a more qualified answer.

I picked the .284 for my new LR rifle, because of other people that I shoot with getting better than 4000 rounds out of the barrels. I know everyone is so keen on what speed, but I go by what it is doing. I have a 27", 5R, 1-8 Krieger Light Varmint barrel and use 51.0 grains of RE17, 180 gr SMK, out of a single shot 40X. The second weekend that I shot it, last summer, as we haven't had any 1000 yard yet this year, the first day it was raining and I shot 200-8X @ 800, 198-8 @ 900 and 198-6X @ 1000 yards. The second day the wind was gusting so bad from 10 o'clock that we had 3 target frames pull out of the ground and 3 times at 1000 yards was 196-6X, 194-7X and 194-8X. There were 2 guys with the 7mm WSM and they were down quit a bit. Have not bothered to chronograph, because don't care how fast it is going, just how it works. Putting the come ups into Sierra's ballistic program, it should still be above Mach 1.3 at 1500 yards. I shot Lapua modified 6.5x284 brass, but the Winchester brass seems to hold it's own with it. Also I shot the 120+ rounds without cleaning until I was finished. If you want a repeater in the .284 you should build on a long action. Hope this give you some useful info.

Last edited:
I can't speak from experience, and turbo is really the guy to ask, but 7mm08 isn't as hot so it would stand to reason barrel life would be longer. To what extent, I have no idea. As far as just shooting a lighter grain bullet in a .284, I just think you could do the same thing with your 7wsm and throw them out hotter and flatter but still have the luxury of shooting the 180 vld's when you really want to reach out. In my opinion the 7mm08 gives you that perfect stepping stone between the grendel and the WSM without stomping of either of their toes. Like I said, this is all just my opinion and Turbo is really the guy to give you a more qualified answer.
Tnx mate.. you prolly missed the part about my custom rem 260:) my 260 realy well 1 3/8 500yd. So i dont know wut im gaining bet 260 and 7mm 08.you are right about i can always shoot lighter on wsm..true we have guys that much superior in the game and our brothers above post are very helpful including turbo

Thanks for the vote of confidence, man!

708 is a fabulous performer as a "one" rifle. It can push light varmint bullets to explosive speeds, medium weight bullets to take medium game, the excellent 162amax to 2750-2800 for outstanding ballistics to well beyond 1000 yards, or even make pretty good use of the 7mm uber-bullet, the 180 hybrid. You can expect the barrel to last ~4000+ rounds.

The extra ~10gr of powder the 284 uses takes a large toll on the throat. A realistic expectation is ~2500 rounds.

The 708 is almost miraculous in how decently it can handle the extreme range (1500+ yard) shots, because by all rights, it really doesn't seem that its got the horsepower for it. Still, these ranges can really make use of more speed and BC. The 284 is a true step up and connects more reliably at 1000+ than 708, but it still can't compare to the magnums. A .68bc bullet at 3000fps is just a helluva performer, no two ways about it.

I agree the 708 and 284 are very nice choices for many uses, but confidence at 2k yards requires the magnum.

[MENTION=49460]AK Sgt Maj[/MENTION]

That's some fine shooting!

It should be noted though, that in F class there are no muzzle brakes and it takes quite a man to properly drive a big magnum consistently for 120+ rounds in a weekend. A bigger man than I, for sure. The 284 strikes a great balance of ballistics and recoil within the weight and no-brake rules of that discipline.

I'd like to hear more about your friends' 4000+ round 284s. A few folks around here have needed to replace their barrels between 2000-2500, as they started getting the unexplained flier here and there.

I haven't personally finished a 284 barrel yet. My current pipe has ~1000-1100 through it. The throat has moved ~.015". I don't run high pressure, but don't take it real easy, either.

The other thing that happened with the .284 40X was that when I won the Alaska Mid-Range Regional with it I broke the Grand Senior (Old Peoples) Prone National Record, for the 300, 500 and 600 yards aggregate. The wind was blowing (like it usually does) and for the 2 days beat the F-Class High Master by 33 points. He was also using some kind of 7mm, but not sure what. Have not had anybody with any of the short 7mm Magnums beat my .284 yet.

Turbo- can a 7-08 with 162 Amax loaded at 2.80ish col make it to the 2750fps range or does it need to be loaded longer?

Turbo:
There are 3 guys using them, one for 3 or 4 years, and none have changed their barrels yet. One guy has a new Bat action coming and him and his gunsmith are stripping his trued up M700 and using the barrel and anything else that will work. He has been shooting his in F-Class for about 2 1/2 years. The 3 of them shoot together and say they have over 4000 rounds through them. They are the reason that I went with the .284, when I built my new rifle. I had been shooting out to 1000 with my across-the-course .308 40X for years, and it going above the trees between 900 and 1000 was a bummer. A friend scoring for me, with the .284, was amazed how flat the trace was.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, man!I agree the 708 and 284 are very nice choices for many uses, but confidence at 2k yards requires the magnum.
and thats is why im keping my 7wsm:) the 284 is for my 308 im planing to rebarel..but i already got a 260 to handle business 300 to 1k. my 7wsm proly take care the rest from 1k to whatever he can reach..i heard accuracy on 284 once you found node is hard to beat..we dont shoot everyweek here so i think ill be fine 2500 barrel life..how accurate 708 compare to 284?..and thanx again mate for sharing what we dont know

1:9 will handle the 180 VLD's just fine, thats what I run in mine which has a 1:9 Schneider barrel (7wsm)
64.5 of H1000 gives me 2950 with Berger 28405's. Those are an awsome bullet!

As I responded in one of your other post, the hardest part is finding brass at the present time.

Good luck with your build.
thanx again mate nice hearing from you again..what barrel length you think should i choose if im planing to shoot up to 2k?

All three have their own pros and cons. Brass quality favors the .284 with Lapua, followed by Norma 300WSM brass that requires fireforming to the 7WSM chamber and necking down..likely neck turning. SAUM has the weakest brass but makes life easy to shoot what little there is to choose from.

If you already ordered the WSM action then 284 is already off the list due to the bolt face differences.

If you already ordered the WSM action then 284 is already off the list due to the bolt face differences.

No sir like i stated above the 284 is going to rebarel my 308 the only reasoni included that cal just because a lot people saying that 284 is just as good as wsm or saum after a 1000 yard and like our brothers above said its litle behind the wsm n saum which im glad to hear.my intention is dont want to keep 2 precision rifle in diff caliber but does the same job.the wsm action is either saum or wsm and the rebareling is either 7 08 or 284 so none of it is out of the picture yet

All three have their own pros and cons. Brass quality favors the .284 with Lapua, followed by Norma 300WSM brass that requires fireforming to the 7WSM chamber and necking down..likely neck turning. SAUM has the weakest brass but makes life easy to shoot what little there is to choose from.

I know winchester 7wsm is what everybody been using.is 300 norma better brass when its fireformed to 7wsm? Is it worth fireforming it or should i just stick to the regular win brass 7wsm

Taking the same case capacity, a 7mm will always outperform a .30 in terms of ballistics (wind dodging). The 7WSM is about 200fps faster than the .284, it's not a minor difference (12gr of extra powder). In my 34" I got 3250fps shooting the 180's, the 30" is doing 3050-3100 with a little milder load of N165. The SAUM is very close to the WSM, maybe 30fps difference, just add an inch to the barrel and it is the same.

If you want to go beyond 1000y and are considering a 7mm, just go full throtle with the WSM/SAUM and not half-ass it. The 7SAUM will actually feed in a short action and Alpha has some nice WSM mags (2.965" oal). The 284 will be single-shot and not from a mag unless you have a long-action and 300WM mags.

Taking the same case capacity, a 7mm will always outperform a .30 in terms of ballistics (wind dodging). The 7WSM is about 200fps faster than the .284, it's not a minor difference (12gr of extra powder). In my 34" I got 3250fps shooting the 180's, the 30" is doing 3050-3100 with a little milder load of N165. The SAUM is very close to the WSM, maybe 30fps difference, just add an inch to the barrel and it is the same.

If you want to go beyond 1000y and are considering a 7mm, just go full throtle with the WSM/SAUM and not half-ass it. The 7SAUM will actually feed in a short action and Alpha has some nice WSM mags (2.965" oal). The 284 will be single-shot and not from a mag unless you have a long-action and 300WM mags.
First... ty .. i have wsm rem action and 31" (im guessing its 32 overall) krieger 1:8.75 barrel coming with it.when you say full trottle what do you mean by that? And the 284 win im thinkin about midifying my ramp on my SA rem to feed accu mag 3.050 inside clearance.how long is an ideal 284 win length? Is 3.00 too short ?

My plan was cutting down barrel to 28" on wsm so your telling me if choose saum and keep it 31 barrel it will be the same on 28" w? Plus barre life of course

I just finished prepping 300 rnds of Winchester 7mm wsm brass. My rejects were around 12%.

Don’t take the comments on the brass lightly, it is junk.

...and right now it it probably just as hard to find as anything else.

I just finished prepping 300 rnds of Winchester 7mm wsm brass. My rejects were around 12%.

Don’t take the comments on the brass lightly, it is junk.

...and right now it it probably just as hard to find as anything else.

Thats why i always straight to lapua not only its proven but i also hate prepping.funny this not the 1000 ive heard about winchester 7wsm brass i guess fireforming300wsm is worthed after al.ty sir

No sir like i stated above the 284 is going to rebarel my 308 the only reasoni included that cal just because a lot people saying that 284 is just as good as wsm or saum after a 1000 yard and like our brothers above said its litle behind the wsm n saum which im glad to hear.my intention is dont want to keep 2 precision rifle in diff caliber but does the same job.the wsm action is either saum or wsm and the rebareling is either 7 08 or 284 so none of it is out of the picture yet

Don't put a 284 in a true short action it needs a medium or long action to perform well with the heavier bullets.

Don't put a 284 in a true short action it needs a medium or long action to perform well with the heavier bullets.

My short action 284 achieves 2825fps with the 175smk.

However, I wouldn't advocate building a SA 284 unless you have a very specific purpose in mind. It can be done, but it does have it's pitfalls.

I wouldn't advocate building a SA 284 unless you have a very specific purpose in mind. It can be done, but it does have it's pitfalls.

Tnx turbo youve been very helpful.. i do believe any of 7mm will outperform the 308 should i rebarel to 7mm 08 instead or just stick to 308 cal ..its for target im not gonna use it for hunting

Barrel life on my 7RM under match type shooting conditions (lots of rounds in short periods = lots-o-heat) was about 1100. A couple of guys I shoot with see about the same with their WSM's. The .284 shooters I know are getting 2500ish. My .284 is at 850+ right now and shooting better than I can although I have not measured to check for throat erosion. 2500+ on a WSM/SAUM and 4000+ on a .284 seems overly optimistic unless shooting one round, letting it cool, then one round, and so on.

I am surprised you can shoot that far in HI. Do you put a target on one side of the island and shoot from the other;)

Barrel life on my 7RM under match type shooting conditions (lots of rounds in short periods = lots-o-heat) was about 1100. A couple of guys I shoot with see about the same with their WSM's. The .284 shooters I know are getting 2500ish. My .284 is at 850+ right now and shooting better than I can although I have not measured to check for throat erosion. 2500+ on a WSM/SAUM and 4000+ on a .284 seems overly optimistic unless shooting one round, letting it cool, then one round, and so on.

I am surprised you can shoot that far in HI. Do you put a target on one side of the island and shoot from the other;)
Haha no sir my target is located on neighbor island.. i have a friend that is maried to a family from what ive heard never bothered asking him, owns almost 1/3 of the island.island is 56 miles across hes place can stretch 2400yd..so we shoot on a private area.
By the way have u seen this?
http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...-rifles/133819-my-new-elr-rifle-7mm-saum.html
Question for if this saum pushinh about 3000fps then why is wsm pushing the same speed has only up to 2500 barrel and saum 3-4000 barrel life

The 284 is a long case, you would have to stick the bullet in so far that you loose too much case capacity if feeding from a magazine and might as well go 7-08. If you are doing single-shot then it is of no concern.

What I meant with 7WSM vs 7SAUM is the saum is only a little slower. 1" of extra barrel is about the same speed difference, give or take.

And full throttle... if you want better ballistics then go WSM/SAUM and not .284. The speed difference is substantial. Downside is a bit more barrel wear. No such thing as a free lunch etc.

PS: Lapua does not make any of the WSM cases, Norma does. Besides culling a few wincehster cases, it is good brass after sorting and prepping. I've been shooting it in F-Class for years. I don't see Norma shooters doing any worse/better. Just prep the brass and you will indeed cull a few extra. But at 1/2 the price, that is still cheaper and easier to get. Also depends on what you will be shooting and at what level. Shooting steel in a local tactical match or shooting Xs in F-Class nationals.

Not being argumentative, but you lose a higher pecentage of case volume due to loading at mag length in a 7mm-08 than you do in a straight .284. The .284 is about 1/8" longer, but the shoulder is both more than 1/8" further forward vs. the 7mm-08 and the shoulder angle is steeper. These both aid in not losing as much capacity due to the bullet beaing seated deep into the case....Plus the .284 body is bigger, being a rebated rim cartridge and has less case taper. What all of this boils down to is that if you want to build a standard bolt face short action, and the choices are 7mm-08 or .284, you have more case capacity with the .284. Lapua brass is available for both by necking 6.5-284 brass up or .308/.260 brass down/up, depending which you choose. I prefer to neck down if the bullet will be below the neck/shoulder junction and use a type s full bushing die adjusted to not size all the way down the neck, to keep from having issues with the doughnut. This working best is dependent on neck diameter and the diameter of the loaded round. Neck turning can also be done to get the clearance needed as well as uniforming the necks.
If speed is what you want from a short action 7mm, the WSM would be my choice, with a 7mm/300wsm being a close second because of the very slight difference in capacity and the lack of fireforming. FWIW.--Mike

The 284 is a long case, you would have to stick the bullet in so far that you loose too much case capacity if feeding from a magazine and might as well go 7-08. If you are doing single-shot then it is of no concern.

What I meant with 7WSM vs 7SAUM is the saum is only a little slower. 1" of extra barrel is about the same speed difference, give or take.

And full throttle... if you want better ballistics then go WSM/SAUM and not .284. The speed difference is substantial. Downside is a bit more barrel wear. No such thing as a free lunch etc.

PS: Lapua does not make any of the WSM cases, Norma does. Besides culling a few wincehster cases, it is good brass after sorting and prepping. I've been shooting it in F-Class for years. I don't see Norma shooters doing any worse/better. Just prep the brass and you will indeed cull a few extra. But at 1/2 the price, that is still cheaper and easier to get. Also depends on what you will be shooting and at what level. Shooting steel in a local tactical match or shooting Xs in F-Class nationals.

Ty dasher. . And that is why i choosed 31" barrel incase i want to keep up with my buddy 26" wsm on speed i can leave it 31 on saum.. this build strictly plate after 1000yd. Should i take advantage on barrel length and stick to 31" saum or 27"wsm

My short action 284 achieves 2825fps with the 175smk.

However, I wouldn't advocate building a SA 284 unless you have a very specific purpose in mind. It can be done, but it does have it's pitfalls.

Isn't your 284 built off a FN action? Those are more like a mid length action. What is your COAL?

Utnx nortex.. i guess im leaving 308 for now :)...what would be downside using my SA for 284 win?

Only a few minor issues. One is to run the higher bc bullets you really need to stick to a 2.90" coal any shorter and you might have some seating issues.

Isn't your 284 built off a FN action? Those are more like a mid length action. What is your COAL?

Yep. 2.950" COAL, mag limited. Action could handle ~3.050" if bottom metal/magazine solution existed.