• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 7mm08 AI Light Hunter

LRI

Lance Criminal
Minuteman
  • Mar 14, 2010
    Sturgis, S. Dakota
    www.longriflesinc.com
    Here's a recent one:

Jim Borden action
    Brux Fluted #3 chambered in 7mm-08 AI
    McMillan Edge Rem Hunter stock
    ADL style box to keep the weight down
    Graphite black C-kote
    Our inhouse "bullfrog" olive/black paint

Enjoy!

C.

Barreled action being fitted together. Time them flutes!

DSC_0047.jpg

DSC_0046.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

Engraving the barrel:

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0028.jpg

We begin the stock work with a little puter work to model the receiver:

DSC_0022-1.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_00272.jpg

DSC_0005-1.jpg

Re: 7mm08 AI Light Hunter

Quick question, how strong is the filler material you use, and why not bed it in a stock that is already inletted?

Not questioning your capabilities or judgement, just curious.

Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beef_Supreme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">7mm-08 AI or .280 AI? Did you rechamber it?</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's 7mm-08 AI.

280AI requires a long action.

C.</div></div>

glad I wasn't the only one thinking he put 280 Ackley Improved on the 7mm-08AI barrel
    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    DSC_0028.jpg

</div></div>

Yeah JCH- Was wondering if it was two different ones or what the deal is? Because the mill clearly engraved 280 ACKLEY IMPROVED on that barrel.......... because I DO understand the difference in action length.
    It's even sharpied in the photo above LOL.

I was also wondering the same thing bout the barrels... Either way, they still look excellent Chad!!

That is the perfect rifle IMHO - its the exact blueprint for a new rifle I'd like to build - well done!!! Or, maybe you could just send me that one:)

Chad -

After our discussion last week, this build really strikes a cord. If I may ask -

What is the finished barrel length?
    What does this setup weigh?

Bryce

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Toebuster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Quick question, how strong is the filler material you use, and why not bed it in a stock that is already inletted?

Not questioning your capabilities or judgement, just curious.

Thanks. </div></div>

Our filler material has been tested to 338 Lapua Magnum. So far it has yet to produce a failure. Every bit as strong as what the major manufacturer's are using and I'll go on a limb to say its actually a little better in some regards because we get pretty particular in the application. As a result the porosity issue is almost non existent compared to others.

Why an uninletted blank? In every build I go to great lengths to photograph the final outcome of the bedding work. I obsess over it actually. Look at what any other builder does and decide for yourself if there is a difference. Look closely at the film thickness, the machined lines, the fit at the tang, the ejection port, etc.

I don't blast through a stock with a 1-1/4" ball endmill and call it an inlet. I map each receiver and barrel contour individually and use it to drive a fully surfaced model of the footprint it'll eventually occupy. Then I inflate it by .05" so that I know exactly how thick my bedding is going to be. <span style="font-weight: bold"> Nobody else in this industry does this.</span> We are the first. The intent is have a uniform thickness at every contact point. The reasoning is pretty simple. Mix up some of your favorite epoxy and spread it out paper thin and allow it to cure. Now beat on it with light taps and see how long it takes for it to loose its adhesion to the substrate. Now spread a layer slightly thicker and do the same. Which lasts longer? The thicker stuff. Go too far however and shrinkage becomes an issue since its a percentage based on the volume of material used. ALL resins have some degree of shrinkage. The good ones are less than a percent, but its still there.

I went down this path because I couldn't buy an off the shelf stock that fitted up the way I wanted. Some may call it BS, unnecessary, and foolish. That's fine. They can get work done at any number of other shops. There's a long list of folks fully qualified to build a rifle to their desires.

We also have our clientele that identifies with what were doing and believes in it. Just a different way to peel the skin off a cat.

Is it more expensive? Yes and no. If you as the consumer buy a fully inletted McMillan/Manners stock your going to pay somewhere between $600 and $850 bucks. Then I'm going to fill it back up, reinlet, bed, finish, and soak you for about the same amount.

IF however you contact us first or do the research and buy an uninle1tted blank you'll find that the 600-850 dollar stock is now between $299 and $600 bucks. We charge what we charge and your total out of pocket expense is right next to what you'd of paid for your inletted blank and pillar bedding offered by any other marquee gun plumber. The difference/justification is hopefully self explanatory with how the bedding/inletting presentation comes out on our finished work.

Last. I don't use Marine Tex. In fact I hate the stuff and consider it crap. I use a resin system designed for commercial boiler repair. The compressive/tensile strength, shear strength, shore hardness, and chemical tolerance far exceeds that of Marine Tex. <span style="font-weight: bold"> We</span> offer an unconditional lifetime warranty on our stock bedding. Were one of very, very few that offer this. To date, none have ever been returned in over 9 years.

Pretty good track record so far I think.

Hope this helps.

C.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    I use a resin system designed for commercial boiler repair.</div></div>

we're getting closer to beating the answer out of you
    grin.gif

that's a good looking little hunter chad!

Yeah, I noticed on most, if not all your previous build threads, that you always use the fill and then inlet the stock yourself before bedding. And yes, the fit and finish, as well as the bedding is always top notch.

Thank you for the detailed explanation on it. I'll be looking for you for my next build.

Have a Happy New Year.

I'm not so sure I would have told everyone all of that information but I always thought your inlet and bed jobs were almost insanely perfect looking. I like it.

That's why i say your secant to none Chad grate work

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redirt78</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not so sure I would have told everyone all of that information but I always thought your inlet and bed jobs were almost insanely perfect looking. I like it. </div></div>

It's nothing that isn't plainly stated on our website under the process section.

The truth is I'm a spoiled brat in this place. I have tools, software, and the experience with it that other shops don't have. The cost alone doesn't make it likely competitors are going to be racing down to the Haas dealership to place the order.

Just buying the machine is a ridiculous expense. Then you have to get it shipped to you, riggers come in to drop it, and have it wired properly. Then tool it up, not be terrified to turn it on, and begin cutting simple chit like circles and boxes or bolt patterns.

Now dump another $50K in software and teach yourself how to use it as well.

12 years ago thats exactly where I was. Devotion/dedication to this process put us where we are today. Where will we be in another 12 years? 12 years AHEAD of anyone else who decides to place an order with Haas after reading this.

Nevermind the fixturing, setup procedure, and programming that needs to take place for every action, barrel, trigger, recoil lug, and floormetal combination out there.

I'm not running a school, but at the same time a customer has every right to know where his/her money is going and what the expected outcome will be.

We still have our secrets that we keep under lock and key. Truth is NONE of what were doing even holds a candle to things like guys who setup/program 5axis rotary head mills used to produce impeller blades or turbines for jet engines. Take a look at a catheter extrusion die once used to make medical piss tubes that go up your junk. I used to make those too. Kinky little parts.

Thanks for the kind remarks guys.

Chad

He looks to be building two different rifles!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

grin.gif

that's a good looking little hunter chad! </div></div>

http://www.wencon.com I don't know if this is what he is using. This stuff is some tough durable shit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MAGUA</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: C. Dixon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

grin.gif

that's a good looking little hunter chad! </div></div>

http://www.wencon.com I don't know if this is what he is using. This stuff is some tough durable shit. </div></div>

NOPE.

We'll never divulge this so you guys might as well quit asking. Secret Sauce only gets called that by staying secret.
    smile.gif

NOPE.

We'll never divulge this so you guys might as well quit asking. Secret Sauce only gets called that by staying secret.
    smile.gif
    </div></div>

call it a secret but we all know it's just thousand island dressing.
    grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mnshortdraw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We all know it's Unicorn bone paste. </div></div>

Mixed with Chuck Norris tears.

Chuck Norris likes his steak so rare, he only eats unicorn meat.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BMerrick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    <span style="font-weight: bold">What is the finished barrel length?
    What does this setup weigh?</span>
    </div></div>

I would also like to know this.

The green and black 7mm-08AI pictured above is right at 8 lbs with NF 2.5-10 mounted on it and Chad was was correct in the specs in the beginning of the thread with 22 inch #3 fluted tube on a Borden action. Great little hunter and shoots lights out. Chad has built some spectacular rifles for me lately and I would not even consider having anyone else build a rifle for me other than him. Bedding, fit and finish are impeccable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peters</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The green and black 7mm-08AI pictured above is right at 8 lbs with NF 2.5-10 mounted on it and Chad was was correct in the specs in the beginning of the thread with 22 inch #3 fluted tube on a Borden action. Great little hunter and shoots lights out. Chad has built some spectacular rifles for me lately and I would not even consider having anyone else build a rifle for me other than him. Bedding, fit and finish are impeccable. </div></div>

Where does it balance? Good looking rig.

Somehow guys I goofed and had mixmatched photos/info in this album. As a result there's pics in here that don't belong.

Dern it!

Shawn is correct. The rifle has a 22" barrel and tips the scales at 8lbs on the dot.

I'll do my best here out to ensure the pics are accurate to the build were working on.

This gun went out back in November. I didn't post it up then because it was a first article that we wanted to test out before offering it to the masses.

If anyone is interested in this gun, you need to contact Shawn or Cory Peters, owners of Ivory Horn Outfitters in Montana. We've been working hard to put this whole package together. Shawn and Cory are about as rock solid as they come. The property they have access to is pristine for huntin n killin things that need killin. Lots of tasty critters running around their neck of the woods.

Can't say enough good things about either of them. It's money well spent for those wanting a once in a lifetime experience.

C.