• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

7mm wsm?

M.D.K.

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2009
Pinedale WY
Im looking at doing a rebarrel on my remington 700 long action and i talked to benchrest barrels today about prices and i think im about ready to commit, to a 7mm RUM, but i keep seeing all these builds in 7mm wsm and i just got to know what the hipe is about that round?? Is there a plus to going with the wsm over the standard 7mm or the 7mm RUM? any information would be great.

thanks again

Re: 7mm wsm?

The advantage is, you burn less powder and still drive the 180 Bergers over 3K fps. You deal with a non belted case (some people dont like belted cases for various reasons I wont list) and you can use normal large rifle primers as well as LR Mag primers, your choice.

Did I mention you use less powder? = saving money.

I would look at recoil, magazine feeding, length of action and barrel life.
Who knows what will happen to a VLD if you shoot game with it at RUM speeds either.
If only shooting to 1k, is the extra needed? You can achieve 1000ftlbs of energy at 1k with a 180 in a WSM. Unless you plan to do a lot of shooting over 1k it could be a little much IMO. If shooting over 1k all the time I would look at other options(338-375)But a WSM with a 180 will most likely do fine at 1500.
I think if RUM is truly needed, you have to be considering the .338's
Good luck, it's just my take on things.

FWIW mine won't drive the 180's over 3000. I'm only running 162's at 3050. Something to consider if you're hung up on velocity. Otherwise it's a heck if a cartridge.

I drive my Berger 180s to 2,940 out of a 26" barrel, but encountered pressure issues above 2,975 ---in Vegas it might be the summer heat,as i want to shoot the same load year round.

I'll add one more thing when comparing the 7WSM to the 7 RUM, BArrel life favors teh WSM by a large margin. You'll get somewhere in the vicinity of 1,800-2,000 rounds for your barrel for teh 7WSM and a ton less than that for your 7RUM on barrel life. I only got 1,680 in my first Kreiger, but when you shoot it a lot and shoot it VERY FAST, it easts the throat. I shot mine in F-Class competition and would put 25 rounds through it in less than 18 minutes let is sit an hour or so then repeat 25 rounds in less than 18 minutes then do it a third time in the same day. do that a while and you consume the throat pretty quickly. even so, i was impressed to get 1,680 out of it before it died an ugly death in the middle of a competition relay...

JeffVN

Thanks for the info, now if I was to go with the wsm, what would have to be done to make it compatible with my long action. I know some people prefer to use a long action, but I have always wondered about feeding from a detach mag.?? I want to run a mag that doesn't hang out the bottom much, like a hs mag.

Barrel life is a lot better with the 7WSM. Great ballistics and has everything you need to take most big game in North America. The RUM would be a little over kill if you ask me. The RUM also uses extra powder and has low barrel life so is it worth it, not to this guy. The thing I like about the RUM is that you have plenty of options for factory Remington action rifles. You will be looking at browning or Winchester for a production 7WSM rifle. I like Remington based actions and I wish Remington made 7WSM production rifles. There may be production 7WSM's on a Remington action out there I just don't know of to many...if any.

.300 WSM doesn't have anywhere near the ballistic performance of 7mm WSM.

I think hat Bacarrat was trying to say is, you could get a Remmy in 300WSM and rebarrel it with ease to 7WSM.

USMCj is right.

And I wouldn't say the 300 WSM doesn't have anywhere near the ballistic performance of the 7WSM. With the 208gr AMAXs, it's nothing to laugh at.

wow, thanks for all the info guys, im going to do some more research on bottom metal, but just to throw this out there, what are my options as far as detachable mags, that mount up pretty close to flush with the stock?? i know about hs and kwik clips,but does it matter that the round is a WSM? could i get away with running a remington factory mag set up on a wsm? also what twist would you recommened on a 24-26 in 7mm wsm if it was a hunting gun with the goal being long range?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">USMCj is right.

And I wouldn't say the 300 WSM doesn't have anywhere near the ballistic performance of the 7WSM. With the 208gr AMAXs, it's nothing to laugh at. </div></div>

how fast can you get the 208's to out of a 300 wsm? they may not be anything to laugh at but i think the 7 wsm with 180 vld's at 2950+ fps has the advantage by quite a bit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">USMCj is right.

And I wouldn't say the 300 WSM doesn't have anywhere near the ballistic performance of the 7WSM. With the 208gr AMAXs, it's nothing to laugh at. </div></div>

how fast can you get the 208's to out of a 300 wsm? they may not be anything to laugh at but i think the 7 wsm with 180 vld's at 2950+ fps has the advantage by quite a bit. </div></div>

+1, not to mention with 180 JLK VLD's at 2950-3050fps!

208's will run 2850-2900 from a 22" barreled 300 WSM depending on how long you want the brass to last.

The other thing you can do is rent a reamer for 7 WSM or 7/300 WSM (brass is easier to get in 300 or 270 and then neck up/down to 7mm) and reamer out a 7 SAUM Model 7 rifle.

As bad as it sounds, you can actually rent a reamer and do it with nothing more than a socket, rathet and a big bottle of cutting oil. It will be better to go get it built properly, but putting clover leaf groups from the method above was done. I know someone who did exactly that.

Personally, I was going to do this (although I was planning to rebarrel it and blueprint the action) until I looked into the barrel lives between 7 SAUM and 7 WSM and the accuracy benefits to the longer neck in the SAUM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bacarrat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">USMCj is right.

how fast can you get the 208's to out of a 300 wsm? they may not be anything to laugh at but i think the 7 wsm with 180 vld's at 2950+ fps has the advantage by quite a bit. </div></div>

You should be able to push them close to the same speed as the 7WSM, but the 180s do have a slight advantage, about 2-2.5 MOA drop and .5 MOA wind at 1k. A greater disparity would come into play when you match up the 162gr vs the 208s. IMO, that is the best bullet for the 7WSM... if you can get them to shoot. I wished mine would shoot them well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DebosDave</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think he was saying that it would outperform the 7WSM, just saying it is a good round and combination
</div></div>

I wasn't making a subjective statement about the performance of 300 WSM. I was making a statement of objective fact that it doesn't have the performance of 7WSM.

Apparently the goal was just to get a Remington 700 action with a WSM boltface, of which I'm sure that would be great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the WSM will feed fine from a LA mag, but I would stay away from HS. The Kwik Klip kit might just work for you, it has 3.3" of internal OAL which is more than you will need for the WSM. And its cheap!

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0024317226539a.shtml </div></div>

If you are going to go with an AICS set up, it is my understanding that you will need to use the .338 magazines, not the 300wm--or you will need to modify the 300wm ones