• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

7mmRM. Bullets? Powders? Factory Remy.

oregon

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2011
Portland, Oregon
www.designavs.com
My bet is someone here has the answer to this... would like a target load and an elk load. Would be awesome if the same.

Put links to all the bullet manufacturer websites below. Also have links to the recent 7mmRM reload threads on SH.

Working up a 7mm hunting load for thick-skinned elk and mule deer. Also load for long range targets. In an old blued Remington 700 ADL with the the factory original barrel (probably 1960s or 1970s and do not know how to know for sure). The stock has been changed, was wood.

Questions:
1) What is the factory Remy ‘skinny’ barrel twist and length? My guess is 24” and 1 in 10 – do not know for sure.

2) Hunting Bullet recommendation - the best BC wind resisting long range 7mmRM hunting bullet for elk & deer. Is it a Berger Match Hunting VLD, Match Target VLD, or something else?

3) Powder recommendation, is the standard 7mmRM ADL factory barrel too short to go Retumbo, or should I start with something a bit faster burning such as H1000? R22?

Bullets:
Barnes, Nosler, Hornady, Berger, Sierra, …

Powders:
R22, R25, H1000, Retumbo, H4831SC, IMR4350, …

In a perfect world, would like to use the same load on targets – like the idea of maximum practice with my hunting load. While realize to target shoot with a hunting load may not be possible due to price or accuracy issues. Would like a load to practice shots to 1000m and hope well beyond (out to 1600m on targets). Open to all ideas. Some say match-type bullets are not good for hunting, while know it is done and they kill when placed right. Is there a match-bullet-like BC hunting bullet or do they not exist? Is there a match-bullet constructed to allow the energy transfer performance of a hunting bullet on elk?

Know is their marketing hype, but the Berger Bullets video with elk dropping at distance sucked me in at:

http://www.bergerbullets.com/

Berger has a match bullet with much better BC than their hunting bullet, just like everyone else. Some say Retumbo powered Berger 168g VLDs for hunting, while those guys have longer custom barrels in other threads like for example at:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=219969&Number=2495855

Other 7mmRM loads are shared at:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=220604&Number=2492034

Then not sure which Berger they are shooting in the above as there are two, Match Hunting VLD and Match Target VLD. As both are called VLD not sure which Berger VLD people are talking about sometimes and usually assume here they are talking about the Match Target VLD.

Have successfully used Barnes TSX BT in another rifle, a 3006. While it seems the heavy Barnes bullets for a 7mmRM don’t appear to be boat tail bigger than 150g for the 7mmRM. Like a boat tail as their less drag is better for long range. The Berger video on their main website makes Barnes not look like it compares BC-wise – curious if that shows Barnes hunting bullet to Compared to Berger hunting bullet. Or if it is Barnes hunting bullet compared to Berger match projectiles. The Barnes website is:

http://www.barnesbullets.com/products/rifle/

Notice Hornady has a new coated match bullet with a lead core that looks interesting for targets at:

http://www.hornady.com/store/7mm-.284-162-GR-BTHP-Match/

While Hornady website clearly says they are not intended for large game. Not sure how it the 162g BTHP compares to the 162g A-MAX for targets. Hornady does have some hunting bullets for the 7mm while not sure which one would be best:

http://www.hornady.com/store/.284-7mm/?page=2

The Sierra 180s look good for targets as well. And the Sierra line up of 7mm projectiles is at:

http://www.sierrabullets.com/index.cfm?section=bullets&page=rifle&caliberID=8

Nosler Partition bullets have traditionally been good for hunting and they have been around forever, while know little about their current products. Their website is:

http://www.nosler.com/

Most of the conversation on this website is focused on target shooting not hunting thick skinned elk. To make a good 7mmRM elk hunting load am open to any suggestions on where to start. Feeling confused and overloaded with information. Seek direction. Have access to an extensive library of books and will work up one step at a time. Simply ask for you to share proven 7mmRM hunting reload ideas for an older factory 700 Remington ADL. Someone knows this.

If asking too much of one reload please focus on a good elk hunting round and a separate good target reload. Expect may need to work up two kind of loads as probably one will not be able to do both jobs accurately and affordable. If have two, would expect to shoot way more 'target' ammo than 'hunting' ammo.

Re: 7mmRM. Bullets? Powders? Factory Remy.

I am desiring the same and have been playing with the Berger 168 VLD hunting projos for 7mm RM. It has the same BC as the target VLD and is supposed to be devastating on game. All the energy is dumped in the animal.

My rifle is an SPS DM 26" 1:9.25. If you look on Remington's site it will show the twist for your rifle.

My "hunting" load was a 160 grain Sierra Game King, H4831 (could use SC as well), and Fed 215. Cannot recall powder load but, it was very accurate for a hunting load (around .75 moa), reasonably fast, and a breeze to load. All from a stock 700 BDL.

Hunting load start to 'try' possibly found to see if my gun likes or hates. So will start a test with Berger Hunting VLDs over Retumbo. Unless anyone has better ideas and all are welcome still! Thanks people. Dang this place works fast. Accurate ammo suggestions for target or for hunting are still welcome here.

ozzy, you are ahead of me. Checked out your other thread and thank you for the update with Retumbo powder testing recently. Great job. Also appreciate your input here.

7mmRM, thank you for confirming. With a name like that here am sure you know.

RobG, all suggestions are welcome! Had already written this post when went to post noticed yours so quickly added this to thank you for your suggestion.

Still curious, does anyone know length and twist of an old blued ADL factory barrel off hand? Is my guess of 1 in 10 and 24" correct? Not that it really matters, just curious. Learned a site for Remington research is www.remingtonsociety.com combined with a check for date codes on the barrel.

Here on SH there is a post about date codes to know year when a Remington 700 was made is at:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1587074

Not sure yet if I will be able to answer my own length / twist question with date codes and remingtonsociety.com while is the direction am headed.

And you guys with a favorite accurate hunting loads as well as inexpensive to shoot at targets as well, please sound off! Still open to having multiple loads for this ADL factory toy when not a tool. At the range shooting a few shots then letting cool - in between other guns not so prone to melt down when shot lots.

Like to practice with a gun I plan to hunt with as often as possible and seek an inexpensive accurate target load also if there is such a thing. Have been using Federal factory Power Shok ammo as seems to like it so far and not sure what that is made from but this gun likes it out to 300m not sure about further yet for $25 per box of 20 or so - work close up fine and to go far probably need to spend more cash. Want an inexpensive to shoot fun load also. I shoot federals for fun and reload the brass.

Feel hunting Bergers over Retumbo will probably work for me while see are kinda expensive bullets - and OK with it for hunting. Do not shoot hunting bullets much and to shoot far often have to pay a premium.

What about the other times when want to be a tight wad and shoot? Say if want to shoot 100yd, 200yd, 300yd, touching with a reload something better than the Federal Box Ammo. Realize accurate and inexpensive usually don't go together.

Please share your favorite 7mmRM accuracy load, hunting reload, or maybe your favorite inexpensive target ammo solution.

I am 180 gr VLD hunting, Re22 at 2 gr less than the threshold of short brass life, 3025 fps average.

My accuracy at 100y is great, but not so good at 500y.
There is always a little wind following me around.

With 3 out of 4 replies am getting loud and clear you guys like Berger hunting VLDs. Now feeling this ADl should be focused on its hunting gun application with one of the VLD bullets. 168g or 180g with some kind of powder below.

Can try Hunting VLD 168g Retumbo (lighter bullet slower burn powder) vs Hunting VLD 180g Re22/H1000 (heavier bullet same kind faster burn powders) in my gun. Not sure what to start with Re22 or H1000 for this experiment for a 'faster' burning powder. Will start with one or the other. Starting to think forget anything else and just will shoot these combinations for a while (Hunting VLD 168g above Retumbo or Hunting VLD 180g above Re22 or H1000 for my factory barreled gun). Will find out what it likes best.

Have other rifles to shoot for fun, hunting application just became priority in this one. Have my work cut out for me thanks to you guys. Inexpensive ammo just fell below the curve. Will focus my time on Hunting VLD experiments for now. Do not shoot it that much when do will pay. With two bullets and three powders to pick from have more than enough to start with in six combinations. Hope the next post is not about a better killing bullet or powder. While want to know if out there. Will adjust directions if new information becomes available.

Try federal 215 primers, H4831 SC and berger 168 VLD's. I will tell you that the bergers are hard to tune in the 7mm mag because of their high BC so dont get discouraged if the first load you do doesnt fair well. For me the optimal load was 64.6grn and touching. Berger recommends loading them touching, 40 thous off, 80 thous off and then 120 thous off to find a seating depth. Then you can go forwards or backwards until you find the perfect depth.

I contacted Berger and this is what they sent me,

7mm REMINGTON MAGNUM
Bullet Powder Start Load Approximate Start Velocity MAX LOAD Approximate Max Velocity Fill Ratio
168 Grain IMR 7828 SSC 62.0 2855 65.3 3002 95.1%
168 Grain H4831 SC 61.0 2731 64.5 2889 93.4%
168 Grain RE-22 62.0 2832 65.0 2984 96.2%
168 Grain H1000 66.0 2826 69.5 2987 100.1%
168 Grain NORMA MRP2 65.0 2812 68.5 2970 102.4%
168 Grain WIN WXR 62.0 2838 65.3 2982 95.1%
168 Grain AA MAG PRO 65.0 2847 68.0 2984 95.9%
168 Grain Ramshot Magnum 67.0 2845 70.7 3019 98.7%
168 Grain VIHT N165 62.0 2760 65.3 2892 97.5%
168 Grain RETUMBO 66.0 2839 70.4 3022 104.7%
168 Grain RE-19 59.0 2799 62.4 2944 94.3%
168 Grain IMR 4350 55.5 2802 58.3 2920 88.1%
168 Grain IMR 4831 57.5 2772 60.5 2897 90.8%
168 Grain AA XMR 3100 61.0 2743 64.5 2888 96.5%
168 Grain VIHT N560 62.0 2851 65.6 3014 94.0%
168 Grain RE- 25 64.5 2875 67.8 3012 101.9%
168 Grain NORMA MRP 62.5 2868 65.7 3007 95.1%
168 Grain US869 74.5 2795 78.5 2987 113.7%
168 Grain Hybrid 100V 55.5 2730 58.5 2846 93.6%
168 Grain H4350 55.5 2781 58.8 2921

For your twist you can either call Remington or another way is by using a cleaning rod. This can be done from the breech or muzzle end. I will give you muzzle end directions.

Put a jag and patch or bore mop on your cleaning rod and insert in the barrel. Run down until you are just above the chamber. Either using a china marker or tape make a vertical mark on the rod and barrel as index marks. If using tape you can use a long piece and wrap it around the rod at the muzzle and stick the tag ends together to make a "flag". Then slowly pull out the cleaning rod until the flag makes 1 revolution and lines up with your index mark on your barrel. Measure the distance from the mark on the rod to the muzzle and that will be your twist.

Most likely you are going to be 1:10 or 1:9.25 Either will run 168's fine. With the 1:9.25 you should be able to get away with running 180's or even the 190gr Matrix VLD's. That being said, I was going to try the 180's but comparing ballistics charts at 1000 between the 180 and 168, the 168 pretty much wins for me.

180 VLD @ 2850fps 200yd zero, 72F, 75% humidity, 29.92 pressure, sight height 1.5", wind 10mph @ 90 degrees = <span style="color: #CC0000">@ 1K 2193fps, 1922# energy, 205.11" drop, 26.02" drift</span>.

168 VLD (all inputs the same except for a velocity of 2950fps) <span style="color: #CC0000">@ 1K = 2238fps, 1868# energy, 193.30" drop, 26.61" drift</span>. I can stand losing 54# of energy at 1K as it wont amount to a hill of beans on targets or game. Plus I knew for SURE that my twist would run 168's. Those charts were my deciding factor.

I also ran hypotheticals on the hybrid both un modified and also meplat trimmed and pointed for a gain of 8% BC and it edges out both in energy and drift at 1K and beats the 180 VLD in trajectory by 5" @ 1K but has 7" of drop over the 168 VLD @ 1K.

Hope this helps a bit.

7mmRM thank you for your insight. Berger King, Ozzy, and ... You guys rock! Love this place. Thank you all for helping me huge. Berger King the information about tuning the load is appreciated as some ammo needs more of that than others and seems this is one that needs to be tuned, will keep that in mind going forward. Thank you Ozzy for explaining your thought process to go with the 168g. As you could tell had not made the decision yet, but with your help decided now, am going with you. Will immediately start my testing with Berger Match Hunting VLD 168s here also. The 180s may have a little more oomph energy and a little better wind bucking ability while have decided will be happy with 168s here also. Eliminating other factors so will be all I shoot for a while. Also plan to start with Retumbo. To pick one want to try. Gut is telling me my gun my like another. So may compare to Re22, H1000, H4831, or ... if ever not satisfied with Retumbo results nice to have the chart above. So Retumbo and Burger VLD 168s it is. Have my marching orders. Ozzy, am starting down your same path now, and you are ahead of me.

For trajectory do you guys have a favorite? JBM, Berger Ballistics, or something else?

http://www.bergerbullets.com/Quick%20Reference%20Sheets%2011-10-10.pdf
says G7 BC =.316 for 7mm 168g VLD

To figure out trajectory I usually start with JBM. Found three Berger 168g .284 VLDs listed not sure which to pic for the Hunting one at:
http://www.jbmballistics.com/cgi-bin/jbmtraj_simp-5.1.cgi

Note: at JBM I put in Match Target VLD and found it had a G7 BC = .316

Downloaded ballistics program from Berger (had to install the Java update to get it to work on my machine then could not get it to calclulate) at:
http://www.bergerbullets.com/Ballistics%20Program/index.html

Looking through the 7mmRM reload posts most say flying the 168g VLD when work up to about 2950-3050fps they find a sweet spot for good accuracy (once they have the speed picked they tune COL). Here are just a couple examples:

260Shooter is getting 1/2 MOA at 815yd and likes Federal 210M instead of 215M primers at:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2477314

Sendero_Man likes 71g of Retumbo at 3040fps with a group shown at:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1554803

Oregon you can PM me if you want 140 vld, 180 vld and 168 vld personal load work ups if want.